oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

A Number of championship clubs are set to be interested in Sander Svendsen. A Norwegian striker who plays for danish side OB. He started last season really well but faded badly. I really we aren’t one of those clubs as I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough for championship football. A fee of around 1 million pounds has been mentioned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

I'll say there was a bizarre period after relegation through Pulis' time where the Gazette and phone ins were full of this idea that every signing had to be 4-8 million pound players, or be a Murphy brother and had to be 'Championship tested' which led to Vickers crusading against fans 'expecting signings' when players like Bolasie would cost Boro  x amount and there is no other wingers out there so thats that.

Even last year people act like Woodgate had pennies the bloke still spent 4 million on Bola/Browne/Dijksteel/Stoj a few years ago that was our 'going for promotion' budget.

If Warnock ends up spending 4-5 million without sales it will be seen as 'no ambition' and Gibson pinching pennies when in reality it's actually a decent budget given to him by Gibson it's just making sure he spends it right. 

Every article is exactly the same 

"It's no secret that Boro are in short supply of both pace and power and [Insert Manager's Name] will no doubt look to address this in the Summer/January (Please circle) Transfer window. 

These 'Exciting' attacking players will come at a premium though and [Manager] will be looking to get more 'bang for his buck' and might have to turn to the loan window. Blah blah blah Hemo Hitman Hugill used to work in the Dickens!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, Changing Times said:

If the aim is to make a profit then that's great.  If the aim is to achieve something like promotion then Brentford are failing at the moment.  You may as well choose the 'Huddersfield model', or the 'Burnley model' or the 'Norwich model' or the 'Brighton model' or, God forbid, the 'Boro model', as it currently stands, as we've all been in the Premier League whilst Brentford haven't.  Each club has to find their own way to try and achieve what they ultimately want to achieve.

many clubs have the aim promotion and fail, so if your not getting promoted making a healthy profit is the next best thing, i dont think any club has made more money that them outside the premier league. 
Also, id argue that brentford historically are a much smaller club than those mentioned, so the fact there at the top end of the table challenging is a credit to club. they managed to invest their money wisely (building new stadium etc)  and i assume its only a matter of time before they go up. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Smogzilla said:

Ah I'm not sure that's true. For all the investment that squad has seen they had finished no higher than 9th in the 3 seasons before the last one. It has taken them a long time to get where they are now. 

I just mean there's a misconception that the players Brentford sign are ones for the future but it isn't true

Benrahma and Watkins produced 20 goals and 20 assists in their first championship seasons and cost a combined £3m

3 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I just mean there's a misconception that the players Brentford sign are ones for the future but it isn't true

Benrahma and Watkins produced 20 goals and 20 assists in their first championship seasons and cost a combined £3m

It will be interesting to see Brentford with money. Often teams/managers who are excellent on a budget totally mess it up when they get control of big bucks. If I was the Brentford chairman I’d be tempted to keep the money to one side and give the recruitment team a £15m budget again.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, tmcc said:

many clubs have the aim promotion and fail, so if your not getting promoted making a healthy profit is the next best thing, i dont think any club has made more money that them outside the premier league. 
Also, id argue that brentford historically are a much smaller club than those mentioned, so the fact there at the top end of the table challenging is a credit to club. they managed to invest their money wisely (building new stadium etc)  and i assume its only a matter of time before they go up. 

It's still failure.  I want to see Boro playing in the Premier League, I have no interest at all in them making a profit as that means absolutely nothing to me as a fan. You can assume whatever you like about them.  As it stands they are a Championship club and are yet to play in the Premier League and their own has sunk over £60m into them.  This isn't being done on the cheap, whatever people might think.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Smogzilla said:

EFL have confirmed that this window will be open from July 27th to October 5th.

