Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

I'll give you a clue. It starts with 'Ai' and ends in 'ka'

Aikarumba?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame we didn't bring Karanka back like he seems to be building something at Birmingham.  I would of liked San Jose in our midfield top player.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

There are far more Boro fans than post on this forum, and Spence has been massively overhyped since he broke through.

He's not done much in a while to justify it, but he's a young player with a bit of pace and I'm more confident in him improving than Johnson.

Spence absolutely played out of his skin against Tottenham. Has been hyped ever since just need him to get consistency to his game as he kinda like Traore was will sprint all the way down the pitch then mess up the cross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

maybe we can finally get Nathan Dyer?

just what we need an aging injury prone player that could replace the aging injury prone players we've just got rid of....not to mention that he has an assist rate of one every eight games, calls Juninho Lofty and one of his forenames is Jonah (never a good omen)... but then Swansea don't want to keep him on, so there couldn't possibly be a reason for that.... mind you it would make a good alteration to thread title....Boro in Dyer Straits ūüôā

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old Codger said:

just what we need an aging injury prone player that could replace the aging injury prone players we've just got rid of....not to mention that he has an assist rate of one every eight games, calls Juninho Lofty and one of his forenames is Jonah (never a good omen)... but then Swansea don't want to keep him on, so there couldn't possibly be a reason for that.... mind you it would make a good alteration to thread title....Boro in Dyer Straits ūüôā

sounds like a perfect Boro project for RWB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Spence absolutely played out of his skin against Tottenham. Has been hyped ever since just need him to get consistency to his game as he kinda like Traore was will sprint all the way down the pitch then mess up the cross

That was 8 months ago in a 1 off cup match against a big team.

There have been 26 games since then, and he's not been directly involved in a single goal scored since Boxing Day.

As maligned as Johnson is, he's scored once and assisted 3 in that time, both Spence and Johnson have played in the majority of those games too.

Spence played a fair number of them as an attacking player, rather than a wing back, too.

Neither are up to scratch right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In an ideal world neither Spence or Johnson would be in the first eleven, but we're not in an ideal world and nobody is buying our players to give us that extra freedom in the market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Shame we didn't bring Karanka back like he seems to be building something at Birmingham.  I would of liked San Jose in our midfield top player.

He could sign Myra Hindleys ashes and some Boro fans would still think he's building something special, San Jose is the only half decent signing he's made

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

He could sign Myra Hindleys ashes and some Boro fans would still think he's building something special, San Jose is the only half decent signing he's made

Moor or less.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Wait what am I reading?

We're forced to this wing back formation because we are embarrassingly short in wingers and attacking midfielders and now instead of fixing that, people are advocating for us to sign better wing backs?! 

We may be "forced" to play this formation but why not accept it. It's ok saying we need wingers and attacking midfielders but to play Warnock's favoured 433, at the back (with full backs who'd push on) we would need a specialist left footed CB. Who would you play LB out of Bola, Coulson and Johnson, as none of them can really defend well. So theres a left back. You'd need 3 or more wingers to cover injuries and suspensions. You'd then have Britt, Fletch or Chuba playing up front alone, which doesn't really suit any of them. So you'd probably need another striker.

Admittedly some of these players could be coming from the academy, or some of our players could excel in a different role, but worst case you are looking at 6 signings on top of the 4 we have already made.

Surely its better to take the formation that suits our players better, and improve 2 or 3 positions within it to make the squad stronger.

People talk about 352 like it's dreadful, but it is one of my favourite formations when done correctly. Unfortunately, we seem intent on banging the ball into the channels, which is an absolute waste.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

In an ideal world neither Spence or Johnson would be in the first eleven, but we're not in an ideal world and nobody is buying our players to give us that extra freedom in the market.

I guess it depends what the ideal world is. If it's just to have the best possible players at any one time, sure. But that costs money so adjusted for our situation, it would absolutely be ideal for us to find a quality young player in our U23 ranks ready to make the step up and build him up to be better. We aren't going to buy anyone significantly better than him.

The frustration with Johnson is a lot of us think we have better than him already in our ranks and he's not getting a chance under this manager. With Spence, his only other challenger is also in the side. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wilsoncgp I believe that Spence isn't ready yet and Dijksteel is currently better, I don't think Johnson is ever going to be a LB/LWB and again Coulson isn't ready yet. If we had the money I think a new LB and another starting CB would allow both Spence and Coulson to develop at more controlled rate, rather than in a baptism of fire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

@wilsoncgp I believe that Spence isn't ready yet and Dijksteel is currently better, I don't think Johnson is ever going to be a LB/LWB and again Coulson isn't ready yet. If we had the money I think a new LB and another starting CB would allow both Spence and Coulson to develop at more controlled rate, rather than in a baptism of fire.

Other clubs put young players in and let them adjust and become ready, I don't see an issue with us doing that. It's not something we do enough by my reckoning and far too often buy into the ideal that players need to be ready straightaway, whether that is youngsters or signings

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Barcelona first team players have a agreed to a paycut of ¬£110 Million (per year). This is on top of the squad agreeing to defer ¬£45 Million in bonuses. There was talk at the beginning of this month that if they couldn't cut around ¬£150 Million off the wage bill for this season, that the threat of bankruptcy was very real.
    • As others have said, I would guess that the team that finished the derby game will likely start this fixture, with those who were subbed being introduced late on. The 5 subs rule allows us to comfortably rotate an entire attacking setup. Very useful if you have a good enough manager to utilise it.
    • If you dont mind a short drive get yourself booked into Art La Vey up towards Newcastle. That guy is head and shoulders above most in Boro. Mark at Nothingsacred in Stockton is class if you're wanting some dotwork done
    • H Birmingham City v Millwall H Blackburn Rovers v Barnsley H Cardiff City v Luton Town D Derby County v Wycombe Wanderers A Huddersfield Town v Middlesbrough H Norwich City v Coventry¬†City A Rotherham United v AFC Bournemouth D Sheffield Wednesday v Stoke¬†City H Watford v Preston North End ¬† SUNDAY 29TH NOVEMBER A Nottingham Forest v Swansea City
    • Knowing the quality of the Daily Fail, they probably have Fulham as the Premiership club wanting him. It boils down to the lad's views on his future, his contract ends there ends in the summer, so everything in his hands, If he does not fancy move, then "agreement on terms could not be reached. If he wants away, not a lot we can do to stop him but there are not that many top rem teams looking for keepers, so it should be fairly easy to work out likely suspects, assuming not jut agent talk trying to get us to make decent offer in future¬†
×
×
  • Create New...