oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Hope, you're right. So he want's one in next week then 3 or 4 before the deadline. So five in total?

He's said he wants two ST's and a midfielder

So assuming the other two are a GK then either a CB or a creative player?

Has to be GK and cb, think we need a LB too though

2 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Hope, you're right. So he want's one in next week then 3 or 4 before the deadline. So five in total?

That would mean once again we havent a solid Left Back if we end up playing a back four, unless Bola is up to it.

I take it more as trying to put a positive spin on a poor situation.

I'm sure he'd love more than 3-4 if he thought it would actually happen.

He thought he'd get another signing in the next week over 5 weeks ago, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

But, assuming there is one, the praise of Wood and now asking whether he actually needs another centre back makes me think it's not Gibson.

Just now, thatoldchestnut said:

That would mean once again we havent a solid Left Back if we end up playing a back four, unless Bola is up to it.

I don't think you'll see a back 4 very often next season tbh, looks set to be the 352 for sure.

1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

I be frankly shocked if we manage to bring in 3-4 players 

He wants 2 strikers and a holding midfielder as priority then after that it looks like GK/CB as a luxury then supplement with loans for other areas later on if needed.

Doesn't seem too heavy a lift he's put Dijksteel/McNair/Woods in at CB in pre season they've all really impressed him I can see his logic it's not a logic of Mogga's 'it is what it is' its him learning about players in a pre season and adapting what we need.

Warnock's far too reasonable and logical for Boro working with multi million pound players he has already instead of piling them onto the bench it'll never catch on.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

if he wants 2 more strikers then we are 100% going two up top. 

3 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Just fear we're going to sign no creative players like Roberts and if we do it will only be one of them yet again.

Don't worry, this season will be the one the exact same midfield and wide players suddenly become able to break teams down at home 

4 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Just fear we're going to sign no creative players like Roberts and if we do it will only be one of them yet again.

Where is the space for a creative player like Roberts if we end up with 4 solid strikers rotating for the top 2 and 2 centre mids in front of a sitter where is the room for Roberts or a #10 or a winger?

There's definitely an argument for a forward thinking centre mid other than Browne, Tav or Wing that's something I think we are short on unless he thinks he can get the Saville from Millwall going again.

• Like 1

That's surely 2 strikers, a DM and possibly a CB then?

Dijksteel/McNair as the Beckenbauer style CB, Fry, Hall, Wood, Stubbs as the traditionals. But Dijksteel is also the only real competition for Spence at RWB, so could probably do with another body in at the back.

A holding mid to battle with Howson, Saville, and Wing. Two strikers to test The Ass and Fletch.

GK - Stojanovic / Pears / Mejias

CB - McNair / ???
CB - Hall / Stubbs
CB - Fry / Wood

RWB - Spence / Dijksteel
LWB - Coulson / Johnson / Bola

CM - Howson / ??? / Liddle
CM - Saville / Wing
AM - Tavernier / Browne

ST - Fletcher / ???
ST - Assombalonga / ??? / Walker

Also Folarin in contention if we went for a traditional Winger system. 

Is Folarin a winger haven’t seen much of him? Would like to see Isaiah Jones given an opportunity too 

In that interview he praised Folarin and intimated that we would play 352, is that right? Where would Folarin play in that formation?

4 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

That's surely 2 strikers, a DM and possibly a CB then?

Dijksteel/McNair as the Beckenbauer style CB, Fry, Hall, Wood, Stubbs as the traditionals. But Dijksteel is also the only real competition for Spence at RWB, so could probably do with another body in at the back.

A holding mid to battle with Howson, Saville, and Wing. Two strikers to test The Ass and Fletch.

GK - Stojanovic / Pears / Mejias

CB - McNair / ???
CB - Hall / Stubbs
CB - Fry / Wood

RWB - Spence / Dijksteel
LWB - Coulson / Johnson / Bola

CM - Howson / ??? / Liddle
CM - Saville / Wing
AM - Tavernier / Browne

ST - Fletcher / ???
ST - Assombalonga / ??? / Walker

Also Folarin in contention if we went for a traditional Winger system. 

I think he's planning on Folarin being backup to Spence at RWB that's where he's played in the pre season games.

Folarin has the delivery/trickery/pace to be a wingback especially because we've seen Spence at various points not play due to fatigue or fade late in games might be the perfect option for late in games when Spence tires.

• Like 2