oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Danny Rose would be 'on paper' an amazing signing. 

Questions would be whether we could afford him, whether he'd be interested, and whether (as you say @CWC) a player who was a few years ago "deemed the best left-back in the country and Man City were bidding upwards of 40m for him" would even fancy the championship.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I think Warnock sees him as a stop gap LB especially considering the other options were Friend and Coulson last season and as soon as we get an actual LB, he won't be playing there again or considered there again. 

The fact that he has already probably already lost his place to Bola and we are trying for Rahman and Rose tells you that the Johnson LB experiment is over. 

If we used your argument, Warnock sees Howson as a defender because he played there during the lockdown and has contract extension triggered based off of his performances at the back. 

Johnson played every game last season under Warnock at left-back. Then we negotiated a new deal for him on the back of not just those appearances, but also because he literally stated "He was excellent for us during the end of last season". Since this season started and being given the #3, he's again, played left-back. Bola has come in for one game so far. Tav also came in and played on the right, does that mean Spence is not gonna be used at right-back any more? Johnson lost his place because the manager thought he's been rubbish but he has previously said he was excellent there, I don't see how you've translated that into thinking he'll never play left-back again.

First of all, Howson's contract extension was triggered by Howson, that was not negotiated based on what he did under Warnock. That was already in the contract he signed under Monk ready for him to activate. More to the point, he hasn't played in defence this season, he's been played exclusively in midfield and barring one game at right-back against QPR, that's where he played for Warnock last season too. These two situations have very little correlation at all.

If A, we can afford him and B, manage to pursuade him to come and play for us in the championship then if be over the moon. 

He's a top quality left back, bags of experience too. 

It was only last week there was an article about him hoping to either go to the US or Portugal to play rather than the championship, so hopefully he's changed his mind. 

Just now, Poly said:

Doesn’t seem to be any ITK posters on this board any more. Bit of a shame 

I think Warnock has just tightened up on the leaking of information out of the club.

1 hour ago, Mfcdanny said:

Am i the only fan that wouldn't be bothered if coulson got sold on. He seems to me to be inbetween 2 positions and i think that's how warnock must see him. I dont think hes good enough to play leftback becasue he looks very poor defensivly. And i dont he is creative enough to be an out and out winger. Id of thought wingback would be ideal but warnock clearly dosnt fancy him and if thats the case so be it. Hes experienced enough to know whats needed to get out of this league. Then again i dont think the other 2 left backs are good enough so would love to see another one come in. 

Yes i would be very disappointed, i think hes got alot  too offer and theres many other players id sell before him.

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Didn't Warnock say he wanted Coulson to play as a #10, and didn't he come on up front a couple of weeks back? That means he's not going to be considered for LB, so Rose's arrival would hardly push Coulson down the pecking order.

FWIW, I think we've got as much chance of signing Axl Rose as Danny Rose, so don't cry if we're flogging a dead horse.

You mean don't craaaiiiiiiyyyyyaaaaaiiiiiyyyyyyyaaaaiiiiyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyyy... 😉

Dunno if its just because I'm bored and desperate for us to sign someone, but it could be a laugh if we did sign old Axl.

Probably turn up for training an hour late, rant at everyone else for not training hard enough, then storm off and not be seen again for several days, until he's spotted in some seedy Newcastle nightclub.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Johnson played every game last season under Warnock at left-back. Then we negotiated a new deal for him on the back of not just those appearances, but also because he literally stated "He was excellent for us during the end of last season". Since this season started and being given the #3, he's again, played left-back. Bola has come in for one game so far. Tav also came in and played on the right, does that mean Spence is not gonna be used at right-back any more? Johnson lost his place because the manager thought he's been rubbish but he has previously said he was excellent there, I don't see how you've translated that into thinking he'll never play left-back again.

First of all, Howson's contract extension was triggered by Howson, that was not negotiated based on what he did under Warnock. That was already in the contract he signed under Monk ready for him to activate. More to the point, he hasn't played in defence this season, he's been played exclusively in midfield and barring one game at right-back against QPR, that's where he played for Warnock last season too. These two situations have very little correlation at all.

So I made my initial comment a bit tongue in cheek because of how poor Johnson is and you've seemed to take it way beyond that or failed to see it as the comment it was meant to be. I'm not going to comment beyond this as it's gone way past what I intended but I will say that:

- If you think a good manager is going to say in public that someone he needs to get something out of "is sh*t" then that isn't very good management in any walk of life. 

- With Warnock, his actions speak much louder than words and the fact that he is trying several clubs for a LB tells you he doesn't think Johnson is the answer and yeah he might be back in Bola on Saturday but the fact that Bola started that game is telling in my opinion as Bola has been nowhere near the team. 

- How does that relate to Spence? Well firstly, Spence is and has always been a defender unlike Johnson. Secondly, this adds more weight to the above as Spence has been poor too. So much so that Tav started the last game ahead of him. The reason why I don't think you are seeing us linked to any RBs is because Tav played well enough in that game to secure that position.  

- You put way too much stock in modern day footballer's squad numbers, Rui Patricio wears #11 (OK he cant wear #1) but you get my point, just because he has #11 doesnt mean he is going to play LW or is viewed as a winger. 

If you cannot see the Howson correlation then that's fair enough, I'm not saying that i'm right and you are wrong but I think Johnson was a short term fix at LB and the fact that we are being linked with several LBs tells you the same and he probably won't be viewed as a LB/LWB going forward. 

41 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Danny Rose would be incredible but I really don't see how we can afford him unless Spurs pay like 90% of his wages, isn't he on 100k a week there?

with Dan Levy in charge I'd expect it to be closer to £60k