oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

31 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Middlesbrough, QPR and Preston are among the clubs expressing an interest in signing Rangers winger Jordan Jones. (via Sky Sports)

I'll take him at this point 😄 

Hope not, too much baggage to be remotely interested in wasting more time with him. There are enough problems in the area without bringing another one back and thats before you consider his mediocre and sporadic footballing ability. We have had Rangers Players down here previously and they were nowhere remotely near the standard required, there is a reason Gerrard isn't overly fussed about him.

1 hour ago, EugeneDaGreek said:

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 season. During the first half of that season he would only come in as sub but during the January transfer window, PAOK sold their best striker, Prijovic in Arabia. Everyone was panicking since we were on route to our first championship in years. Chuba stepped up and was one of the best players, in the second half of the season. He contributed in PAOK's first championship in 34 years (!) where we were also invincibles. Some of his best games were against Olympiakos in Toumpa were he scored an impressive goal and his performance against AEK in the cup final where he scored an impressive overhead kick to win us the double (he was also the MVP of the final). 

His scoring record might not be the best but he is a really hard working striker, who runs a lot without the ball. His positioning is good and he can press a lot. In Tuesday, we beat and disqualified Benfica (which is considered a big deal considering the teams economical difference) and Akpom was one of the best players. PAOK's pressing started from him and he ran a lot. I mean A LOT.  He also kept the ball well against world class defenders like Vertoghen and he had an unofficial assist in Benfica's own goal. 

Now for the price, I think 2.8 is fine because you are getting a player with important experience for his age (promotion with hull, first team appearances with arsenal under Wenger, double and Europa league with PAOK, playoffs in Belgium side Sint-Truidense). Keep in mind that Arsenal kept a 40% future sales when he signed for us  (I do not know the right english term sorry... but I think you get it) which means that you will be paying around 1 mill to Arsenal. To be honest I am surprised that he chose a Championship team to continue his career, but his will to play near his family played a big part in his decision. Last year he was linked with West Ham and this summer with Besiktas (a Europa league team that PAOK also beat two weeks ago in a game where Akpom had an assist and a great overall performance, but a missed pen 😭). IMO he can be considered Premier League level. I dont know if he is a starter there but he can surely fight for a position. 

Now for the negatives. His heading ability is not that strong despite him being relatively tall. He sometimes lacks concentration and confidence. Also, I don't know how effective he will be in a team that plays long balls (as I read somd of you say). He is although energetic and he is not an old type boring striker who waits in the penalty area. He also played as a winger in some games in Belgium and as a second striker at PAOK in a 3-4-2-1 formation (but not that many times). 

Overall I am emotional about his departure because his name was written in PAOK's history and he played a huge part in our first double and championship in so many years. I dont know I might be biased but I tried to describe him as objectively as I could.

P.S. 

Sorry for the loooong message but I thought I could inform you. Even though I live in Greece I am interested in the EFL and  I support Bristol Rovers so I said why not... 

P.S.2

I just read the news about Warnock. I hope he stays healthy and good 🙏

@Humpty r u referring to this? 😂 couldn't resist

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ph. said:

@Humpty r u referring to this? 😂 couldn't resist

image.thumb.png.d73ba215709f2ee378886f81796ccc21.pngHe doesn't like walls or posts

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

image.thumb.png.d73ba215709f2ee378886f81796ccc21.pngHe doesn't like walls or posts

Especially when the post's a wall of text

36 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Great post, @EugeneDaGreek

Personally I think it's a very decent signing.

I bet you do.  You probably had his poster on your bedroom wall a few years back.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:
52 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Great post, @EugeneDaGreek

Personally I think it's a very decent signing.

I bet you do.  You probably had his poster on your bedroom wall a few years back.

Premier League Football GIF by BT Sport

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I wouldk personally buy a Chuba Akpom bed cover and light shade

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

image.thumb.png.7f763625b30f39eda7cc5560ad6ca2fa.png

6 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

no news then gents 😞

Most of the NE is under tighter Covid measures. That's the most important and significant news of the day. 

Edited by Snowblind

3 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

no news then gents 😞

I'm expecting an announcement today still tbh.

2 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

Akpom? Any others close Brunners?

Who knows really, I think NW has done a really good job on clamping down on leaks, hence why all the ITK guys go quiet for so long, there's just nothing coming out. Obviously good in reality but sucks for this thread! haha