oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The plan ALL summer was to have fans back in as early as 3rd October. That has been the message literally ALL summer, up to the point that they were running trial runs in preparation for it. If you can't see that it might have had an effect on transfer business, you're being wilfully ignorant.

We weren't planning on locking down in March either but we did, we were planning to play Swansea what... the day before we had it called off? We're in a high-risk, low-notice period of handling a global epidemic and this time round, everyone knows what can happen. They had 3 months of it where it was dropped on them at zero notice, to operate under the expectation it wouldn't happen again is just plain daft. Every measure this country has taken since to open us up has been with hope, not expectation.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Again, I guess we'll see. I'm fairly confident in what I know, so while I hope I'm wrong; I'm not very optimistic that I am. I will happily eat crow come the end of the season if we're still financially secure.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

To be honest I was thinking it was a sign the club are getting local media to drip feed the lack of money as to explain a lack of incomings, I still think we are going to be fine as Gibson will continue to bank roll us but its a handy backdrop to explain away not getting further signings

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

Not to muddy the waters of this debate further, but wasn't it the general consensus that the £3m figure was nowhere near accurate, and included  add-ons anyway?

1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

To be honest I was thinking it was a sign the club are getting local media to drip feed the lack of money as to explain a lack of incomings, I still think we are going to be fine as Gibson will continue to bank roll us but its a handy backdrop to explain away not getting further signings

I dont disagree with that, I reckon that 3mil will be the entirety of the transfer fees we will spend - low cost frees or loans without fees going forward 

• Like 1
Just now, Neverbefore said:

I dont disagree with that, I reckon that 3mil will be the entirety of the transfer fees we will spend - low cost frees or loans without fees going forward 

Agreed and whilst there was probably low expectations of having an fans in, Gibson may have saw the chance of some ticket income as a bonus which could be put aside for a loan or two

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

The plan ALL summer was to have fans back in as early as 3rd October. That has been the message literally ALL summer, up to the point that they were running trial runs in preparation for it. If you can't see that it might have had an effect on transfer business, you're being wilfully ignorant.

If we've done our summer business assuming that we'd have 10k fans a week for the rest of the season from October then Gibson and anyone else involved in that decision making should be having their mental capacity tested. That would be one of the most reckless actions I've ever seen from our football club and as NB4 says, I simply can't see a smart businessman like Gibson doing that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Again, I guess we'll see. I'm fairly confident in what I know, so while I hope I'm wrong; I'm not very optimistic that I am. I will happily eat crow come the end of the season if we're still financially secure.

What do you actually know though? It's not a dig if it sounds like that. Not a lot of people know much about the clubs finances in the first place and it's just a matter of days ago where you said you expect half the championship to go bust iirc. I just think that you are buying too much into the doom and gloom and I stand by my statement that I don't think we will see even 12 clubs across the Championship, L1 and L2 combined go bust. I very much doubt that our entire survival hope was based on spectators gradually being allowed back in from october and no new restrictions being imposed. If that was the breaking point then there is  no way we would have spent money on players this summer and we would have been selling players instead.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

If we've done our summer business assuming that we'd have 10k fans a week for the rest of the season from October then Gibson and anyone else involved in that decision making should be having their mental capacity tested. That would be one of the most reckless actions I've ever seen from our football club and as NB4 says, I simply can't see a smart businessman like Gibson doing that.

To be fair, did he say he expected 10k fans a week? all he is saying is there was an expectation that they would at least try to get fans in to stadiums in some capacity from October, even if its a few limited capacity games until restrictions were tightened again (especially with it being deemed as a fairly low risk in terms of spreading the virus if done correctly).

The difference now is that it is completely off the table and clubs now have all the income theyre gonna get for the season, even for the best ran clubs that will have had some kind of effect on their plans

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Even if this was business plan - all those 10k fans would be season ticket holders just about, wouldn’t they. Allowing for a lot of family tickets etc, the average income can’t be more than £360 per ticket, probably less. That’s £300 without VAT, or £3m over season. Say £3.5m including hospitality, catering etc sales.  According to Northern Echo figures we stand to lose £24M this year. This means it would have been £20m+ loss even if fans were allowed back. There’s something strange about those figures.