oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Depending on who you include, Sancho or Sterling would be up there I imagine.  Statistically speaking, they are light years ahead of Traore.  The lad at Leicester had a better season than him last year I think, Harvey Barnes.  I assume people don't think he's the best winger in the world though.  I think Traore might crack the top 20 as it stands but that's about it.  Needs to kick on again if he wants to be discussed in those sort of terms.  I hope he makes the right move when Wolves cash in on him.

Barnes was a fair bit less productive than him from memory, although Adama did have Europa games.

1 minute ago, Will said:

Barnes was a fair bit less productive than him from memory, although Adama did have Europa games.

In terms of goals and assists combined Barnes (14) contributed more (by the smallest of margins) in the PL than Traore (13). Barnes started 3 less games too.

Just now, Will said:

Just talking about the Premier League, mate.  8 goals and 6 assists for Barnes, 4 goals and 9 assists for Traore if I remember rightly.  I thought that was a decent comparison as the clubs are a bit closer together than Wolves and Man City for example.  If he wants to be in the company of Sterling, Sancho, Mane and those types then he needs to be doing a lot more than that.  Double figures for both goals and assists I'd say as a minimum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brunners said:

🙄 Spence hasn't played enough football to know if he's good enough really. He's clearly got something about him, but I'm not going to sit here and say he's played particularly well, he hasn't. I just personally don't think we should be writing him off yet. He needs competition though, at the minute he basically knows he's in the team and that will be probably having an effect too I would imagine. 

As for Dijksteel & McNair. Again, Dijksteel hasn't played near enough for me to judge how he'll do against the "better" strikers but I love the qualities he possesses in the role so want to try him out & McNair has played as a CB plenty of times throughout his career - in fact I believe one of the reasons he moved away from Man U was because they thought he was a CB and he thought he was a CM, was it not? At the very least, he played CB 18 times for Man U in the PL. 

See there we go, that's just how we see the game differently. I thought he was the best player on the pitch in both games. 

And sorry with the didn't shine bit; that is miscommunication on my part, what I meant by that was he didn't really shine playing RB here but I know he was considered raw back at Charlton. I don't remember if he had shone playing RB at Charlton, honestly and I don't have the energy to go look it up.

Guilty on the Spence/Dijksteel mishap though; I just saw a number 2 and assumed, which of course is wrong of me.

Is there a fishing emoji? 😂😂

There is not much fun in having to catch up on previous posts!😝

• Like 1

Dijksteel was classed as a midfielder at Charlton who due to an injury crisis was played by Bowyer at RB in the same way we played Howson there. When we signed him Charlton fans were amused that we signed him as a RB at the time.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/team/player/59492bc197226/profile

That's not to say he can't like McNair and Howson be capable in playing in a few different roles. So far this season he has looked a better prospect but it is still very early days and where he ends up positionally I would surmise is in a state of flux, probably determined by who NW has available to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Dijksteel was classed as a midfielder at Charlton who due to an injury crisis was played by Bowyer at RB in the same way we played Howson there. When we signed him Charlton fans were amused that we signed him as a RB at the time.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/team/player/59492bc197226/profile

That's not to say he can't like McNair and Howson be capable in playing in a few different roles. So far this season he has looked a better prospect but it is still very early days and where he ends up positionally I would surmise is in a state of flux, probably determined by who NW has available to him.

Djiksteel has done well so far this season, I’d actually be interested to see how he plays at DM. 

He certainly has the athleticism to do well there, providing he’s comfortable with playing the role 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Just talking about the Premier League, mate.  8 goals and 6 assists for Barnes, 4 goals and 9 assists for Traore if I remember rightly.  I thought that was a decent comparison as the clubs are a bit closer together than Wolves and Man City for example.  If he wants to be in the company of Sterling, Sancho, Mane and those types then he needs to be doing a lot more than that.  Double figures for both goals and assists I'd say as a minimum.

Oh god here he goes again 

Screenshot_20200923-091127_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Oh god here he goes again 

Screenshot_20200923-091127_Gallery.jpg

STATTO.. STATTO..

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

To be fair you have no idea if they will be found out, they are both young enough and have the attributes to make a few positions their own.

This idea that players need to be finished articles before they can play for us is rubbish, we are a mid level championship side at best. We are picking off scraps and trying to improve players

Plus its not exactly unheard of for players to adapt to playing in different positions.

I'm no fan of having players out of their natural  / preferred positions...but god knows we seem to have made a habit of it for long enough under various managers.

Maybe in Warnock and his coaching staff we finally have a backroom team who can make it work? If he can't get the players he wants, he can only try to mould the ones he has to play the system he wants to use...

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

He was talking about Downing anyway. 

Whoa...hold on there! I thought Adam Johnson won that accolade years ago?