Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Scottish league has improved massively since them days. Plus he plays in the top league now, Dundee United were promoted last season. Aye it's a bit of a risk but I have no doubt he'd score goals. I agree that we definitely shouldn't be splashing out 3 million on him though. More like 1.5 - 2m.

Would you complain if we had signed Ronnie Schwartz when he had a similar record for Silkeborg in the 2nd division? 🤔

Also if Scotland is a mickey mouse league, that doesn't make the Superliga much better.

image.thumb.png.5c21102f35d25e83f99e7956931ee66c.png

 

Yep I'd have him more in the 1.5 mill - 2 mill range from what I know of him (which is admittedly very little). Do you happen to know much about the standard of the Scottish championship? Has that improved massively too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Scottish league has improved massively since them days. Plus he plays in the top league now, Dundee United were promoted last season. Aye it's a bit of a risk but I have no doubt he'd score goals. I agree that we definitely shouldn't be splashing out 3 million on him though. More like 1.5 - 2m.

Would you complain if we had signed Ronnie Schwartz when he had a similar record for Silkeborg in the 2nd division? 🤔

Also if Scotland is a mickey mouse league, that doesn't make the Superliga much better.

image.thumb.png.5c21102f35d25e83f99e7956931ee66c.png

 

Haha yeah I would. I would even be against signing him now despite being the top goal scorer last season in the top league. Generally the two leagues aren’t of high standard but the top teams have some very good players that are even too good for the championship never mind us. There are few players I would sign outside the top 3 teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Haha yeah I would. I would even be against signing him now despite being the top goal scorer last season in the top league. Generally the two leagues aren’t of high standard but the top teams have some very good players that are even too good for the championship never mind us. There are few players I would sign outside the top 3 teams. 

But Ronnie plays for the Champions? 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

 

It's a real shame he hasn't come out of the Danish leagues, right BD?

I certainly would sign anyone from the second tier in Denmark or the bottom half of the top leagu, unless it’s clearly a very young talent like the 16 year old kid who was just snapped up by Ajax for 2,5 million pounds. If Shankland was 20 and improving then fair enough but this is a 25 year old who has spent almost all of his career in lower leagues of Scotland. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Ah yes the famous quote that indicates you should always take a chance on an overpriced lower league footballer. We might hit the 1/10000 jackpot😆

I was merely stating that players can and have made the step up.  But for every Jamie Vardy or Bernie Slaven even, there will be ten Chris Freestones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

But Ronnie plays for the Champions? 😄

Well he is on their books but doesn’t really play🙃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Yep I'd have him more in the 1.5 mill - 2 mill range from what I know of him (which is admittedly very little). Do you happen to know much about the standard of the Scottish championship? Has that improved massively too?

Admittedly there is a fair step down in quality. I'd put it at League 2/League 1 level (but we were willing to sign a CB from League 2 for 1m so). Scottish championship is weird in that there's always a mix of strong teams and absolute tinpot clubs (Alloa etc).

Shankland has been highly rated for quite a few years now, no doubt it's a step up for him but he's genuinely an incredible finisher. He's also a Scottish international now which puts his price up a little. Honestly thought I think this rumour is *** cause I can't see Dundee United selling him unless it's for a very nice offer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scotty189 said:

Where's this shankland link come from? 

some ITK on a Dundee Forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Well he is on their books but doesn’t really play🙃 

Que? 

Since the restart he has played roughly 500 minutes and scored 4 goals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Que? 

Since the restart he has played roughly 500 minutes and scored 4 goals 

It looks like he is on his way out. Hasn’t traveled with the team for their champions league game tomorrow. He was a panic signing. Isn’t good enough for Midtjylland. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I certainly would sign anyone from the second tier in Denmark or the bottom half of the top leagu, unless it’s clearly a very young talent like the 16 year old kid who was just snapped up by Ajax for 2,5 million pounds. If Shankland was 20 and improving then fair enough but this is a 25 year old who has spent almost all of his career in lower leagues of Scotland. 

Which is why you watch them and see if they can make the step up. His goals aren’t just typical poacher tap ins, 100 penalties and bundled headers. They are all ‘good’ well taken goals. At the very least he is clearly better than the Scottish championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

The camerawork is terrible.

The defending is awful.

Some of the finishing is excellent.

Here are his 19/20 highlights too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know why the big two in Scotland not made a move for Shackland? They two usually try and take the top talent in Scotland. And both Celtic and Rangers have wanted 2 strikers each this summer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Here are his 19/20 highlights too.

same again

"The defending is awful.

Some of the finishing is excellent."

some nice movement and very direct

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • I think people are getting carried away in believing NW will build a potential promotional squad next season, were as I believe he is employed to balance the books with bargain bin players for championship sustainability.  I don’t believe NW signed to ensure promotion only then to walk away if it was achieved, because the squad would need to be rebuilt to maintain its position. Like I said I believe his role is to mop up and leave, which makes sense simply because he is not building for the following season and has nothing to prove or answer for, he trots off into retirement, after balancing the books with  a team that can reasonably compete in a league the town can afford.    
    • I have watched some higlights different angles from the first Swansea goal .. If the ball doesnt deflect off Spence .. It would be off target across the box
    • I agree with all that but I'm talking about next season rather than this one and the parameters that Warnock may have to work with and in the context of some of the names and amount of new players being suggested on here generally. Not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm in any way but I think there will need to be a harsh new financial reality in football generally and with Boro in particular.  I'm speculating that ÂŁ12M is the absolute minimum wage bill but SG might be willing to find more funds. A full season without gate income at the Riverside, Bulkhaul hit by Brexit and the Hotel closed for the last 12 months will have had a significant hit. Out of the eleven mentioned, Bettenelli, McNair, Hall, Howson, Saville, Bolasie, Akpom, Fletcher, Kebano, Roberts and Assombalonga, six of them, (Bettenelli, Fletcher, Bolasie, Kebano, Roberts and Assombalonga) won't be there and if in the case of Fletcher for example is here it won't be on the same terms. I'm guessing that Hall is nearer the ÂŁ10K a week purely from reports around the time of his transfer leaving just McNair, Howson and Saville on the bigger salaries. How much we are contributing to Bolasie, Kebano and Bettenelli's wages at the minute I have no idea but it is probably eye watering.
×
×
  • Create New...