oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

13 minutes ago, MikeyBoro said:

Charlie Austin maybe?

My suggestion also

6 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Great shout that. 

10 years after we originally went in for him. League 1 Southampton outbid us for him at the time.

• Haha 2

Austin's on over 50k a week...

Whoever this mystery target is clearly Gibson/Bausor are happy committing financially to him on a contract so he'd have to fit in to a similar wage as Moore/Sanogo of around 20k a week. That's why I have a hard time believing this striker is coming from the Prem they're all on a small fortune up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle_rico said:

3 year deal, on more money than we could offer.

Deffo the three year deal. We offered him 20k a week for a year. Doubt Blackburn are offering him much more than that. He really messed himself around though in January 

5 hours ago, Snowblind said:

Aye, same point I made with LinoJo about the 4-2-3-1. Though I reckon Roberts would be a good floating 10 personally, so I'd still be after him. 

I think he could work as a #10, support striker or in a 343 formation. Or back when Pulis and Traore were here He put shotton behind Traore who was basically just a 3rd CB and rarely passed the halfway line, we could do something similar with Dijksteel. However I guess none of those scenarios would involve Roberts starting games.

Its a tough one as I think Roberts is there for the taking and it’s hard to find players like him who can really unlock a defence by running at them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Austin is a spud. Its gotta be Woodrow for me or someone from Europe 

Austin's career average is better than a goal every 2 games. Even removing his non-league career, it's still something like a goal every 2.2 games. Not bad considering that includes several seasons in the Premier League. Woodrow's is marginally better than 1 in every 4. Woodrow has broken double figures in the Championship in one season, Austin has done it consistently.  

Woodrow obviously has youth on his side, and might be a bit more creative, but Austin is a far better finisher, and how anyone could see him as a spud is beyond me. 

In any case, Austin probably wouldn't fancy it. I'm pretty sure he turned down Newcastle a few years ago because he has a disabled sister down on the south coast who he likes to be as close as possible to.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, edinboro said:

10 years after we originally went in for him. League 1 Southampton outbid us for him at the time.

Actually that was Rickie Lambert wasn't it?

3 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Actually that was Rickie Lambert wasn't it?

Yeah, Southgate felt £500k was too expensive so we pulled out and agreed a loan to buy of about £3.5m for Caleb Folan instead. It’s that level of shrewdness from the club I wish we could see more of today!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

How can Blackburn afford his wages but we can't?

Maybe they are happy paying more than us.  And paying it for three more years.