oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I'd quite like us to look at getting Roberts back, simply because he's the only player we've had since Adama who excited me when he got the ball. Particularly in those first few games before he got the injury, and I'm hoping that the drop off in his performances post-lockdown can be put down to that same injury.

It doesn't necessarily have to be him, but we seem a lot more likely to sign him than we do any other player in a similar mould, and he does have something about him that no-one else in our functional, cautious team really does. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I see, so McNair moves into midfield and replaces maybe Saville.  The new central defender comes in and replaces McNair and Roberts comes in and plays instead of one of the strikers, let's say for argument sake that it's Assombalonga.  You think this team is worth buzzing about?:

Bettinelli

Spence - Dijksteel - Hall - New CB - Johnson

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I don't see anything worth buzzing about tbh.  That's not meant as a dig, but I don't see what 4th strikers or extra central defenders do for this team.  If you also bring in Roberts and he plays instead of a striker then you're simply removing opportunities for the striker or strikers you sign.  Does Akpom play if you sign Roberts and stick with this formation?  I'm guessing not, so what's the point exactly?

I mean, we do have to acknowledge that this team and squad is quite far away from being something we'd be buzzing about, mate. 😄

Me, I like the idea of bringing in Roberts and a new CB on loan. I think Roberts offers us something different to what we have, which in midfield areas I think we are in need of and I just think we need someone to cover CB as we've lost a few of those options this summer, for a team that wants to play with 3 at the back especially. Who that CB would be is anyone's guess to be fair, could be a young lad looking for some game time, could be a more experienced head who wants a bigger role than a bit-part one in the top flight, whether they come into the team at the expense of anyone else is really dependent on who it is.

One of the big problems I see with our squad right now is that there's not a lot on offer to change the way we play, especially in attacking areas and especially during matches when we need to give the opposition something different to think about. Even looking at the Akpom signing so far, I'm glad the lad got a goal but I've not seen much different in terms of what he offers against Britt or Fletcher, so if we're playing 2 of those 3, presumably Britt starts every game as he's captain, and you swap Fletch for Akpom or the other way around, what's actually changing? Whereas if you take off one of them for Roberts, for better or worse the plan certainly changes. And maybe, if this elusive 4th striker also joins up he might offer something different to the 3 we've got, I certainly hope so.

Now whether Warnock makes that change to change the game plan is another thing entirely. He's not exactly jumping at the chance to make changes when something isn't working. The Watford game still sticks in the mind as you watch the wing-backs falter whilst two of them sit on the bench but I guess you could consider that maybe he wanted to make tactical changes as opposed to like-for-likes.

Yeah I think these days we have to take “buzzing” slightly different to how we would have in the past. More like “not massively depressing”. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

Yeah I think these days we have to take “buzzing” slightly different to how we would have in the past. More like “not massively depressing”. 

It's all relative really, if you are hoping to be buzzing from the make up of out team/squad based on excitement then you'll be waiting a long time but if we could find balance and not have to play with a back 5 I'd be fairly happy. 

Personally I don't think we will getting anyone in, we struggled even before the prospect of no fans all season

Haha. Yeah buzzing was maybe wrong word to use but i meant it in terms of our current predicament as opposed to be buzzing like I was during our recent glory days.

4 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

Yep - gotta take the positives where we can find them.

I don't think I've explained myself well enough.  What I'm asking is, how does another central defender and Roberts improve the team as it currently is?  Does it improve our weaknesses in terms of replacing the current players?  Not really, no.  Does it allow us to change the way that we play to improve our weaknesses?  Again, not really, no.

Bettinelli

Spence - Dijksteel - Hall - New CB - Johnson

Morsy - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom/Assombalonga

Is that team really better than the one we put out on Saturday?  I don't think it is, so what would there be to get excited about with these additions?  If you're saying that signing Roberts would lead to a complete change in how we play then I'm not really seeing it?  

15 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Roberts would make the 433 more likely I think.

But is 433 better than 352?  Do we have the players for 433?  Johnson is ineffective at LWB and terrible at LB.

Where would Roberts play in 433?  Would that mean we only played one of our strikers rather than two, and how is that better?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tobermory said:

But is 433 better than 352?  Do we have the players for 433?  Johnson is ineffective at LWB and terrible at LB.

Where would Roberts play in 433?  Would that mean we only played one of our strikers rather than two, and how is that better?

The argument then is that will we be less effective with a 433 with a non left back than a 352 with a non left wing back, an ineffectual midfield in that shape and a right wing back who is horribly out of form (and let's face it, his period of form only really lasted a few weeks to begin with and was under a different manager)?

People talk about this 352 like the players we have can play it perfectly or even well- I dont think they can, at least not to the point where we have no choice but to play it. 

22 minutes ago, Tobermory said:

I can't answer any of those questions honestly mate. I just think that Warnock probably still wants to play the 433, even if publicly he's committed to the 352.

24 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Time for 4231 Karanka style

If only, it's my favourite formation.

I suppose we could do it if we used the AM role as a second striker rather than a traditional #10 and play Akpom or Fletcher there.  We'd still need 2 wingers in though.

McNair / Saville ------ Morsy / Howson

??? / Tav   -------  Akpom / Fletcher -------- ??? / Browne

Britt / ????

Can't see it though unfortunately

Bettinelli

Djiksteel

Hall

Fry

Coulson

McNair

Morsy

Roberts

Tav

Akpom

Britt

Wing, Browne, Fletcher, Johnson can all operate in the 3 behind the 1.

Saville and Howson can play centre mid.

Obviously we need to sign Roberts.

• Like 1