oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Raf smog said:

Yes club are expecting 2/3 in before weekend, and gibbo been for talks with Norwich / and Forest none starter with The clubs. Looks like it’s forcing Burnley’s hands. They have ran out of options

Any other names or just whos been mentioned Stewart, Sanogo, Maghama I'm hoping Gibson is included to to put that to bed.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Raf smog said:

Immoral I suppose so!  but I must add quite a few have gone voluntary with a added loyalty payment also So the club have thought of the staff in it all

I don't think a business that is forced to make redundancies in order to keep spending money on a few individuals who'll earn more in a week than some will earn in a year could be considered as 'thinking about the staff'.

Don't get me wrong, realities of running a football club, how much you have to pay players to compete and all that... but if this was any other business which starts losing revenue as a result of bad practices but then continues to pay out huge wages to the 1% whilst sacking it's low-earners, we'd (hopefully) call it out as the hypercapitalism bull *** that it is.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

This thread is already 455 pages long, and sod all has happened so far. Imagine how 'hot' it'll get if we actually sign players?

I quite agree. If we do sign someone we will have 10 posters saying he is not good enough, another 20 saying we are strengthening in the wrong areas, 16 saying his stats are rubbish, 12 saying that we should give him a chance and there are gems to be had overseas, league 2 etc, 8 saying he is too expensive, 6 saying he is too cheap and another 20 arguing Bausor should have signed him two months ago. Can't wait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
9 minutes ago, oldman said:

I quite agree. If we do sign someone we will have 10 posters saying he is not good enough, another 20 saying we are strengthening in the wrong areas, 16 saying his stats are rubbish, 12 saying that we should give him a chance and there are gems to be had overseas, league 2 etc, 8 saying he is too expensive, 6 saying he is too cheap and another 20 arguing Bausor should have signed him two months ago. Can't wait.

I don't think we even have 92 regularly active posters mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think a business that is forced to make redundancies in order to keep spending money on a few individuals who'll earn more in a week than some will earn in a year could be considered as 'thinking about the staff'.

Don't get me wrong, realities of running a football club, how much you have to pay players to compete and all that... but if this was any other business which starts losing revenue as a result of bad practices but then continues to pay out huge wages to the 1% whilst sacking it's low-earners, we'd (hopefully) call it out as the hypercapitalism bull *** that it is.

As you say though, thats football. If we dont pay wages, we dont compete and the club shrinks further in terms of the jobs that can be offered to the community. I would love to see a big change in how football clubs are ran but it seems like its a long way off in this country, especially in the top two divisions. 

Arsenal made 55 members of staff reduantant whilst having 100 million pound player wage bill

• Like 1

I see Rotherham have loaned Jamal Blackman for the season. The game has become ridiculous with Players who once would have been playing football in the lower leagues and hopefully catching the attention of bigger clubs now just seemingly content to sit in a huge squad for years, achieving nothing in the game just perpetually being loaned out with zero affinity to any club or fans. Good luck to the lad if he finds it rewarding on a personal level but these Premiership puppy farms need to be closed down.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I would love to know what you do in the community to feel you have a moral highground over Steve Gibson?

Interesting take. And by interesting I mean bizarre.

It was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at the conflict between Gibson’s persona as a local man done-good with strong pride in the area versus some of his actions which show a disregard for the same community. For example, see:

a) his stranglehold on the gazette

b) cutting costs by firing staff that earn less in a year than some players earn in a week 

c) ticket prices 

Obviously, Gibson has also done a lot of good for the community. Nuance is important. He should be held accountable for both his positive and negative actions. 

11 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

As you say though, thats football. If we dont pay wages, we dont compete and the club shrinks further in terms of the jobs that can be offered to the community. I would love to see a big change in how football clubs are ran but it seems like its a long way off in this country, especially in the top two divisions. 

Arsenal made 55 members of staff reduantant whilst having 100 million pound player wage bill

At the same time, we made people redundant last year before the pandemic was even a thing. Fact is, we're quite a frivolous club in terms of our spending, there's relatively little strategy involved and at the end of the failure, the lower-earners had to take the sacrifice. So I'm less inclined to just blanket blame what football is, it's far too easy to just say football is the reason people lose jobs and that we have to accept that. We took risks football clubs shouldn't, we don't put long-term plans in place and then people lost their jobs because of it.

Probably wouldn't touch the redundancies as much as it did at Arsenal but I wonder whether any of our players would volunteer a wage-deduction to try and save jobs in the club. I know not everyone at Arsenal did it and yeah, it's a touchy subject when you're asking someone to take a wage cut, that's not really fair either... but it's a scary time for some people who are entering the jobs market right now, with jobs being cut left, right and centre. Even just a grand off one of their base salaries amounts to 52k a year that could save 1-2 jobs at least. Though then we're out in the market trying to sign more players on 10-20k weekly salaries, it's all a bit muddled.

46 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Interesting take. And by interesting I mean bizarre.

It was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at the conflict between Gibson’s persona as a local man done-good with strong pride in the area versus some of his actions which show a disregard for the same community. For example, see:

a) his stranglehold on the gazette

b) cutting costs by firing staff that earn less in a year than some players earn in a week 

c) ticket prices 

Obviously, Gibson has also done a lot of good for the community. Nuance is important. He should be held accountable for both his positive and negative actions. 

Why is it bizarre? you targetted Gibson and questioned his man of the people tag (which is hardly self proclaimed) and showed no nuance whatsoever.

I didnt see any balance of the MFC Foundation and they have done over however many years and particularly during the pandemic or comparisons with the amount of redundancies across the game and in other businesses in the hospitality industry. The net gain from Steve Gibson saving our club in 1986 at least deserves a little bit of consideration

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

At the same time, we made people redundant last year before the pandemic was even a thing. Fact is, we're quite a frivolous club in terms of our spending, there's relatively little strategy involved and at the end of the failure, the lower-earners had to take the sacrifice. So I'm less inclined to just blanket blame what football is, it's far too easy to just say football is the reason people lose jobs and that we have to accept that. We took risks football clubs shouldn't, we don't put long-term plans in place and then people lost their jobs because of it.

Probably wouldn't touch the redundancies as much as it did at Arsenal but I wonder whether any of our players would volunteer a wage-deduction to try and save jobs in the club. I know not everyone at Arsenal did it and yeah, it's a touchy subject when you're asking someone to take a wage cut, that's not really fair either... but it's a scary time for some people who are entering the jobs market right now, with jobs being cut left, right and centre. Even just a grand off one of their base salaries amounts to 52k a year that could save 1-2 jobs at least. Though then we're out in the market trying to sign more players on 10-20k weekly salaries, it's all a bit muddled.

I agree we have definitely made mistakes as a club and a lot of that is by being actively part of the boom and bust attitude to get to the premier league at all costs, we are definitely part of that problem. The reality is that jobs were created on the basis of performing at a certain level (going back to gambling on fortunes) and bring in a certain amount of revenue which we have slipped well below, hence the redundancies and cutting player costs as well but it is still a tough pill to take when you see some of the wages paid.

I definitely think its a good idea regarding wage reductions and should have been explored but can you see it happening? Players will argue that its a short career but I am not sure there is much creedence to that when youre on 10k plus a week. The whole system is a mess but we are definitely a part of that

35 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

And this is the ugly reality of modern football. Just one of many reasons why I'm increasingly less interested on it.

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)