oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

10 minutes ago, tmcc said:

what happened with Sanogo?  i know it feel through but have the details why come out yet?

"The Boro boss has pulled out of a proposed deal for free agent Yaya Sanogo as he is concerned about the former Arsenal striker’s fitness levels"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

"The Boro boss has pulled out of a proposed deal for free agent Yaya Sanogo as he is concerned about the former Arsenal striker’s fitness levels"

Not as handsome as his profile picture, Gary Gill and Warnock felt catfished

4 hours ago, tmcc said:

i think it depends, it depends where the club is it and what were doing. for example, most fans accepted pulis ball at first as we believed that although its terrible watch, it would be effective and we'd go up. But everyone saw pulis as a means to an end i dont think anybody envisioned or desired that he stayed at the club long term regardless of results.  

Pulis also highlighted another another issue with the no thrills football, at best people accept it, at worst it  it drives fans away in droves and can divide and ruin a club. I think if another manager had achieved a 6th and 7th place finish like Pulis but played 'attractive' football, there wouldnt have been the same reaction from the fans. Sure some would be upset, but there the fans who want nothing but success and sod everything else. That type of fan is near impossible to please. 
Also, i think its easy to say now we would accept style of football if it brought results, but most fans wouldnt and deep down you wouldn't either. I have to use pulis again as an example as at both stoke and wba, he delivered there best ever finishes in the league and brought relative success to both clubs, but fans eventually came to hate the style and eventually wanted rid. he could guarantee them a decent midtable premier league finish every season, but that eventually that wasnt enough they wanted to be entertained also, i feel the same would have happened at boro aslo.  I know a few West brom fans who said he sucked the soul out of the club, and that they would take relegation if it meant that pulis left. On that last point i know plenty of boro fans who said something similar. 

My personal opinion is that its not all about the 3 points, i want to support a team that im proud to say thats my team, as changing times said, that has a style and identity. Ultimately, id take exciting and attractive championship football over a no thrills pulis brand of making up the numbers in the prem anyday. 
EDIT, i dont have any real issue with Warnocks style, its old school but entertaining.

I think we all put too much emphasis on ‘attractive’ football, thinking of Barca etc. I’d rather see ‘exciting’ football. More along the lines of what Klopp has done at Liverpool, I think his style is much more flexible and accessible for a club our size than peps hipster football.

I think when people criticise managers for playing ugly football it’s not that they expect us to play like Man City, it’s that when we come up against smaller teamsters continue to do the hoofs and diagonals and just generally look ragged. We don’t even TRY to play half decent football and often in recent times it looks like we can’t really do anything but hoof it.

I have always said instead of the ‘win at all costs’ generic smaller club mentality I’d like us to actually bring something to the game. I wanted us to not only bring our own academy players through but go to other teams with huge academy’s and scout them and try and be the team who promotes younger British players.

Kind of like what we did last season with the likes of Browne and bola, I know it’s not the best example because of how they’ve turned out so far but that kind of thing. 

I think we’d win a lot of fans around england rather than be a team people switch off if we put together a young dynamic side who just went out to win games in whatever fashion required. Sometimes you have to go long and play ugly that’s how it is at this level.

What I can’t stand watching though is us barely being able to string 3 passes together, seeing fans of Shrewsbury describe us as ‘not that great’, doing that containment thing and letting the other team have the ball and dictate things and hoping for a lucky break/bounce.

Say what you want about Karanka but when we were on it under him it was great to watch. We had bite all over the pitch, we could move the ball forward quick and just overwhelm teams. That’s what I liked to watch and what I want to see. I know it’s a cringeworthy phrase but it’s ‘heavy metal football’ our fans want to see, not the pretty posession stuff and I think that is achievable for any team.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Clayton was an excellent passer of the ball. 

He could play a decent ball over the top if he had space and time. Other wise he was too slow, predictable and just couldn’t function in tight midfield areas. My opinion.

Just now, LinoJo3 said:

I think we all put too much emphasis on ‘attractive’ football, thinking of Barca etc. I’d rather see ‘exciting’ football.

100% agree, but i feel the two linked more often than not.

5 hours ago, Blanco said:

He failed the medical due to being several stones overweight apparently 

face kid GIF

• Like 1

I think Warnock wants to strengthen the core of the team, with a couple of leaders(Hall and Morsy both captains at previous clubs) to control the flow of the game and allow the more creative players(Tav, Spence, Coulson, Wing) to express themselves and be more creative, but also have these expeirienced captains to tell the younger lads when they need to hold formation and when to attack. I also noticed last night the new keeper was very vocal which is good to hear. I think we are 4 players away from looking competitive playing 532 wing back formation.  Another experienced centre back, A  strikers who offers something different and holds up the ball to play britt or fletcher in and a left and right wing back. I think with a more solid core in the team coulson and spence would do well as left and right wing backs. 

4 minutes ago, Ruathain said:

I think Warnock wants to strengthen the core of the team, with a couple of leaders (Hall and Morsy both captains at previous clubs) to control the flow of the game and allow the more creative players (Tav, Spence, Coulson, Wing) to express themselves and be more creative, but also have these experienced captains to tell the younger lads when they need to hold formation and when to attack. I also noticed last night the new keeper was very vocal which is good to hear. I think we are 4 players away from looking competitive playing 532 wing back formation.  Another experienced centre back, A  striker who offers something different and holds up the ball to play Britt or Fletcher in and a left and right wing back. I think with a more solid core in the team Coulson and Spence would do well as left and right wing backs. 

Where is the evidence that he wants to play Coulson, when he keeps picking Johnson ahead of him?

9 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

He could play a decent ball over the top if he had space and time. Other wise he was too slow, predictable and just couldn’t function in tight midfield areas. My opinion.

Not great in possession either

• Like 1

Watching the game last night we just looked slow in midfield. Howson and Saville just couldn't live with the Watford players for pace or strength. Hopefully Morsy can help a bit there.

It's going to be interesting to see what we end up with up front. It's hard to see what we want - power and pace I guess.

Bournemouth next week will be equally hard. Barnsley in the week will definitely be the kids/2nd choices - Pears, Fry, Wood, Coulson, Liddle, Bola, Browne, Walker, Wing, Folarin,???? - made into some sort of team I think.

Fingers crossed for some success in the market.

9 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think under Karanka, which was his best football, both he and Leadbitter were under strict instructions to keep possession at all costs, which invariably meant they often turned back and recycled the play through the centre halves, or a lot of passing across the back line.

Clsyton showed in the PL what a good player he could he, once he got to grips with the pace. 

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I'd expect us to go back in with a bid for Zohore over the weekend. 

Ive been thinking this. Could do with someone like him. As we were putting alot of balls in the box last night

7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Is the lad interested in coming here?

5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

The thing is, who else might there be. I've looked through Premier league squads and nobody stands out for us. I wondered if we might look abroad but I think he wants experience.