oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, revenue will likely go down for everyone.

I haven't seen any stories about us trying to reduce our wage bill at this point in time.  I thought that was the previous two years where it was clear we'd handed out contracts that were less than ideal?  Besides Assombalonga, who do we have left on big contracts?  There isn't anyone else that I can see. 

We are going to sign players and they are going to be on decent contracts so we are going to be increasing that wage bill aren't we?  We 'know' Hall turned down £12,500 at QPR to come here so let's make an assumption that he's on more than that.  We 'know' we were in for Moore, who wanted really good money, and we didn't bail out of those negotiations, he just chose another club.  We are supposed to be after Roberts who is likely to be on more money than everyone currently here other than Assombalonga.  Sanogo isn't gonna come cheap neither would Bamba, if we really have had an interest in him, and the same will go for Stewart.  I bet we couldn't get any of them for less than £15k a week and more likely £20k+ for a couple of them. 

Now that Ayala, Clayton, Friend, Gestede, Randolph, Howson (depending on what we've offered) have all gone or being offered reduced terms, who is left on comparable money to that?  Fletcher maybe, McNair and Saville possibly, but that's it.  So we're talking about signing players right now who would immediately become some of our highest earners.  

Fletcher, Britt, McNair and Saville would be on good contracts I'd imagine. 

My impression was that we were trying to be more sustainable as a club which is why I thought the new players would be on less than the outgoing players. Maybe I've imagined it, i can't be arsed scrolling through newspaper articles. 

Let's be honest we are both guessing on numbers anyway so who knows. Its not something I particularly care about very much so I don't mind being wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Everyone knows the best way to get fans back into the stadium is by not signing players and making them watch the same team that nearly got relegated last season, duh

Rather harsh, don't you think?

With the club's financial situation, we were never going to make wholesale changes, even without the months of zero attendance.

The pandemic has just made an already grim situation that much worse. We'd have done well to make 3 or 4 signings at the end of a normal season. Now the rebuild has effectively been put back another season.

Also, the main reason we nearly got relegated was because we had that clown Woodgate in charge. Warnock has already demonstrated he can get decent performances out of the at least 50% of the time.

Phase 1 (the rescue job) has been completed. Next season (Phase 2) is the papering-over-the-cracks job, getting the club to mid-table respectability. Phase 3 (the rebuild) will hopefully happen after that.

Who knows - maybe Gibson will find a bit more spare change down the back of his sofa at Christmas, to let NW do a bit of shopping in the January sales?

• Like 1

If this isn’t the right time to reinvest, when we’ve just shipped out regular first teamers, sold players in the Pulis fire sale and actually need to rebuild a squad, Will there ever be a right time? 

I don’t want to have another season of treading water and essentially being there to make the numbers up, but that’s what’s going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My impression was that we were trying to be more sustainable as a club which is why I thought the new players would be on less than the outgoing players. Maybe I've imagined it, i can't be arsed scrolling through newspaper articles. 

Let's be honest we are both guessing on numbers anyway so who knows. Its not something I particularly care about very much so I don't mind being wrong. 

Well it makes sense that anyone we sign will be on less than the guys we've let go (the highest earning ones anyway).

Instead of having players on £30-40k a week, I would imagine the bar would be set at £20k max. Not a huge drop but maybe enough to make the wage bill bearable.

Of course, it also depends on how many of the squad are on that kind of money. I'd hazard a guess its half, or less. 

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Speak for yourself, I'm not guessing 🤑

I think McNair and Saville should be on decent contracts but I don't see them being at the same level as Britt's.

teams ranked by squad size:

Norwich: 35 

Barnsley: 34

watford/Stoke: 32

forrest: 31

Preston: 30

Bristol : 28

Brentford/rotherham: 27

Swansea/coventry: 26

Birmingham/Luton:25

bournemouth/Huddersfield/Derby/Blackburn/Reading:24

Cardiff/Millwall/Sheffield:23

QPR: 22

Middlesbrough/wycombe:20 

1 minute ago, tmcc said:

teams ranked by squad size:

Norwich: 35 

Barnsley: 34

watford/Stoke: 32

forrest: 31

Preston: 30

Bristol : 28

Brentford/rotherham: 27

Swansea/coventry: 26

Birmingham/Luton:25

bournemouth/Huddersfield/Derby/Blackburn/Reading:24

Cardiff/Millwall/Sheffield:23

QPR: 22

Middlesbrough/wycombe:20 

I'm actually quite glad about having a smaller squad, it's been far too big for ages

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

If this isn’t the right time to reinvest, when we’ve just shipped out regular first teamers, sold players in the Pulis fire sale and actually need to rebuild a squad, Will there ever be a right time? 

I don’t want to have another season of treading water and essentially being there to make the numbers up, but that’s what’s going to happen.

Unfortunately I think this is exactly what we will be doing this season. 
The revenue lost and continued uncertainty due to COVID-19 means they will be a few clubs unwilling to splash the cash. 

• Like 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I'm actually quite glad about having a smaller squad, it's been far too big for ages

i agree somewhat, however the problem is 9 players in the squad are 22 or younger, alot of them  unproven, djiksteel, bola, Browne, nathan wood, Stephen walker etc. it also includes 3 goalkeepers all of whom havnt really proven themselves, so effectively we 17 outfield players in our entire squad. if you take out the unproven players, were down to about a squad of 12 players somewhat proven at this level, and thats being generous as iv not excluded coulson and spence.

8 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

If we are we're doing a pretty crap job of it

Well we obviously are trying, but yeah being crap at carrying it out is nothing new for us.

Are the same rules with regard to size of first team squad (25) still in force? and did they implement the home-grown rule that was being discussed a while back?  also assume Academy players not named in first team squad are still permissible...they change things so often that I am never sure any more...but seems strange that some teams have so many extras so close to beginning of season

35 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I'm not sure many on here are saying we shouldn't be trying to invest. I think the reality is that Gibson either can't or won't throw loads of money at things. 

Edited by Duvel
18 minutes ago, tmcc said:

i agree somewhat, however the problem is 9 players in the squad are 22 or younger, alot of them  unproven, djiksteel, bola, Browne, nathan wood, Stephen walker etc. it also includes 3 goalkeepers all of whom havnt really proven themselves, so effectively we 17 outfield players in our entire squad. if you take out the unproven players, were down to about a squad of 12 players somewhat proven at this level, and thats being generous as iv not excluded coulson and spence.

I wouldn't say Dijksteel is unproven and Browne has experience just not at this level, don't get me wrong I'd like numbers in but not loads

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I wouldn't say Dijksteel is unproven and Browne has experience just not at this level, don't get me wrong I'd like numbers in but not loads

i would say hes not really proven at championship level, but hes a decent prospect. And again agree, i like the idea of smaller squad, but my issue is the squad needs to have right players and balance, currently we do not. i think we need 4 more players in and then we'd be good to go. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)