oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

8 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Personally I'd get rid. I wanted us to sign Britt and I think he's done well for us given what has happened in the last 3 years, but the fact is that under our new financial limitations, he wont be getting a new contract here on anything like his current terms.

So either we ship him out now and get some money back (and a large wage of the books a year early), or we continue to pay him for a year and he leaves for nothing next year. If we say hes on £40k, and the value we could probably sell him for is £8m, that's a £10m hit for one further year, which is exactly the sort of poor decision that we have made previously. The sort of poor decision that mounts up and gets you to the point we're at now.

We have Fletcher there who is performing better every year, youngsters coming through as backup, and a Warnock wants to play 433 which is a formation that utilises one central striker. Even if NW wants to bring in another striker, the funds we receive from Britt can probably fund 3/4 nee5⁴players

Nobody is paying 8m for Britt, at best we will get around 4 million for him. Our only hope would be a premier league club or Celtic/Rangers taking a punt on him (which I can't see happening). No club in this division is going to pay that fee for him and then also offer him a similar wage as to what he's on now.

If the rumoured 1 year extension is real, then that's even more incentive to keep him imo. Every other club is in a similar situation to us, they have to cut costs and can't be splashing out mega fees/wages this window (especially in the championship).

Surely it's better value to keep him for a season under Warnock and hope he scores some goals and then trigger his 1 year extension. We could be in a position next season where he's coming off a solid scoring season under Warnock, who will then most likely retire and we have a new manager. This gives the new manager the choice of keeping Britt for a season to go for promotion, or cashing in on him to help build a team. If Warnock is really only here for a year, do we want him in charge of that money for players he likes who the next manager might not?

However if the 1 year optional extension isn't real, then I'd be more inclined to sell him.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Nobody is paying 8m for Britt, at best we will get around 4 million for him. Our only hope would be a premier league club or Celtic/Rangers taking a punt on him (which I can't see happening). No club in this division is going to pay that fee for him and then also offer him a similar wage as to what he's on now.

If the rumoured 1 year extension is real, then that's even more incentive to keep him imo. Every other club is in a similar situation to us, they have to cut costs and can't be splashing out mega fees/wages this window (especially in the championship).

Surely it's better value to keep him for a season under Warnock and hope he scores some goals and then trigger his 1 year extension. We could be in a position next season where he's coming off a solid scoring season under Warnock, who will then most likely retire and we have a new manager. This gives the new manager the choice of keeping Britt for a season to go for promotion, or cashing in on him to help build a team. If Warnock is really only here for a year, do we want him in charge of that money for players he likes who the next manager might not?

However if the 1 year optional extension isn't real, then I'd be more inclined to sell him.

To be fair it took me so long to write that and the edit I hadnt seen the post about the extension and was working under the assumption that this was definitely his final year

And we understand that has been a key factor in Boro missing out on at least one player this summer.

It is suggested a player who was keen on exploring the option of a move to Middlesbrough was told point blank by his partner that she was having none of it and preferred a more eye-pleasing alternative.

It is understood that one player keen on a switch recently arranged to drive up for talks and got snarled up in a string of tailbacks, roadworks and diversions on the motorway and what should have been a routine trip turned into a draining six hour slog.

That formed a firm impression that Teesside was a nightmare to get to that presented a massive hurdle not just for them but for their friends and family who like to attend every game.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jaundiced-perception-middlesbrough-industrial-hell-18815664

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

To be fair it took me so long to write that and the edit I hadnt seen the post about the extension and was working under the assumption that this was definitely his final year

I completely forgot about that rumoured extension as well to be fair. Would be nice to get it confirmed by one of the ITK's on here. Changes everything regarding Britt if it's true.

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

haha. That is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard🤣🤣

My guess is the missus one could be Joe Williams and the 6 hour trek north one is either Amos or Korey Smith.

To think a mere 2 years ago we had Barcelona striker Martin Braithwaite sunning it up on Saltburn beach!

3 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

My guess is the missus one could be Joe Williams and the 6 hour trek north one is either Amos or Korey Smith.

To think a mere 2 years ago we had Barcelona striker Martin Braithwaite sunning it up on Saltburn beach!

Can't forget this gem.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

haha. That is probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

FWIW I was told weeks ago that speaking to Goode his biggest obstacle was his mrs who didn't want to move to Teesside, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him either.

I reckon we're 4 signings away from having a top 10 team, if we got Gibbo, Stewart, Freeman and Roberts in and got shot of Paddy to help fund the loan payments we would have a pretty strong squad and a decent shot of top 10 atleast.

Time is running out until the season starts but with the prolonged window it may be that we're 3 or 4 games in until we have a squad that NW is happy with

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

FWIW I was told weeks ago that speaking to Goode his biggest obstacle was his mrs who didn't want to move to Teesside, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him either.

I excluded Goode because he's gone for 1.5 million and there's no indication we even reached 1 million but knowing Vickers it could be being contorted as the reason we missed out in his mind I guess. Goode always seemed destined for a return to West London there was that strange piece early on that came out saying 'sources were confident Goode prefers a move to QPR' might have been missus driven I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)