oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

6 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I'll try to put this as gently as I can,Without causing too much stress,We have no income through the turnstiles,Any player that will improve our squad will not be cheap, perhaps 1/2 a million a month on the wage bill which isn't going to happen...Until this Pandemic is over we just got to get through on what we have,I suspect a few of our academy will step up...Anyway do you really want to go up and get battered every week cause I don't,I'd love to make the play offs...From what I've seen so far I think we can do better than that and claim a top two spot...I honestly do 

what player are we going to sign that is worth £6m a year?

Edited by estonpidge

17 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

what player are going to sign that is worth £6m a year?

Ozil is not getting a game 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Gibson needs to take punt have faith we are promoted. 

I'd rather still have a club than sign players in January...

Gibson will know best what the economics of the club looks like. If we don't spend in January, we have to understand why. The financial forecast for football clubs is already looking more grim than previously with the rise in cases, second lockdown, and the likely extension of it.

I was only just born, but anyone who was alive in 1986 will tell you that us having a club of this stature right now is a small miracle. Let's not risk a repeat of that.

Edited by Snowblind
  • Like 3

If we are languishing mid table then I can't see us making any signings really and I'd probably prefer to give our younger players more experience anyway.  If we are genuine play off challengers then we could maybe offer a contract to the end of the season on modest terms in exchange for an automatic one year extension on significantly better terms if we get promoted.  The cost would be irrelevant to us if we go up but may better tempt a good player than anything else we can offer.

Snow blind I remember 1986.  I did think about a trip to Hartlepool so I could see them one last time as I wasn't expecting them to survive much beyond that game.  I'd given up on them,  a complete basket case.  I was never going to see the Boro again.

I presume "brother Gibson" will remember it too and do his best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If promotion has to wait (largely because of this disease), then it has to wait rather than not seeing the Boro again.  I presume it is a choice we'd all make.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

what player are going to sign that is worth £6m a year?

Just a figure i plucked out of the air...But you know what I mean

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Just a figure i plucked out of the air...But you know what I mean

You have a point if you want to sign players on 125k a week but not really if we can get away with a wage contribution of 5-10k for players like Bolasie who isn’t even given a squad number for the season. There will be plenty of players like that who we can sign for very little money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uwe said:

Ozil is not getting a game 🤷‍♂️

Come on Steve / Neil...you know it makes sense! 😁

1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Who?

Duncan Watmore. That guy who’s been training with us for weeks. Former Sunderland player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

So is Watmore signing?

I expect it will be done before the middle of next week.

He does have better financial offers from abroad but wants to play for us. Knows it's a risk with his injuries but thinks the upside is greater.

Regarding the other offers either the football level is poor or it's in a country he doesn't really want to live. 

All signs point to boro. 

• Thanks 1

I dont think we will hear anything until next week on him. Just a hunch. 

Players were back in today for a light training session and Warnock back tomorrow I think

Sorry if this been mentioned but just seen video club released of lads training yesterday. Watmore is present in video and still training with us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Sorry if this been mentioned but just seen video club released of lads training yesterday. Watmore is present in video and still training with us.

I was looking for him but couldnt see him. Must of missed it