Transfer Activity/Rumours (as of 07/09)

INCOMINGS:
Grant Hall (Free Agent)

OUTGOINGS:
George Friend (Released; Birmingham)
Dani Ayala (Released)
Adam Clayton (Released; Birmingham)
Rudy Gestede (Released)
Ryan Shotton (Released)
Tomas Mejias (Free; Dinamo Bucharest)

TRIALISTS:
Levi Amanatchi (Free Agent)
Lexus Beeden (Free Agent)

LINKED (ITK):
Jack Clarke (Spurs)
Ben Gibson (Burnley) *MOVED TO NORWICH*
Tyler Blackett (Reading) *MOVED TO FOREST*
Max Kilman (Wolves)
Mike Van der Hoorn (Free Agent) *MOVED TO BIELEFELD*
Jonathan Hogg (Free Agent)
Oliver Burke (WBA)
Chris Gunter (Free Agent)
Marcus Maddison (Free Agent)
Patrick Roberts (Man City)
Lyle Taylor (Free Agent) *MOVED TO FOREST*
Lawrence Shankland (Dundee Utd)
--
Dael Fry (Burnley, Wolves)
Lewis Wing ( Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Villa)
Aynsley Pears (Blackburn)

LINKED (MEDIA):
Abdoulaye Sissoko (Zulte Waregem)
Wesley Said (Toulouse)
Jordan Jones (Rangers)
Loic Mbe Soh (PSG)
Armand Gnanduille (Free Agent) *MOVED TO TURKEY*
Moritz Leitner (Norwich)
Luke Amos (Spurs) *MOVED TO QPR*
Adam Armstrong (Blackburn)
Junior Hoilett (Cardiff)
Kieffer Moore (Wigan) *MOVED TO CARDIFF*
Gwion Edwards (Ipswich)
Jacob Murphy (Newcastle)
Kevin Stewart (Free Agent)
Lyndon Dykes (Livingston) *MOVED TO QPR*
Dan Glazer (Maccabi Tel Aviv)
Korey Smith (Free Agent) *MOVED TO SWANSEA*
Jordan Peruzza (FC Toronto)
Joe Williams (Wigan) *MOVED TO BRISTOL CITY*
Ben Heneghen (Free Agent)
Christian Maghoma (Free Agent) *MOVED TO GILLINGHAM*
Ben Whiteman (Doncaster)
Sol Bamba (Cardiff)
Yaya Sanogo (Free Agent)
Dillon Phillips (Charlton)
Karl Darlow (Newcastle)
Sam Morsy (Wigan)
Jeroen Zoet (PSV)

Nat Phillips (Liverpool)

-
Paddy McNair (Stoke, Celtic)

LINKED (RANDOM DOYLE):
Ross Stewart (Ross County)

I don’t think this makes good reading 🙁

Just now, Changing Times said:

It's still failure.  I want to see Boro playing in the Premier League, I have no interest at all in them making a profit as that means absolutely nothing to me as a fan. You can assume whatever you like about them.  As it stands they are a Championship club and are yet to play in the Premier League and their own has sunk over £60m into them.  This isn't being done on the cheap, whatever people might think.

not caring about making a profit is narrow minded in my opinion and worrying. the worst periods in our history revolve around poor financial mismanagement  including our current situation, id go as far as suggest that just caring about promotion and nothing else has been a view held by many at the club and has been one of our biggest problems.
And yes they've sunk 60 mil in but they've been able to do that due to good sales, they made a profit, last season they sold 45 mil worth of players and spent 38 mil, 7 mil profit. season before that 31 million profit on transfers, season before that 9 million and it goes on like that.  And im sure again you'll say it dosent matter cause there not in prem, but like i said, for me its only a matter of time before they get promoted, they growing year on year as a club and getting closer and closer, they've made enough to build a new stadium and are investing in new and exciting players every season, all while working well within their budget. For me i could never call that a failure.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, tmcc said:

in what sense?  i think most fans would be happy to be run in a way in which we actually sign players, young exciting players at that.

I understand the attraction to Brentford, I really do. From the outsider's perspective (especially a boro fan's perspective, where recruitment has been *** poor for years), they have an attractive record of picking up young, cheap players and said players often grab headlines before moving on to bigger clubs. Watkins is the most recent example of that - signed for just under £2mill, now leaving for around £30 million. Not only do they sign good young players, they were also on the brink of promotion last year and really should have gone up, being denied promotion by shock consecutive losses to Stoke and Barnsley (although, as Brentford's co-director Anerksen stresses, randomness is inherent to football and must be accounted for).

