Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Neverbefore said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

I suspect we've probably done a lot of our spending under the assumption we would have had fans back in from this weekend. If we're operating under the assumption that we are going to start receiving some matchday income again, and suddenly it's yoinked away from you, it changes everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunners said:

I suspect we've probably done a lot of our spending under the assumption we would have had fans back in from this weekend. If we're operating under the assumption that we are going to start receiving some matchday income again, and suddenly it's yoinked away from you, it changes everything.

But that assumption was never a guarantee. And gibson knew that. So again it comes down to whether you believe gibson would gamble the future of the club for a 3mil signing. I absolutely do not believe that and I dont believe we would have been operating under those assumptions at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

But that assumption was never a guarantee. And gibson knew that. So again it comes down to whether you believe gibson would gamble the future of the club for a 3mil signing. I absolutely do not believe that and I dont believe we would have been operating under those assumptions at all.

The plan was to have fans back in from this weekend and while it wasn't a guarantee, it looked pretty confident that it would go ahead until almost the very last minute, they scrap it the week before fans are meant to be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

But that assumption was never a guarantee. And gibson knew that. So again it comes down to whether you believe gibson would gamble the future of the club for a 3mil signing. I absolutely do not believe that and I dont believe we would have been operating under those assumptions at all.

Could it be a good time to invest in players has clubs might be more willing to sell at lower fees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ABH said:

Could it be a good time to invest in players has clubs might be more willing to sell at lower fees

Not if we don't have any money to buy them anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

The plan was to have fans back in from this weekend and while it wasn't a guarantee, it looked pretty confident that it would go ahead until almost the very last minute, they scrap it the week before fans are meant to be back.

Mate if you thought it looked pretty confident you've not been paying attention! For the best part of two months things have been declining, areas are having local lockdowns enforced, various different restrictions and rules are coming and going. If anyone is operating under any assumptions that the government isn't going to change their mind about 90% of their own policies on a daily basis then they deseeve everything they get. Gibson will not have been so naive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Mate if you thought it looked pretty confident you've not been paying attention! For the best part of two months things have been declining, areas are having local lockdowns enforced, various different restrictions and rules are coming and going. If anyone is operating under any assumptions that the government isn't going to change their mind about 90% of their own policies on a daily basis then they deseeve everything they get. Gibson will not have been so naive.

They were literally just trialling fans in stadiums 2 weeks ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

that was before the government decided to stop the trials and commit to having no fans coming back to be fair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

They were literally just trialling fans in stadiums 2 weeks ago. 

Whats your point here? It was a trial, the clues in the word! There was never a guarantee and anyone operating their business under those presumptions is doing so in an extremely irresponsible way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Whats your point here? It was a trial, the clues in the word! There was never a guarantee and anyone operating their business under those presumptions is doing so in an extremely irresponsible way.

The plan ALL summer was to have fans back in as early as 3rd October. That has been the message literally ALL summer, up to the point that they were running trial runs in preparation for it. If you can't see that it might have had an effect on transfer business, you're being wilfully ignorant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...