oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Well if we can't beat out two league 1 clubs for him I'll be very sad.

based on some news on the hull and posh side

hull - the player is talking to 2 clubs

posh - they did not reach an agreement with Exeter

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well from YouTube he doesn't look a wingback to me and more a poor man's Patrick Roberts. But of course I have been wrong before.

During those play-off games, Exeter lined up with a back 5, with Williams as a right wing-back. During the games though Williams was a much more advanced wing-back compared to his counter part on the left and at times he was operating almost as a right winger. So much so that the right side centre half would drift into a traditional right back position, when Exeter were attacking.

This season Exeter appear to be lining up with a back 4 rather than 5. And they seem to be playing Williams as a right winger. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

based on some news on the hull and posh side

hull - the player is talking to 2 clubs

posh - they did not reach an agreement with Exeter

Well, lets hope this is some legit information and he picks us.

Wait... so we're playing a left winger at left wing back and looking to sign a right winger and we want him to play right wing back? Yet we don't have the players to play a system with wingers/it would take too many signings to play that way? Now I'm really confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Wait... so we're playing a left winger at left wing back and looking to sign a right winger and we want him to play right wing back? Yet we don't have the players to play a system with wingers/it would take too many signings to play that way? Now I'm really confused.

we;re going to follow the trend and play 3-4-3 

• Like 1

According to TransferMarkt, he’s a left footed right winger.

Don’t know much about him though, but got to give him a chance and could be a shrewd signing.

We are still interested in Roberts but will only be on a loan. 

8 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

According to TransferMarkt, he’s a left footed right winger.

Don’t know much about him though, but got to give him a chance and could be a shrewd signing.

We are still interested in Roberts but will only be on a loan. 

Fingers crossed on Roberts.

A CB, 4th striker and Roberts and i will be buzzing.

I will even take a CB and Roberts and use latter as a no.10 in a 3.5.1.1 at times.

Just now, TLF10 said:

Fingers crossed on Roberts.

A CB, 4th striker and Roberts and i will be buzzing.

I will even take a CB and Roberts and use latter as a no.10 in a 3.5.1.1 at times.

Why?

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Why?

Why Roberts over a 4th striker? Because i feel Roberts would offer more than a 4th striker would who i anticipate will be somewhat of an unknown.

Plus Roberts offers us a plan B which we don't have.

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Why Roberts over a 4th striker? Because i feel Roberts would offer more than a 4th striker would who i anticipate will be somewhat of an unknown.

Plus Roberts offers us a plan B which we don't have.

No, why would you be buzzing with a 4th striker, a CB and Roberts?  Why would you take a CB and Roberts?  How do they improve the current side?  

Just now, Changing Times said:

No, why would you be buzzing with a 4th striker, a CB and Roberts?  Why would you take a CB and Roberts?  How do they improve the current side?  

Well i explained what Roberts would bring. I think he could be our Tomlin or Gaston when we are struggling to break teams down with that bit of magic.

As far as CB is concerned i think its very clear we are short there given we are playing 3 at back. Currently that 3 consists of a RB by trade and currently our most threatening midfielder in Paddy. An additional CB would help improve back line and the midfield as it would hopefully push Paddy there

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Well i explained what Roberts would bring. I think he could be our Tomlin or Gaston when we are struggling to break teams down with that bit of magic.

As far as CB is concerned i think its very clear we are short there given we are playing 3 at back. Currently that 3 consists of a RB by trade and currently our most threatening midfielder in Paddy. An additional CB would help improve back line and the midfield as it would hopefully push Paddy there

I see, so McNair moves into midfield and replaces maybe Saville.  The new central defender comes in and replaces McNair and Roberts comes in and plays instead of one of the strikers, let's say for argument sake that it's Assombalonga.  You think this team is worth buzzing about?:

Bettinelli

Spence - Dijksteel - Hall - New CB - Johnson

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I don't see anything worth buzzing about tbh.  That's not meant as a dig, but I don't see what 4th strikers or extra central defenders do for this team.  If you also bring in Roberts and he plays instead of a striker then you're simply removing opportunities for the striker or strikers you sign.  Does Akpom play if you sign Roberts and stick with this formation?  I'm guessing not, so what's the point exactly?

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I see, so McNair moves into midfield and replaces maybe Saville.  The new central defender comes in and replaces McNair and Roberts comes in and plays instead of one of the strikers, let's say for argument sake that it's Assombalonga.  You think this team is worth buzzing about?:

Bettinelli

Spence - Dijksteel - Hall - New CB - Johnson

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I don't see anything worth buzzing about tbh.  That's not meant as a dig, but I don't see what 4th strikers or extra central defenders do for this team.  If you also bring in Roberts and he plays instead of a striker then you're simply removing opportunities for the striker or strikers you sign.  Does Akpom play if you sign Roberts and stick with this formation?  I'm guessing not, so what's the point exactly?

I was not actually advocating Roberts starts every game. I feel in some games he would be better come off the bench and in some games starting. But having Roberts would certainly improve us as we currently are. As would a proper CB to go alongside Fry and Hall.

We definitely need another CB I think, especially with Hall hurt now. 

I quite like the look of this winger, honestly. blah blah league 2, but 5g 14a is pretty outstanding so I'd be interested to see if he could step up - providing the cost is right, of course. Can't see us forking out much.