oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Our problem isn't just that we change coaches, its the wide swings in playing style between one manager and the next. Each manager then wants to sell the current players and bring his own men in. 

You need to have a little bit of consistency otherwise you are just wasting money. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm certain they won't be the only teams to have had a philosophy and stuck with it for a few years regardless of manager otherwise a Director of Football/Sporting Director would be an incredibly rare thing in the top level of football, but it's not. 

Worth bearing in mind of course that philosophies don't just have to be football tactics as we are mostly talking about here, they could be recruitment practices or the development of young players, where senior members in a team will be kept to a minimum in order to give youth team players a chance.

The fact is we don't do any of those things unless we have to. We don't pick a manager for their tactical style, we don't have an ironed out recruitment methodology and the route to the first team from the young lads hasn't been great. One thing you can give Pulis some credit for is that he gave the younger players a chance in the cup games but that again would be a philosophy of the manager, not the club. Woodgate didn't pick them because he wanted to, Coulson aside, he did it because he had no other options.

Whether it's common or not is pretty meaningless in terms of how we judge the club on these things. I don't really care if anyone else isn't doing it, I care that we aren't doing anything like it at all and that it shows in the decline of the club over the past 3 years at least.

To be fair, there are more clubs if you think of Swansea too and a few others.

But we can go around the houses on this all we like, we messed up as a club massively when we appointed Monk and gave him 40 million to spend and then quit the whole project after 6 months. We still haven't recovered from that and all we have had since is managers who come in, talk about how bad those transfers were and then can do nothing about it. We are in this for the long run now because all momentum from the success of our promotion has been lost and we are right back to square one. We can hope for a club philosophy and something going forward but there are not many Stuart Webber's about and we will be doing it on the cheap.

We all live in hope of being in the right direction again soon but I don't have much hope for the short to medium term.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dynamo Kev said:

same with all the players we've had at rockcliffe, told them the terms and wont budge even for 500 quid. i like it. if all clubs did the same player wages would drop and so would the debts. idiot chairman/owners chasing the dream paying over the odds is what has been killing our clubs

I agree with not being held to ransom, but at the same time if you buy cheap you tend to pay twice.

At some point you’re going to sign some players and I would rather we pay that bit extra (within reason) and get a player that fits with what the manager, scouts etc think is right for us. Otherwise we just get a lot further down the list only to end up sending them on loan, trying to sell them next year or hoping they’re better in league one 😆

So my viewpoint is this.....

If Warnock was told he could have 5 players at an average wage is 5k a week.  That means he’s been given a 25k a week budget for wages.  Surely we are better paying 8k a week to secure 3 players he really wants rather than messing around trying to get 5 at 5k and ending up with players he doesn’t want.

1 minute ago, Youngy228 said:

So my viewpoint is this.....

If Warnock was told he could have 5 players at an average wage is 5k a week.  That means he’s been given a 25k a week budget for wages.  Surely we are better paying 8k a week to secure 3 players he really wants rather than messing around trying to get 5 at 5k and ending up with players he doesn’t want.

Got much more than that in terms of wage budget

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Got much more than that in terms of wage budget

I don’t doubt that.  My point was trying to suggest that rather than having this hardline on max wage - surely less players that suit the manager is better....

Just now, Youngy228 said:

I don’t doubt that.  My point was trying to suggest that rather than having this hardline on max wage - surely less players that suit the manager is better....

Maybe we should just spend 40k a week and get one good player... has anyone got Rudi Gestede's number? 

• Haha 1
Just now, Duvel said:

Maybe we should just spend 40k a week and get one good player... has anyone got Rudi Gestede's number? 

That’s not what i mean but if we are missing out on 1st and 2nd choices based on small wage differences then surely better to get fewer players but the ones the manager wants

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

That’s not what i mean but if we are missing out on 1st and 2nd choices based on small wage differences then surely better to get fewer players but the ones the manager wants

I know I was just winding you up 🤭😂 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Borodane said:

But did you know that before we appointed him?

When I heard his name was in the frame I was doubtful, he’d had a long run of losses at the end of his Leeds tenure and I just didn’t think he would be the man to get us back up. 

He then went and made Britt our club record signing and that put my fears beyond doubt. 

Just to confirm what another poster said previously, one of the other trialists who played for the u23s was Levi Amanatchi.

He was one of the goalscorers in the Hull game.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)