oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

There are far more Boro fans than post on this forum, and Spence has been massively overhyped since he broke through.

He's not done much in a while to justify it, but he's a young player with a bit of pace and I'm more confident in him improving than Johnson.

I’m a fan of Spence. He’s raw as stated but you can see the potential. He’s also only going to improve the defensive side of his game under Warnock, unlike that clown Woodgate who also dropped him for some reason. A bit of patience would be nice but not something Boro fans have in abundance.

In games where you need to be more defensive you’d maybe take him out for Dijksteel but he’s one of only a couple of players who will carry the ball for us and is quick and in a team that’s already bereft of creativity you need that.

We got him on a free, he’s young, he’s English and he’s the type of player we should be going for to hopefully improve and sell on for a decent fee. In an ideal world he’d be back up to someone more senior whilst getting some minutes but here we are. 

Edited by Tarmo
  • Like 1

Think Spence's problem is he's getting the Traore treatment for us 

The one where he's the only player in the entire squad who can run at defenders with the ball otherwise we have to try comatose their team with our sideways non-threatening passing from Howson to Saville to Howson to Saville and then back to the CBs so every single one of our dier attacks must go through him, then he has to get back and defend as well

Must be burnt out a bit trying to carry every attack for a team at 19/20 years old 

• Like 3

Yeah I’d agree with that. Obviously opposing teams will know what he’s about now too. Coulson on the other side showed he can be a threat last season but looks like he’s got serious work to do to get in over Marvin. We were in for a left back though so maybe can’t rule one out yet 🤞🏻

I am going to have a different attitude this season. I am going to support and get behind the squad that NW puts out on the pitch each and every game until that  player(s) shows that they should not be anywhere near the ground let alone the team.

We all saw a good improvement on Saturday last and there is still plenty of games to go for further improvement.

Heck I even believe that LW might kick a ball straight eventually😃

• Like 1

@SzilardNemethsCurtains they normally succeed when coming into a successful side, we can't be classed as that, rather than ruin the player with the sink or swim theory I'd prefer a gradual introduction as they are not ready to swim.

We need wingers and creative players. Wing backs are ok with what we have.

2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

So what is everyone’s opinion on our two wingbacks?

Are they good enough or do we need to look at other options?

stop it neil patrick harris GIF

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheJew said:

We need wingers and creative players. Wing backs are ok with what we have.

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

• Like 1

The 352 should have a solid core and let the wingbacks just bomb on - which I think Coulson and Spence are made for. Woody wasnt the grestest mastermind but early doors we seemed to be pushing Coulson and Spence on and allowing them to press high up the wing and give them freedom to play. Thats what we should be giving them now. You cant have defense-first wing backs or it turns to a 532 with no width whatsoever. Both of those lads are probably used to having a winger in front of them and playing overlaps/waiting for the passes back so they can cross from deep or recycle infield. Our main problem IMO is set piece fragility, finding a balanced midfield 3, and creativity in the final 3rd. We are intent on playing 352 so lets unleash the WBs to start making inroads on the creativity in the final 3rd.

Oh...transfers....errrr....buy a LCB

25 minutes ago, Brunners said:

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

23 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I'd prefer Coulson to Johnson, but as Johnson was given the #3 shirt and Coulson hasn't had a sniff, I can't see him getting a game on the left anytime soon.

I'm happy to persevere with Spence, hopefully he can push on.  

I'm more concerned about having the right defenders in the back three when it comes to defensive duties.  The wing-backs should be mainly concerned with providing an attacking outlet.

Johnson and Spence aren't good enough to play the system. Spence should be nowhere near the first team, was thrown in way too soon and too raw out of desperation because Woodgate's plan boiled down to throw darts at the board until it went well.

3-5-2 RELIES on the wing-backs. They are VITAL. The single most important position in the system. They provide the width, which ours don't, and hence why we never break teams down. How often do our players get to the by-line and pull the ball back into a dangerous area? Statistically, most goals are scored inside the 6 yard box. How often do we get the ball there in a match?

It's not rocket science. It has been the same for years. At the moment, we are a hit-and-hope side, and it is 90% because we have no effective wing play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I'd go McNair and Coulson as the WBs personally. Bring in a left sided CB and play them alongside Dijksteel and Hall/Fry.

Bit of potential transfer news - just been told we have enquired about Greg Cunningham. Nothing more than that but a few other clubs are in for him too.