I could make the counter-argument that far from every player there is a success. However, what is more relevant to my comment about patience is that their transfer model which seeks out young talent is intrinsically tied to being a selling club. If you want to have Brentford's model, you have to take all aspects. And that comes with a price. Although they're an extremely profitable club, having made over £120 million on transfers over the past five seasons, this model demands patience. Constantly selling your best players to remain sustainable means there's an emphasis on, in owner Benham's words, "gradually increasing the level of the squad". How does that translate into league performance? Not amazingly: two playoff finishes across five seasons in the championship. Boro fans couldn't hack half a season of Monk lingering just outside the playoffs, never mind having absolute faith in a system that has led to mid-table 60% of the time and has included real sticky patches, such as Thomas Frank losing eight of his first ten matches.

My last point is admittedly a little more speculative but here I go. Brentford's entire strategy is premised on the idea that they're a small club. To quote Anerksen, “If David wants to beat Goliath, you can’t do that by using the same weapons”. I don't know any Brentford fans, but I'd imagine one of the keys reasons they accept the slow progress inherent to their club's policies is that they perceive themselves as a small, scrappy club constantly up against it to achieve. Defining sizes of a club is a tricky (and somewhat futile) business, but I'm willing to wager that in the collective imagination of Middlesbrough fans, we are not a small club relative to the rest of the championship. To many, we are not up against it, needing to find alternate ways to get out of this competitive league. Instead, we're a poorly run club that, if run correctly, could fairly easily go up and be a mid-table premier league club. Brentford's model, at championship level, would need Middlesbrough fans to redefine their perception of the club in order to have the patience required for it to succeed. That's an incredibly ambitious ask.

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t think this makes good reading 🙁

I think it mainly points out that the rumour mill is more than likely 95+% BS. I doubt even 10% of that list have been genuine targets. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I understand the attraction to Brentford's model, I really do. From the outsider's perspective (especially a boro fan's perspective, where recruitment has been *** poor for years), they have an attractive record of picking up young, cheap players and said players often grab headlines before moving on to bigger clubs. Watkins is the most recent example of that - signed for just under £2mill, now leaving for around £30 million. Not only do they sign good young players, they were also on the brink of promotion last year and really should have gone up, being denied promotion by shock consecutive losses to Stoke and Barnsley (although, as Brentford's Anerksen stresses, randomness is inherent to football and must be accounted for).

I could make the counter-argument that far from every player there is a success. However, what is more relevant to my comment about patience is that their transfer model which seeks out young talent is intrinsically tied to being a selling club. If you want to have Brentford's model, you have to take all aspects. And that comes with a price. Although they're an extremely profitable club, having made over £120 million on transfers over the past five seasons, this model demands patience. Constantly selling your best players to remain sustainable means there's an emphasis on, in owner Benham's words, "gradually increasing the level of the squad". How does that translate into league performance? Not amazingly: two playoff finishes across five seasons in the championship. Boro fans couldn't hack half a season of Monk lingering just outside the playoffs, never mind having absolute faith in a system that has led to mid-table 60% of the time and has included real sticky patches, such as Thomas Frank losing eight of his first ten matches.

My last point is admittedly a little more speculative but here I go. Brentford's entire strategy is premised on the idea that they're a small club. Again, to quote their owner, “If David wants to beat Goliath, you can’t do that by using the same weapons”. I don't know any Brentford fans, but I'd imagine one of the keys reasons they accept the slow progress inherent to their club's policies is that they perceive themselves as a small, scrappy club constantly up against it to achieve. Defining sizes of a club is a tricky (and somewhat futile) business, but I'm willing to wager that in the collective imagination of Middlesbrough fans, we are not a small club relative to the rest of the championship. To many, we are not up against it, needing to find alternate ways to get out of this competitive league. Instead, we're a poorly run club that, if run correctly, could fairly easily go up and be a mid-table premier league club. Brentford's model, at championship level, would require Middlesbrough fans to redefine their perception of the club in order to have the patience required for it to succeed. That's an incredibly ambitious ask.

