oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I had to laugh on Saturday while I was watching him on Soccer Saturday.  He was covering the Derby v Blackburn game and was talking about Mowbray and the job he was doing there.  I can't remember the quote word for word, but after praising him he said something about playing the right players in the right positions 🙂

without a hint of irony at all, he probably thinks he left the club in a better position than he found it too. The only positive I can say about him is that our league positions were pretty credible under him but they got worse as his tenure went on, he decimated the squad, lowered the morale of players and fans and generally sucked the soul out of the club

• Like 3
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

without a hint of irony at all, he probably thinks he left the club in a better position than he found it too. The only positive I can say about him is that our league positions were pretty credible under him but they got worse as his tenure went on, he decimated the squad, lowered the morale of players and fans and generally sucked the soul out of the club

His agent is on Twitter and jumps on the defensive every time Pulis' Boro tenure comes up. He always trots out the line about the league positions as though the players were the Renford Rejects rather than a multi-million pound squad that had a wealth of Championship and Premier League experience. I have no doubt that Pulis and his representatives think he succeeded here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Tom said:

His agent is on Twitter and jumps on the defensive every time Pulis' Boro tenure comes up. He always trots out the line about the league positions as though the players were the Renford Rejects rather than a multi-million pound squad that had a wealth of Championship and Premier League experience. I have no doubt that Pulis and his representatives think he succeeded here. 

Not sure many others do though. He’s been out of work since, no PL teams fighting relegation have bothered with him and I don’t think a promotion chasing Championship team will consider him either now. 

When it comes to the off the pitch stuff I have zero doubt I could have done a better job than pulis if he actually did have a hand in it.

If we needed to raise money then selling our 3 best players was hardly rocket science was it. The way I’d have bettered what Pulis did would have been to not pay half the money back out on the likes of flint and saville.

Its not even hindsight, half of us at the time applauded flints goal record but also asked the question could he actually defend? The answer was no.

Saville was clearly a 2nd ball in the box merchant who clearly wasn’t going to be as effective in our team.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You think Brighton were left decimated by Hughton?

No...but Brighton fans did...they were sure they would be relegated if he stayed on and were droning on about the team being filled with giants and playing boring defensive football...it is easy to blame people for their mistakes after they are gone because the vast majority of managers lose their jobs when the players they buy just don't work as a team in the situation they end up in...it is rarely one person's fault and even the most successful managers find their teams don't work after a while .we all want success and preferably with an attractive team to watch, but you can probably count the Boro managers that left a significantly improved team after they moved on, on the fingers of one hand.....what is done is done....ain't no point in winding yourself up with what ifs

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

He succeeded in making himself a lot of money here.  KERCHING! 🤑 

25 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

No...but Brighton fans did...they were sure they would be relegated if he stayed on and were droning on about the team being filled with giants and playing boring defensive football...it is easy to blame people for their mistakes after they are gone because the vast majority of managers lose their jobs when the players they buy just don't work as a team in the situation they end up in...it is rarely one person's fault and even the most successful managers find their teams don't work after a while .we all want success and preferably with an attractive team to watch, but you can probably count the Boro managers that left a significantly improved team after they moved on, on the fingers of one hand.....what is done is done....ain't no point in winding yourself up with what ifs

The two are worlds apart. Hughton isn't an adventurous manager by any means but he was still playing creative players like gross, knockaert, march izquierdo and jahanbakhsh every game. Pulis played traore and that was it. When traore was left he literally played without a creative player while hughton played every game with at least 2 of the above, normally 3.

Its the same response when people say karanka was defensive like pulis. Different planets. Yes ak wanted solidity first and foremost but he still always played 3 creative attackers (though this reduced to 2 in the prem) behind the striker along with 2 attacking wing backs.

• Like 1

I agree with the point about the creative players at Brighton...but they were creative in the Championship and totally anonymous in the Premiership....what works at one level doesn't work at another...and as we know all it takes is a run of injuries and you are in bother...every manager has his supporters and his detractors and I am sure that as soon as Klopp and Guardiola hit a bad run, knives will appear in their backs .I suppose that the only way to find out how good a manager really is, is to see how he deals with adversity and whether they can alter their gameplans to deal with that....there seems to a lack of people who are able to set teams up in a variety of ways, they either try not to lose or if they are lucky enough to have teams with 11 internationals , score more than their opponents....

9 hours ago, Tom said:

I can't believe people are trying to justify us selling Bamford. It was a ridiculous decision at the time, and appears even more so now. 

I'm genuinely struggling to work out a single decision that Pulis made in his time at the club that has benefited the club in the long term. The signing of McNair is probably the only one that might qualify.

I can name quite a few but the glaringly obvious one is playing and developing Traore. Step out of that mist of hatred and bias, open your eyes and give a balanced opinion.

5 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

I can name quite a few but the glaringly obvious one is playing and developing Traore. Step out of that mist of hatred and bias, open your eyes and give a balanced opinion.

"Mist of hatred and bias"

smoke mr. herbert garrison GIF by South Park

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:

I certainly don't hate him, quite the opposite as a bloke I actually think he comes across really well and you can't fault his ability to build a team that's hard to beat.

It's a simple fact that he left the club in a mess though

1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:
11 hours ago, Tom said:

I can't believe people are trying to justify us selling Bamford. It was a ridiculous decision at the time, and appears even more so now. 

I'm genuinely struggling to work out a single decision that Pulis made in his time at the club that has benefited the club in the long term. The signing of McNair is probably the only one that might qualify.

How has him developing Traore benefited us in the long term?