oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, mendieta420 said:

He may not be a natural RWB but he played well: hardworking, tenacious, linked with Dijksteel well.

In a game where we conceded 1 shot it's hard to say anyone played poorly defensively and he also played a part in both goals.

I rather he started RWB than Spence atm.

Well, that's not much of a surprise is it to be fair?  

He didn't make a tackle during the game, he put a couple of crosses in that didn't reach a Boro player, and he had the worst passing accuracy out of every outfield player other than Akpom.  The only difference between what Spence has done so far and how Tavernier played on Saturday, is that Tav takes freekicks, Spence doesn't, and Spence isn't going to be taking too many shots from 20/25 yards in front of the penalty area.  Their actual performances as RWB's was no different at all.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yes, one from taking a freekick and one from a shot centrally just outside the area.  I don't think either of those had anything to with him playing RWB. Think back to the game and point out all of the positive things he brought to it as a RWB.  There aren't any, he hardly did anything at all there, because he's quite clearly not a RWB.

I don't remember Tav doing pretty much anything in full-back areas. He barely even had to come back and help cover, did it maybe once or twice. The positional stats show that too, the heatmaps show he spent most his time in right-wing areas and their left wing-back spent most his time defending in that area of the pitch.

It also helps when you look at the average position of the Barnsley players, not only was their attack pretty much all central but only the two strikers actually had average positions beyond the half-way line.

image.png.4289c335f984b2eae780d25aa619c93f.png

(I've just realised as writing this that their left-back moved into centre-mid and their right-back went to left-back when Ludewig came on for them, so 2 and 4 in this picture is slightly offset by those positional changes no doubt, making the wing-backs look more central, though their journey up the pitch is probably still reasonable to judge here)

• Like 2

I really don't think we can make any conclusions at all from that game vs Barnsley. They literally didn't lay a glove on us for 90mins until we handed them a goal, they're very poor and completely bereft of confidence. 

53 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yes, one from taking a freekick and one from a shot centrally just outside the area.  I don't think either of those had anything to with him playing RWB. Think back to the game and point out all of the positive things he brought to it as a RWB.  There aren't any, he hardly did anything at all there, because he's quite clearly not a RWB.

Neither do I, just wanted your attention.

9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't remember Tav doing pretty much anything in full-back areas. He barely even had to come back and help cover, did it maybe once or twice. The positional stats show that too, the heatmaps show he spent most his time in right-wing areas and their left wing-back spent most his time defending in that area of the pitch.

It also helps when you look at the average position of the Barnsley players, not only was their attack pretty much all central but only the two strikers actually had average positions beyond the half-way line.

image.png.4289c335f984b2eae780d25aa619c93f.png

(I've just realised as writing this that their left-back moved into centre-mid and their right-back went to left-back when Ludewig came on for them, so 2 and 4 in this picture is slightly offset by those positional changes no doubt, making the wing-backs look more central, though their journey up the pitch is probably still reasonable to judge here)

He didn't do anything anywhere, that's kinda my point.  The game would have passed him by completely if he didn't take freekicks or work that shot for himself.  I don't get why people want to neuter one of our best attacking players by playing him as a RWB?  All the moaning on here about team selection is bloody daft if people then support something like this.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He didn't do anything anywhere, that's kinda my point.  The game would have passed him by completely if he didn't take freekicks or work that shot for himself.  I don't get why people want to neuter one of our best attacking players by playing him as a RWB?  All the moaning on here about team selection is bloody daft if people then support something like this.

Oh, people are saying they still want him to play there? That seems strange. I thought he did alright against Barnsley but I certainly don't think there's evidence there of Tav being a good choice for right wing-back, especially when he had absolutely sod all defending to do all game.

47 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I really don't think we can make any conclusions at all from that game vs Barnsley. They literally didn't lay a glove on us for 90mins until we handed them a goal, they're very poor and completely bereft of confidence. 

The frustrating thing is that they didn't look much different in the cup until they scored, either. We were just rubbish.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Ha ha couldn't agree more. The same people who think Dijksteel is now a CB after only 3 decent performances. 

Square pegs in round holes... Absolutely sick of it. We have done it for years

• Like 1

Somebody has actually reported me 😀

First of all, I'm sorry if anybody was offended by me posting this emoji 🖕.  I hadn't realised that an emoji like this 🖕 could really be seen as offensive, because of it's cartoon-like nature.  As a rule, I don't take the emojis that seriously, and when posting this 🖕it's not meant to be taken at face value.  I have a brusque manner on here sometimes but it's mostly just an act, and such things as posting this 🖕 are meant only in a joking way.  Secondly, giving Will the bird is actually allowed under Magna Carta, and if anything it should be encouraged.

And so, in conclusion 🖕🖕🖕

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

First of all, I'm sorry if anybody was offended by me posting this emoji 🖕.  I hadn't realised that an emoji like this 🖕 could really be seen as offensive, because of it's cartoon-like nature.  As a rule, I don't take the emojis that seriously, and when posting this 🖕it's not meant to be taken at face value.  I have a brusque manner on here sometimes but it's mostly just an act, and such things as posting this 🖕 are meant only in a joking way.  Secondly, giving Will the bird is actually allowed under Magna Carta, and if anything it should be encouraged.

#ISTANDWITHCT 🖕🖕🖕

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Anthony Vickers has lost the plot since getting axed by the gazette

• Haha 3