oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

Think it's more to the point that we're spending £2.8m on a Striker and not a winger or creativity.

But we NEED an extra striker/forward ..

Can we first sign a forward, a defender or a keeper AFTER we have signed wingers? 

Is there a secret formula to the order of signings?

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

The practice of inserting those mammoth clauses is the scandalous

It's not scandalous at all. Very smart business by Arsenal, sell him for a low fee, if he gets picked up and sold for a larger fee they get a chunk in future. 

We have all moaned how the Boro aren't great at negotiating things like this for players we sell. If we started doing this kind of thing more regularly I'd be more than happy.

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 season. During the first half of that season he would only come in as sub but during the January transfer window, PAOK sold their best striker, Prijovic in Arabia. Everyone was panicking since we were on route to our first championship in years. Chuba stepped up and was one of the best players, in the second half of the season. He contributed in PAOK's first championship in 34 years (!) where we were also invincibles. Some of his best games were against Olympiakos in Toumpa were he scored an impressive goal and his performance against AEK in the cup final where he scored an impressive overhead kick to win us the double (he was also the MVP of the final). 

His scoring record might not be the best, even though he had 3 or 4 goals mistakenly rejected as offside, he is a really hard working striker, who runs a lot without the ball. His positioning is good and he can press a lot. Yesterday, we beat and disqualified Benfica (which is considered a big deal considering the teams economical difference) and Akpom was one of the best players. PAOK's pressing started from him and he ran a lot. I mean A LOT. He kept the ball well against world class defenders like Vertoghen and he had an unofficial assist in Benfica's own goal. 

Now for the price, I think 2.8 mil is absolutely fine, considering you take a very experienced player for his age (promotion with hull, appearances with arsenal under Wenger, Double and Europa League with PAOK, Belgium playoffs with Sint-Truidense). To be honest I am quite surprised that he chose a Championship club to continue his career. IMO he is a Premier League striker. I don't know if he is a starter but he can definitely fight for a place. His will to go back in England I think played a huge role in his decision. Last year he was linked with West Ham and this summer he was linked with Besiktas (a Europa League team, that PAOK also beat this year in the champions league qualifiers, in a game where Akpom had an assist and a good overall performance but a missed pen 😭

Now for the negatives, his heading ability isn't that strong even though he is tall and sometimes he lacks confidence or concentration. He is although technically ok and he is hard to take the ball from. 

I am actually emotional about his departure because his name will stay in PAOK's history after his contribution in our historical double. I dont know, I might be biased but I think I described him objectively.

P.S. 

Sorry for my English and the loooong message but I am an EFL fan (I support Bristol Rovers even though I am from Greece) so I thought I could inform you about him. Again, sorry for the long read but I hope that you have a successful season! I would be happy to answer to any of your questions.

10 minutes ago, jimbob38 said:

No but 14 goals in two season in Greece doesn't fill me with hope either

To put those 2 seasons into context though he played about 2785 minutes similar to Britt and less than Fletcher last season couple those 14 goals with 6 assists too and it doesn't look awful for what is essentially a seasons work. Not that I'm trying to inject a little bit of hope into you 🤠

It's not like we were going out and getting a 20 goal striker to sit on the bench for us anyway.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, jimbob38 said:

what makes you hope that? We have had some of best strikers in this league goal scoring wise (for other teams) then do everything in our power to play them in the opposite way to what they've been affective their whole career. Whats more likely is that Fletcher or Ass will be dropped and we'll carry on punting up field to a guy that has a 1in 6 Sh*thouse 

The fact im trying to look at things positively rather than writing people off before theyve kicked a ball. Also going on the fact that warnock has the most promotions to PL as a manager so im trusting his judgement on what he needs, no its not pretty football and i dont like the formation hes playing at the moment but hes making the best of what hes got in his eyes, weather that is to force gibson to buy by highlighting it only he knows. 

• Like 1

Positives are he will be better than gestede by default.

He ‘looks’ better than fletcher on the ball, more purposeful and more strength. Fletcher seems good at popping up with important goals though.

My worry is our wide options are STILL shocking, I have hope with spence but if he doesn’t do it there’s literally nobody else, in no way is Dijksteel a rwb. Don’t get me started on Johnson, never has and never will have a good season here.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

But we NEED an extra striker/forward ..

Can we first sign a forward, a defender or a keeper AFTER we have signed wingers? 

Is there a secret formula to the order of signings?

I understand that but given the fact that season after season we need to sign wingers or creativity and when we do we sign one person who has to do things all by himself. The way we go about recruitment and signing players is baffling.

Just now, RiversideRed said:

I understand that but given the fact that season after season we need to sign wingers or creativity and when we do we sign one person who has to do things all by himself. The way we go about recruitment and signing players is baffling.

And I understand that frustration, but that still doesn't make it a bad thing, that we have signed a forward.

May I just ask who if anyone has access to any of the bank accounts belonging to either MFC, the Gibson O'Neill Company or Mr Gibson's personal accounts. If not then I would venture to suggest that none of us know what the club has to spend, nor unless we have complete access to Mr Warnock's head do we know exactly what his plans are. This forum was put together to gender some excitement during the transfer window speculating who we would like and ocassionally getting some tantalising tit bits from those who are ITK. I agree that some of our dealings over the years have been poor but Mr Warnock has only been here for a few months and said right at the start that he needed to strengthen the spine of the team. Bettinelli, Hall, Morsy, and now apparently Akpoma do just that and I await with bated breath any more incomings. Please try not to beat up our new signings until we've seen them more than a couple of times. 

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

And I understand that frustration, but that still doesn't make it a bad thing, that we have signed a forward.

Didn't say it was, aslong as we bring in two players who can create for the strikers too. But no doubt we will bring in one and he will have to do it all by himself yet again. It is also likely that we will spend that amount of money on a striker and much less on the players we need to create for the strikers.