oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Watch Leeds pressing where they virtually go man for man with every player on the pitch. 

I was jealous watching them play on Saturday and to think some of our fans were laughing when we got Monk and they replaced him with Bielsa. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Akpom would be a brilliant signing at this level I think. I see him more as a number 10 rather than striker so I'm not particularly looking at his goalscoring record.

My 2nd team is Arsenal so I've watched him a lot over the years especially at Youth level and he's pacey, direct and can take people on which is something we have been crying out for. I'd say he's a different option to Tavernier, but going to a 2 in the middle of Akpom behind the 2 strikers.

You and your brother with bloody Arsenal 🤦‍♂️

I did wonder if he could play somewhere other than straight up front, like one of three split wide or behind a striker maybe.  I remember him a bit from a few years back, at Hull I think, but I haven't seen him for a while now and wouldn't have a clue what type of player he's developed into.

7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Akpom would be a brilliant signing at this level I think. I see him more as a number 10 rather than striker so I'm not particularly looking at his goalscoring record.

My 2nd team is Arsenal so I've watched him a lot over the years especially at Youth level and he's pacey, direct and can take people on which is something we have been crying out for. I'd say he's a different option to Tavernier, but going to a 2 in the middle of Akpom behind the 2 strikers.

Arsenal are also my 2nd team. Good choice.  

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Even woodgate gave up on his own ideas of a new brand of football almost immediately. It's been a depressing state of affairs for years now.

Watching how Barnsley played last night I was genuinely jealous at times.

Even Shrewsbury looked better than us in that respect.

I doubt Warnock will change it regardless of who we sign but I am hopeful that we'll at least become more effective at it with a few additions.  Then I just have to hope that he leaves after this season and we actually give something new a real go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Watch Leeds pressing where they virtually go man for man with every player on the pitch. 

I was jealous watching them play on Saturday and to think some of our fans were laughing when we got Monk and they replaced him with Bielsa. 

Leeds had two managers in between Monk and Bielsa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Who are your first team?

Haha. Most days Middlesbrough but about 5pm most Saturdays I do have a major meltdown and make a final declaration to not waste another minute on them for rest of my life. I then usually backtrack on that statement by about 8pm.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You and your brother with bloody Arsenal 🤦‍♂️

I did wonder if he could play somewhere other than straight up front, like one of three split wide or behind a striker maybe.  I remember him a bit from a few years back, at Hull I think, but I haven't seen him for a while now and wouldn't have a clue what type of player he's developed into.

Arsenal were the complete team in the 90's and I loved their JVC home shirts. 

He played his youth football as Left midfielder and then progressed further up the pitch. Him and Alex Iwobi were very similar in their play throughout youth football.

Are you happy with the signing? 

21 minutes ago, PsychFur said:

Leeds had two managers in between Monk and Bielsa.

Fair enough but he was still a great appointment regardless of our fans laughing at it.

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Fair enough but he was still a great appointment regardless of our fans laughing at it.

I think even worse was the club and Gazette and loads of fans desperate to get rid of Orta then he goes to Leeds as DoF and the rest is history! I think a lot of people were impressed with Leeds getting Biesla, people laughed at Orta moving there as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I think even worse was the club and Gazette and loads of fans desperate to get rid of Orta then he goes to Leeds as DoF and the rest is history! I think a lot of people were impressed with Leeds getting Biesla, people laughed at Orta moving there as well. 

I dont know how good Orta is but I'd imagine he's streets ahead of our people who identify our players. 

I think the reputation of Orta was soured for a lot of our fans by the Gazette's assanation of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Even Shrewsbury looked better than us in that respect.

I doubt Warnock will change it regardless of who we sign but I am hopeful that we'll at least become more effective at it with a few additions.  Then I just have to hope that he leaves after this season and we actually give something new a real go.

We just don't play with enough intensity. All the passes are soft and barely get there, no one is running into space to receive a ball, as we just slowly pass it around to peoplea feet.

Over the last few games, the amount of times I've seen the opposition pass the ball around into what was an empty space with one touch- as they knew one of their team mates would make the run to link things together. 

So far, unless one of our players can read the numbers on your driving licence, you can forget about a pass

Edited by Mr_Maz
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Arsenal are also my 2nd team. Good choice.  

Arsenal used to be my second team until I discovered Danish football and got entranced by the wonderful Randers FC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I dont know how good Orta is but I'd imagine he's streets ahead of our people who identify our players. 

I think the reputation of Orta was soured for a lot of our fans by the Gazette's assanation of him. 

I think it became hard to separate the 'long term targets' we signed that summer such as Fischer that were sold as Gary Gill signings and the Victor Orta signings we tried and failed for like Mandi/Rupp/Meunier etc.

Our single biggest failure that summer was trying to run 2 track recruitment one side you had club targets like Guzan and Fischer on the other you had the Orta/Karanka signings like Negredo+Valdes it was so muddled and patchwork must have been a nightmare for Karanka to deal with players he didn't really want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I think it became hard to separate the 'long term targets' we signed that summer such as Fischer that were sold as Gary Gill signings and the Victor Orta signings we tried and failed for like Mandi/Rupp/Meunier etc.

Our single biggest failure that summer was trying to run 2 track recruitment one side you had club targets like Guzan and Fischer on the other you had the Orta/Karanka signings like Negredo+Valdes was so muddled and patchwork must have been a nightmare for Karanka to deal with players he didn't really want.

I’m sure he wanted Guzan, I mean who wouldn’t want Guzan?

• Haha 1