oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

38 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Um, I think there might be some double counting here? Taking Ake for example, he cost £20m, so current value in accounts, after a couple of seasons writing it down,  maybe £10m. Accepting a £40m bid from Man City gives a profit of £30m, wiping out the loss noted above, AND also reduces the debt by £40m. ( albeit the money won’t all come in at once  

if they can sell another couple of players for £20m each, this would wipe out their debt and turn the loss into a profit. They would also have saved a lot of wages to reduce their costs to help against the reduced income.

obviously they then have the problem of replacing the sold players without spending money. I’m not trying to disagree that they will struggle - I think you are right there, just saying the whole issue of trying to work out what financial figures in football really mean is almost impossible.

Bournemouth will more than likely get £20 mill plus for Wilson, Howe got him for £3mill absolute bargain, and they paid £11.5 mill for Brook's who looks a quality young player, so I think they'll make a profit on him if they sell, and also both will be on big salaries as will Ake. 

Bournemouth may have been relegated this season, but Eddie Howe's done an outstanding job considering the position they where in when he took over. I'd have him here in a heartbeat and still only young for a manager.  

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

The biggest problem for Bournemouth is that without the PL boosting their profile, they're not a very desirable proposition for a player to join. S**t ground, no fans, at the far end of the country, crap training facilities, and not even a traditional 'big name' or 'fallen giant' like other Championship clubs.

Plus, central Bournemouth is a tip. Pretty sure I saw someone involved in people trafficking last year while I was in a pub hiding from the muggers and tramps outside. Anyway, that's not going to concern the club's players, who can afford to live somewhere nicer. Like Portsmouth.

4 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

The biggest problem for Bournemouth is that without the PL boosting their profile, they're not a very desirable proposition for a player to join. S**t ground, no fans, at the far end of the country, crap training facilities, and not even a traditional 'big name' or 'fallen giant' like other Championship clubs.

Plus, central Bournemouth is a tip. Pretty sure I saw someone involved in people trafficking last year while I was in a pub hiding from the muggers and tramps outside. Anyway, that's not going to concern the club's players, who can afford to live somewhere nicer. Like Portsmouth.

As someone who has lived in Portsmouth....it's pretty generous to call it "nicer". It has its fair share of absolute shithole areas too. There were a couple places I genuinely would not enter they were so rough.

If we're looking at players from relegated sides I'd love us to pick up Leonardo Lopes from Hull. The type of midfielder we've been crying out for for years and still only very young. We know the Hull owner is a *** and will sell anyone at the first sniff of money so I think it's fairly realistic too.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I could be missing a joke here but you've spelt Brondby three different ways inside just four lines, which I feel could be some sort of record.

Good spot, you've passed the test!

Just to clarify I attempting to spell Brondby.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I really do hope that we're being really good at hiding our true targets because that's another underwhelming one! *disclaimer not writing him off, just stating facts* windass has failed to establish himself in two lower mid table championship sides this season and has a poor goal contribution record in this division. He's 26 too so should be at his peak.

could that be a sign we are just signing a back up to britt and fletch. makes perfect sense in that case. bring him on now and then, he'll hassle and chase. but not be first choice. concentrate the real effort on signing players not have ie CB, LB, WINGER, CDM

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

Um, I think there might be some double counting here? Taking Ake for example, he cost £20m, so current value in accounts, after a couple of seasons writing it down,  maybe £10m. Accepting a £40m bid from Man City gives a profit of £30m, wiping out the loss noted above, AND also reduces the debt by £40m. ( albeit the money won’t all come in at once  

if they can sell another couple of players for £20m each, this would wipe out their debt and turn the loss into a profit. They would also have saved a lot of wages to reduce their costs to help against the reduced income.

obviously they then have the problem of replacing the sold players without spending money. I’m not trying to disagree that they will struggle - I think you are right there, just saying the whole issue of trying to work out what financial figures in football really mean is almost impossible.

In terms of the sales of players regarding amortisation, I think there is naturally some over lap. Like you say selling Ake for £40 Million is potentially £30 Million above his "Net Book Value" in Bournemouth's accounts. So on one hand the cost of amortisation will drop and the profit on his sale will increase.
In terms of their transfer debt to other clubs that will still remain the same, unless of course they pay the other clubs. So they will still have that to consider. I think for 18/19 that figure stood at something like £82 Million, obviously that is last years figure, but they were very active in the 2019 summer transfer window, so it isn't unfathomable that, that figure remains the same if not higher.

11 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

could that be a sign we are just signing a back up to britt and fletch. makes perfect sense in that case. bring him on now and then, he'll hassle and chase. but not be first choice. concentrate the real effort on signing players not have ie CB, LB, WINGER, CDM

We shouldn't just be signing back up players because they play the position we need. They need to actually be able to impact a game or at least have the potential to impact a game. See also marvin Johnson.

9 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

In terms of the sales of players regarding amortisation, I think there is naturally some over lap. Like you say selling Ake for £40 Million is potentially £30 Million above his "Net Book Value" in Bournemouth's accounts. So on one hand the cost of amortisation will drop and the profit on his sale will increase.
In terms of their transfer debt to other clubs that will still remain the same, unless of course they pay the other clubs. So they will still have that to consider. I think for 18/19 that figure stood at something like £82 Million, obviously that is last years figure, but they were very active in the 2019 summer transfer window, so it isn't unfathomable that, that figure remains the same if not higher.

At some time though they do have to pay the other clubs. The £40m for Ake will give them the means to do so. Any “loss” is a profit and loss account figure and any debt is a balance sheet figure. Make a profit on selling a player and it reduces the Profit and Loss account loss and at the same time improves your balance sheet - either by reducing your liabilities / debts owed by you or by increasing your assets / debts owed to you. So to add the two figures of debts and losses together double counts them.

2 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

But it invalidates your whole point, we had a semi decent defensive record with Ayala, Shotton and Moukoudi. Our goal difference was minus 3 post lockdown and we conceded 3 goals on 3 occasions.

In reality we now have 1 established CB. At LB, we have one aging LB who can no longer player there so does a job at CB, a young LB who Warnock is unsure can play LB so doesn't play and a left midfielder who's been playing LB but is out of contract. At RB we have one fairly inexperienced player who has been injured most of the season and a 19 year old who isn't the greatest defensively.

Defence is definitely our priority and rightly so, you need to be hard to beat before you can beat anyone. 

And two of those players do not currently have contracts and we do not know for certain that they will be offered new contracts on terms which are acceptable to them.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

At some time though they do have to pay the other clubs. The £40m for Ake will give them the means to do so. Any “loss” is a profit and loss account figure and any debt is a balance sheet figure. Make a profit on selling a player and it reduces the Profit and Loss account loss and at the same time improves your balance sheet - either by reducing your liabilities / debts owed by you or by increasing your assets / debts owed to you. So to add the two figures of debts and losses together double counts them.

Yeah spotted that now!

For some reason I was merging the accounts on the statements of comprehensive income and statement of financial positions in my head together as one entity. Like you say the amortisation and profit in player sales directly affects the comprehensive income statement, more specifically the profit and loss figure.  And the creditors is a balance sheet account much like the cash in the bank (that they have received from selling Ake).

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)