This doesn't make sense to me at all

Every club makes signings that don't work out but Brentford's strategy allows them to do so without worrying too much about the financial implications, the sort of implications that have ensured we're years from promotion

Also how would Boro fans be impatient with slow progress when we're currently 4 seasons into consistent regression?

Brentford and Norwich's approach to recruitment is what every club should aspire to, the thing Brentford have gotten wrong is the manager and even that looks to have been solved now

Every club makes signings that don't work out but Brentford's strategy allows them to do so without worrying too much about the financial implications, the sort of implications that have ensured we're years from promotion

Also how would Boro fans be impatient with slow progress when we're currently 4 seasons into consistent regression?

Brentford and Norwich's approach to recruitment is what every club should aspire to, the thing Brentford get wrong is the manager 

If you were told that boro were to implement a strategy that would require at least 7 seasons before we got promoted, would you embrace it?

Brentford and Norwich's approach to recruitment is what every club should aspire to, the thing Brentford get wrong is the manager 

or not enough team players who are willing to fight a bit harder in case they jeopardise their big move

5 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

If you were told that boro were to implement a strategy that would require at least 7 seasons before we got promoted, would you embrace it?

I don't understand what you mean

The strategy doesn't take 7 seasons, Brentford have been in the championship for 7 seasons 

• Like 1
Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I understand the attraction to Brentford, I really do. From the outsider's perspective (especially a boro fan's perspective, where recruitment has been *** poor for years), they have an attractive record of picking up young, cheap players and said players often grab headlines before moving on to bigger clubs. Watkins is the most recent example of that - signed for just under £2mill, now leaving for around £30 million. Not only do they sign good young players, they were also on the brink of promotion last year and really should have gone up, being denied promotion by shock consecutive losses to Stoke and Barnsley (although, as Brentford's Anerksen stresses, randomness is inherent to football and must be accounted for).

My last point is admittedly a little more speculative but here I go. Brentford's entire strategy is premised on the idea that they're a small club. Again, to quote their owner, “If David wants to beat Goliath, you can’t do that by using the same weapons”. I don't know any Brentford fans, but I'd imagine one of the keys reasons they accept the slow progress inherent to their club's policies is that they perceive themselves as a small, scrappy club constantly up against it to achieve. Defining sizes of a club is a tricky (and somewhat futile) business, but I'm willing to wager that in the collective imagination of Middlesbrough fans, we are not a small club relative to the rest of the championship. To many, we are not up against it, needing to find alternate ways to get out of this competitive league. Instead, we're a poorly run club that, if run correctly, could fairly easily go up and be a mid-table premier league club. Brentford's model, at championship level, would require Middlesbrough fans to redefine their perception of the club in order to have the patience required for it to succeed. That's an incredibly ambitious ask.

comparing us to Brentford is  difficult for the reasons you said, they are a small club averaging 10,000 fans a week and we are established championship club with stints of success in the prem. Just for a club that size to survive in the championship is a huge success, let alone challenge for promotion and im sure the majority of fans are happy with way the club has been run, dont forgot they were in league 2 10 years ago. 
if you take a club the size of middlebrough and applied the same relative levels of success, where would we be?  cause we'd have to assume we have a head start, we already have the fan base, training ground, youth set up, stadium and were already established championship side usually in the top half/ promotion run (baring last season).   I guess my point is that i dont feel we would have to be as patient as suggested cause if we experienced the same relative success as Brentford, we would be promoted a lot sooner. 
A final point on the patience aspect, i feel after the last few years we  Boro fans have grown in patience, even under woodgate many were willing to give him a chance and i got the impression that many would have accepted a lower/ mid-table finish. The key i feel for the fans is actually the seeing the change and understanding what were trying to do, if we can understand the plan and see it coming together, i think the boro fans would give anyone/any system a chance if we could see evidence (not matter how small) that its having a positive effect.  

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)