oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

How many seasons has he played as a central defender?

Bielsa has played 2 defensively minded midfielders alongside a dominant central defender in a back three.  Some believe that the back three needs to contain two highly mobile defenders either side of a dominant in the air, yet capable of bringing the ball out type of defender... which highlights to me that it doesn't matter about formations most of the time, we just need good players.

Which kind of goes back to what Robson used to say about Liverpool, but that was decades ago, so does it still apply, do good players win matches/leagues, or good managers/systems?

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Lots of ifs, buts and maybe's in there for me unfortunately. 

The evidence shows us we've been pretty disastrous playing a back four with the personnel we have. We're still rebuilding and wing backs have produced good performances so far. I don't see any issue with persevering with this formation. It clearly suits the squad we have at our disposal. 

I agree that wingbacks with what we have at our disposal IS our best hope, however all that will get us is midtable/survival at best. I see where CT is coming from in that it’s a pretty lame excuse not to try and better the team, it CANT be that hard to get a better LB than bola and a failed winger.

I still feel we could do well but we are heavily reliant on Tav, Browne and Howson to provide assists and goals from midfield. Akpom I think will improve things as he will be better at linking midfield to attack than fletcher and also allow Britt to sit higher up. 

That said I think there will be a lot of games where we struggle to create anything. Essentially we have less width in the team than even pulis had.

I thought this was a transfer rumour and completed transfers thread.

By stating it's been a quiet day as far as rumours are concerned seems a fair enough thing to say. 

Having lost so many we certainly need more than 4 new signings. 

Anyway I look forward to see what happens during the next 3 weeks leading up to the 16th October when the PL/EFL window closes. 

51 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

I thought this was a transfer rumour and completed transfers thread.

By stating it's been a quiet day as far as rumours are concerned seems a fair enough thing to say. 

Having lost so many we certainly need more than 4 new signings. 

Anyway I look forward to see what happens during the next 3 weeks leading up to the 16th October when the PL/EFL window closes. 

I agree, but I think we'll manage to get the rest in now, even if it's 3 more loan signings.

The 3 permanents has eased my worries significantly.

Lack of rumours does not mean progress. In fairness when you look at all of our signings the majority of them were done or close to completion before we knew about them. This tells me things have changed at club with leadership and things are kept secret.

The gaffer and blackwell have said they are still looking for a few more yet. So patience is key.

• Like 3

We all know we just need to sign a pacy creative winger who can feed our strikers and create chances so we can score alot more goals.  As to be honest we are a half decent side now who if you put that Ramirez  type player in we would have a chance at promotion. 

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I think it's because people don't want to listen to a part-timer, glory supporter, mate.  I still read your posts anyway though, just to be nice 👍

Thanks for your kind words mate 😍

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, xathras said:

Doesn't help we are on 824 pages and only 4 signings. You'd think we'd bought half the league based upon number of posts

Are you telling me that there are more players out there other than Marcus Maddison, Jordan Jones, Patrick Roberts and any other former Boro player?!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Do hope his training ground nickname is Willy Kok or I'll have lost all respect for our lads.
    • Scene 1: Int (Night) [It’s 3am in a kitchen lit by the glow of the moon. Neil Warnock walks in yawning, wearing Paddington Bear pyjamas and fluffy slippers. He opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of milk. When he shuts the door, a ghostly white apparition has appeared behind it] WARNOCK [dropping the milk]: Jesus Christ! APPARITION: Not quite. [The ghostly white features move closer] No use crying over it, though, eh? WARNOCK: G…Garry? APPARITION: Yes. It is me. Garry. WARNOCK [looking around wildly]: How the hell did you get into my kitchen? MONK: I go wherever I want, and nobody ever seems to stop me. I find it quite peculiar. Middlesbrough…Birmingham…Sheffield Wednesday…Sky…I have the ability to slither in without invitation and then hang around until the scales fall off people’s eyes and they see me for what I really am. WARNOCK [composing himself]: So why are you in my house, Friar Took-all-the-money? MONK: I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed watching the Rotherham game on Wednesday. WARNOCK: I bloody didn’t. I had to fill the bench with kids. They had an average age of 11. MONK: No, I didn’t enjoy watching Middlesbrough. I enjoyed watching Rotherham. I get a certain pleasure from watching teams getting relegated. I mean, I get a lot of pleasure. It gives me a semi-final feeling. WARNOCK: Well, you certainly gave relegation a good go with my lot. MONK: I did my best, but my plan didn’t work at Middlesbrough. I was hoping to bankrupt them, but Mr Gibson found a Post-It note with my calculations of how many strikers I needed to buy to guarantee liquidation. He made me leave before I could finish the job. I did hope Tony Bent would finish what I started, but he spent all the money on defenders so they ended up drawing every game 0-0. Even the village idiot couldn’t find his way to League One. And then you came along with your mid-table mediocrity. [Hisses] You hero. WARNOCK: Hero? We’re tenth. And we’re bloody broke, thanks to you. I only found Watmore cos he was working in the local Sainsbury's garage when I went to fill up the Montego. His signing-on fee was a Big Mac meal cos he hadn’t eaten for three days. MONK: You’re still not going to be relegated, though. Such a disappointment. But my greatest project is Sheffield Wednesday. I've really put them through it, haven't I? Oh, that's managers for you; they always know which buttons to press. WARNOCK: The self-destruct one in your case. I still can’t believe what a shambles you made of that transfer kitty. I’m having to let Fletcher and Assombalonga leave for free cos we can’t afford to pay them any more. We've even prised all the 50p pieces out of the electricity meter, and it's still not enough. MONK [runs his tongue over his teeth]: I did my best. In the end, I couldn’t get Boro relegated, but I sowed the seeds of the club's decline. They'd be established in the Premier League if I hadn't buggered up the finances so much. Which means you'd be a Premier League manager, instead of a Championship one again. It was all me, Neil. It’s always been me. The author of all your pain. Scene 2: Int (Night) [The Warnock marital bed. Mrs W is wearing a Bri-Nylon nightie and an eye mask, sitting up as her husband rolls around screaming] MRS W [shaking Warnock awake]: Neil? Neil? Wake up! WARNOCK [trembling]: Oh God, that was awful. MRS W: The James Bond dream again? WARNOCK: Yes. But this time, the baddy was a snake. MRS W [calmly]: Oh, it was Monk this time, was it? You really need to stop eating Stilton before bed. You know it gives you nightmares. WARNOCK [rubbing eyes]: I'll give you nightmares. Have you seen my injury list? [Ends]   Match details: It’s a 3pm kick-off on Saturday, at ‘fortress’ Riverside.   Form guide: We’re mired in mid-table mediocrity, but Wednesday may be about to follow Boro’s example of being relegated due to a points deduction. At least their descent will be less high-profile than their near neighbours United, who are about to follow Boro’s example of being relegated with less than 30 points.   View from the other side: No MDT from the familiar-looking Owlstalk forum yet, but there is a thread called “Colin loves us really”, which is worth a read.   Questions for the audience: 1.       Who makes your starting XI? 2.       Given Connor Malley’s man-of-the-match debut, which other youngsters would you like to see in the squad/team? 3.       If you could only choose one, would you prefer to see Wednesday or Derby go down?
    • Nah, you're thinking of that Reg Dwight fella. Mind you, when you're born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, Elton Hercules John is a big improvement. 😮  
    • "FENTON, FENTON...FENTON JOHN, WHEN YA GONNA BRING HIM ON?"  
    • Same here. In fact from now on when I do score 0, I'll just pretend I forgot to predict.