oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Yeah we have told them our terms and won't budge it seems. So they are trying to see if he would possibly go somewhere else for more. Most likely he will come here but it will be end of the window in October. 

same with all the players we've had at rockcliffe, told them the terms and wont budge even for 500 quid. i like it. if all clubs did the same player wages would drop and so would the debts. idiot chairman/owners chasing the dream paying over the odds is what has been killing our clubs

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Who are we actually trying hard to sign then? 

Sky have linked us with Stewart/Phillips/Sanogo through their own sourcing, all of those are still in play.

Gazette said Murphy's a loan target and Hoilett a possibility probably for the same 'slot' but who knows.

That's 4 we seem to be in for, plus Gibson makes it 5 signings pretty much the 'spine' type improvement Warnock wanted, plus we know he's scouring for a LB on loan after he spilled the news about the Celtic lad. I want movement as much as everyone else but the players we've been told we want are laid out there it's not like all these names have moved and we're sat around with nothing to go on it seems like we know alot of names of who we want and are moving for we just aren't getting them over the line yet.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

same with all the players we've had at rockcliffe, told them the terms and wont budge even for 500 quid. i like it. if all clubs did the same player wages would drop and so would the debts. idiot chairman/owners chasing the dream paying over the odds is what has been killing our clubs

All the clubs won't do the same though.

There's a real risk we'll just be left looking like mugs and having to sign dregs.

It's been over a month since our one and only signing, and we've been repeatedly rejected, Warnock was originally wanting 7-8 players, we'll not get close to that at this rate.

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Although appointing managers with the same beliefs should reduce those differences in opinion.

Does that happen in reality though? Beyond pretty much only Brentford and Athletico Bilbao, everyone changes everything every time a new manager comes in

It's a nice ideal which I wholeheartedly agree with but it's hardly common

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dynamo Kev said:

This. Great post

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get  nervous about the lack of signings. 

You’re on your own @Oldham boro Everyone on here are always really relaxed about the lack of signings 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
11 minutes ago, Oldham boro said:

Don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get  nervous about the lack of signings. 

Im hoping the relatively quiet weekend has meant we have been finalizing deals ready to announce 2/3 tommorrow.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dynamo Kev said:

This isn't going to happen though. So the choice is simple - try to compete or get left behind. If were not in a position to compete financially... then im afraid there's only the one option left, and its already been happening.

13 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Does that happen in reality though? Beyond pretty much only Brentford and Athletico Bilbao, everyone changes everything every time a new manager comes in

It's a nice ideal which I wholeheartedly agree with but it's hardly common

I'm certain they won't be the only teams to have had a philosophy and stuck with it for a few years regardless of manager otherwise a Director of Football/Sporting Director would be an incredibly rare thing in the top level of football, but it's not. 

Worth bearing in mind of course that philosophies don't just have to be football tactics as we are mostly talking about here, they could be recruitment practices or the development of young players, where senior members in a team will be kept to a minimum in order to give youth team players a chance.

The fact is we don't do any of those things unless we have to. We don't pick a manager for their tactical style, we don't have an ironed out recruitment methodology and the route to the first team from the young lads hasn't been great. One thing you can give Pulis some credit for is that he gave the younger players a chance in the cup games but that again would be a philosophy of the manager, not the club. Woodgate didn't pick them because he wanted to, Coulson aside, he did it because he had no other options.

Whether it's common or not is pretty meaningless in terms of how we judge the club on these things. I don't really care if anyone else isn't doing it, I care that we aren't doing anything like it at all and that it shows in the decline of the club over the past 3 years at least.

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)