oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

16 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Thanks mate, honestly not having a dig at you but for me stats can be misleading (sorry CT). You are coming up against different type of players so it can restrict how you play which inevitably will affect stats for example Johnson came up against Brooks at the weekend so he was always going to be more disciplined in his play.

I really don't rate Johnson for the record, but he gets a lot of hate on here which annoys me when I see him as the better of the 2 wing backs since lockdown. Ideally I'd love to drop the fu***g wingback formation and go to a flat back 4 but that would mean a whole new full backs and attackers.

Anyways I will stop here because I am coming off thread!

Who's next through the door? I'm just clinging onto hope that somehow we can persuade man City in freeing Roberts up on loan again. He's the difference for me.

Mate, Brooks did sod all down the right and it was very little to do with Johnson. He wasn't even more disciplined, he got forward and had plenty more opportunities to cross than Spence did. And it either didn't beat the first man or it was blazed beyond the players or over the bar on one or two occasions too.

There was a free kick we took quickly whilst a Bournemouth player complained about the foul, Johnson was entirely free, had a good 10-15 yards to take his time and pick the players out. He put it behind the goal, he didn't even get it into the box. It was abysmal. When it comes to Spence, there's clearly work to do. But to think Johnson is providing any danger to opposition teams right now is baffling to me. He's made one decent cross so far this season, against Shrewsbury for Fletcher.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Mate, Brooks did sod all down the right and it was very little to do with Johnson. He wasn't even more disciplined, he got forward and had plenty more opportunities to cross than Spence did. And it either didn't beat the first man or it was blazed beyond the players or over the bar on one or two occasions too.

There was a free kick we took quickly whilst a Bournemouth player complained about the foul, Johnson was entirely free, had a good 10-15 yards to take his time and pick the players out. He put it behind the goal, he didn't even get it into the box. It was abysmal. When it comes to Spence, there's clearly work to do. But to think Johnson is providing any danger to opposition teams right now is baffling to me. He's made one decent cross so far this season, against Shrewsbury for Fletcher.

I cannot understand why Johnson is preferred to Coulson with play like that going on.

54 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Just wait until until a couple of defeats and people will talk about trying square pegs in round holes with Dijksteel as CB.

Dijksteel has had 2 decent performances at CB as has Mcnair so to say they are better CB's than Fry is completely laughable and a joke. I agree Fry isnt a left sided CB and he would probably agree. (but again here comes the criticism of our homegrown players - absolute joke).

Wait until McNair and Dijksteel come up against a striker like Denney, Keifer Moore and you will see exactly why they are not CB's.

McNair is our best CM imo and wasted as CB, that showed again at the weekend. 

Difference of opinions but Johnson is creating a lot more chances and is a lot better defensively than Spence imo.

If dijksteel and McNair play as well as they have in these two games in defeats I will maintain my opinion.

My criticism of fry has absolutely nothing to do with him being home grown and everything to do with the fact that he has been downright bad for a while, although I still believe him to have tons of potential and he is still very young.

As for the johnson stuff, I don't even know where to begin, so I won't. 

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Sorry but I see the opposite posts to you, I often see people bumming about his performance because he's done one fancy flick/nutmeg on someone 😅.

And fans also are quick to criticise the likes of Britt, Saville, Clayton 😅. Honestly some of the fans on here have rose tinted glasses. Just because he's young and raw doesn't make him exempt from criticism.

I just don't see what he offers right now and would much rather have Fry CB and Dijksteel as RWB .

Not clever enough to be a winger and defence position play extremely poor in a back 4. (Reminds me so much of Justin Hoyte especially in his younger arsenal days).

I agree he's raw but if he isn't offering anything and hasn't been for a while so I'd rather just be solid and put fry in there.

Out of the wing backs we look more dangerous with Johnson on the left which just shows how poor our current situation is.

Spence is slated continuously on here since the season began.  I've seen nothing good said about him in that time. 

Johnson wallops more crosses in - but the only things he's dangerous to is anyone in Row Z or our own defence. 

Djiksteel might be a decent shout - once we have 3 CBs up to speed. 

1 minute ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Birmingham have signed San Jose, how've they done that then 

The entire place? How are they gonna field that many people?!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

he clealry doesn't know the way 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I'll give you a clue. It starts with 'Ai' and ends in 'ka'

• Sad 2

Wait what am I reading?

We're forced to this wing back formation because we are embarrassingly short in wingers and attacking midfielders and now instead of fixing that, people are advocating for us to sign better wing backs?! 

There are far more Boro fans than post on this forum, and Spence has been massively overhyped since he broke through.

He's not done much in a while to justify it, but he's a young player with a bit of pace and I'm more confident in him improving than Johnson.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 2