oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Would be nice if they could put a clause in giving us a buy-back priority if Pears does push on....good luck to the lad either way..he has the makings and if his defence had shielded him properly, he wouldn't have got half the flak he did 

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

could easily be the next Jason Steele

Thats how he looks to me. 

• Like 5

Bettinelli, Morsy, Woodrow would all be great signings and improve us without doubt!

Fingers crossed we get them over the line ASAP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DevKWat said:

If Warnock doesn’t rate any of the keepers can’t see anyone but Betinelli starting at Watford 

I know some people are sceptical about playing 3 at the back, but I do think, whatever the formation, Warnock will start with the full eleven on the pitch.

If not it’s going to be a long evening. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A shame that Pears is leaving, but I don't currently think we're losing too much.

I'd have preferred him to stay and go out on loan, I think he's being daft here.

He was going to go to League Two Macclesfield on loan before injuries presented him an opportunity last season, I don't think he should see himself as above that level now on the back of half a season where we largely floundered.

He should have signed a new contract and got a full season under his belt in the lower leagues.

I expect him to go the way of Conor Ripley and fizzle out.

1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I know some people are sceptical about playing 3 at the back, but I do think, whatever the formation, Warnock will start with the full eleven on the pitch.

That would be a hell of a debut

"alright Marcus....good luck!"

• Haha 1

Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We managed to beat Newcastle 5-1 with 10 on the pitch so I reckon the best tactic would be to start with 10 men. Easy this Football management lark...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It would be entertaining if nothing else. 

Expect Bettinelli to be confirmed today and Meijas leaving to join Dinamo Bucharest. Pears will join Blackburn before the weekend.

1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

Bettinelli, Morsy, and Sanogo in and the squad starts taking a bit more of a fleshed out shape:

GK - Bettinelli / Stojanovic / Pears / Brynn

CB - Dijksteel / McNair
CB - Hall / Stubbs
CB - Fry / Wood

RWB - Spence / Folarin
LWB - Coulson / Johnson / Bola

CM - Morsy / Howson
CM - Saville / Wing
AM - Tavernier / Browne

ST - Fletcher / Sanogo
ST - Assombalonga / Walker

It's clear there's still areas to strengthen, but encouraging developments and starting to have a balance we've not seen in years. 

I'm not sure balance is the right word - certainly filling out the squad with decent players. But to me balance means you are strong in defence and attack as well as from left to right of the pitch. We still have absolutely zero creativity and no ability to play effectively in formations other than 532. I think even with those signings were still 2 or 3 away from being able to claim were in any way balanced.

Have we ever let a youngster go and then thought 'Wow, that was a mistake!'? James Morrison was probably the biggest, maybe Lee Cattermole for what we replaced him with? Letting Chris Smalling go back down south before he joined Man Utd for millions? But apart from that I think the club have been pretty good at letting academy go

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoroJoey said:

Have we ever let a youngster go and then thought 'Wow, that was a mistake!'? James Morrison was probably the biggest, maybe Lee Cattermole for what we replaced him with? Letting Chris Smalling go back down south before he joined Man Utd for millions? But apart from that I think the club have been pretty good at letting academy go

Matt Doherty apparently had trials with us too!

Blackburn appear to be  the destination of all our academy players that just don't quite make it to first team regulars. I mean Harry Chapman, Ritchie Smallwood and now Pears

6 minutes ago, Marvanelli said:

Matt Doherty apparently had trials with us too!

Its well known that Rio Ferdinand did as well. As did Chris Brunt.