oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I was disappointed when we let Bryn go too.  He did however have a couple of problems mainly that he was not very mobile and also at times he didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.  His retention of the ball was outstanding.

They did try him in several positions and that may have not helped but I saw him playing for England a couple of times and there his play was masterful - he was running the show.

Why could we not get that out of him in a Boro shirt ?  It seems a fair question.

Danny, I take your point but we are not playing many of the guys you mention out of the current squad.  Fry has returned to being the Fry of old and very good he is too ( most of the time)  Woody is knocking on the door but its not opening much - not enough Senior experience  .......  where's he supposed to get it from ?  how old was Mowbray and co ?  where did they get their experience

Coulson cannot get a game as Warnock thinks he's something he's not.  Wingy has done ok but now cannot get a game ! etc. etc.

Spence looks idle and inept but he's not.  He does struggle with what he's supposed to do at times and his defensive  positioning does need some hard work but he's quick enough to get round that

Is it the players ?  is it the coaches ?  we probably cannot ever know completely but it is the players livelihoods and the clubs success.  They have to be their absolute best to make sure the club is

I think if a lad comes through the Academy and is able to pursue a career in League football at any level, then we have to regard it as a success. Every so often, we unearth someone that stands out, but I would like to think we are amongst the best at producing quality youngsters at this level. The big fish obviously get the pick of the youngsters from all over the world, but we have had three or four lads reach international level in the last twenty years or so and I am struggling to remember anybody who has done that from Newcastle or Sunderland in that time. Somebody better at research than me will probably be able to come up with a rough figure, but I would be surprised if there aren't twenty or so Academy products still earning a living in English or Scottish football 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Rishworthian said:

I'm sorry Ben Liddell has gone. 

He has been impressive for the junior sides.  I was actually hoping that Warnock would get his hands on him and talk him into making the transition from junior to senior.  We have been notoriously bad at achieving this transition over recent years.  It is definitely time this issue was addressed otherwise we are spending a lot of money pointlessly.

It does not seem to matter how many age group England caps they gain if they do not transition from Junior to senior then there is little point in having an academy.

Having said that I do wish the lad well and I hope that he does "make it" what ever his / our opinion of "making it" may be 

If you haven't broke in and around the senior team by 22 then obviously it's best for both parties to go their separate ways.

Obviously not good enough as he's been out on loan several times to gain valuable 1st team experience and still hasn't kicked on.

Good luck to the lad and hopefully he has a successful career.

There is always a chance he will kick on playing week in week out in the lower tier... I really hope he does and we have inserted a sell on clause just incase.

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 4

IMO Ben Liddel was never going to make it. He’s too skinny for the championship. Even for the reserve side he was overshadowed by those around him but he took the penalties so his stats always looked good.

• Like 1

Going over the papers this morning at Bournemouth could be in for a very disruptive week with PL clubs eyeing several of their important players. Steve Cook, Josh King and David Brooks are lined up for potential moves.

13 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Watching the England match, Kieffer Moore really is massive, still disappointed he chose Cardiff.

I'm genuinely not, I think he'd only have made it easier for us to fall into bad habits. If we can get Chuba running channels consistently and being busy he'll do well for us.

• Like 1

Yeah, he didn't do much, but in fairness it was a weak Welsh side and he was injured early on.

• Like 1

I guess we all like the result v Wales but in reality there was not a lot to beat and some of their defending in the penalty area was criminal.

So I'm sorry the Welsh Gene pool is not large enough to give them a decent side.  Possibly even ever.  A few talented individuals maybe but that is likely to be about it.

Moore is a big unit but not very likely to score against an England defence that was not the most cohesive I've seen.  So he might be useful in the champo but that is about his best level, I'd guess

4 hours ago, estonpidge said:

Jordan Henderson

Pickford as well.

Northern Echo saying there are 12 clubs after the Chelsea left back.

32 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Pickford as well.

Northern Echo saying there are 12 clubs after the Chelsea left back.

Echo saying half a dozen, not a dozen