oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker inĀ Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then šŸ˜‚).

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I reckon we'll sell Assombalonga, add Clayton, Ayala, Shotton and Gestede to that and we've lost some high earners.

Bring on the Warnock revolution.

We might want to sell Britt and Iā€™d be in favour of it but I cant see anyone taking on his salary and giving us money. Heā€™s meant to be on Ā£40k a week isnā€™t he?

5 hours ago, macapes said:

That's a whole other issue though, the quality of our scouting/recruitment setup.Ā  Though I suppose you have to given them credit for Spence at least.

Do I think we'd buy well?Ā  No.Ā  Do I think we stand a better chance with some money in pocket of filling all the positions we desperately need?Ā  Yes.Ā  Does keeping Spence make up for a lack of CBs, LB, LW or CF?Ā  Ā Nope.

But that's why I say I'm hesitant.

Some people would jump at the chance of taking money despite not thinking we'll spend it well. I'd arguably say we should be trying to spend within our means, instead of throwing away a good player in a position when we have no guaranteed quality elsewhere.

We sell Spence and we have to buy a new RB on top of those positions too, we have to buy to put more pace into the side because we lose that with Spence leaving too. Suggestions from others that Dijksteel is ready to take that spot... based on what exactly? I can't remember a single good game he's had for us. That's not to say he's never going to be a good player for us but there's very little justification to say that will be the case if Spence goes.

I don't think we have a significantly better chance of buying what we need with more money, I think we're just as capable of buying trash right now regardless of how much we have to spend and I think we're just as likely to fill all those gaps. I'd be worried if we got Ā£50m plumped on our doorstep tomorrow because I think we'd just spend it recklessly, it's thatĀ bad.

Until we change how we recruit players, there's definitely a part of me that looks at losing any decent player in our squad and I just become hesitant, regardless of fee. After all, it's not just the short-term outgoings that are the deal with bringing players in. It's also the wage bill, something that has killed us this past year or so too.

• Like 1

Wilson I think there's some recency bias going on with Dijksteel because his Reading performance was rated very favourably all round, so people are now hoping that's the RB slot sorted.

Can't think of many games where Spence has played well as a right back.

Every single occasion people have raved about him, it's been solely because he looked vaguely threatening going forwards.

Even though I'd be happy to keep him, I don't think he'd be that difficult to replace.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Wilson I think there's some recency bias going on with Dijksteel because his Reading performance was rated very favourably all round, so people are now hoping that's the RB slot sorted.

I honestly didn't think he had a great game though, I don't know one thing he did really well? I've seen people say he had a good game since then and I'm not sure why, maybe someone can tell me what I've missed.

For me, he made less mistakes generally but that's not really indicative of aĀ goodĀ performance, just not a bad one. For what it's worth, WhoScored also had him statistically our worst player in the first 11 and when you go through his actual stats it's easy to see why... because he just didn't seem to do that much.

Not to mention that he wasĀ very lucky in my eyes not to get sent off after his studs went over Puskas' ankle before any goals had even been scored. The ref didn't see it but I'm a little shocked so few people seem to have mentioned it in the aftermath. Guess it's just because on our side we're only concerned with our win and on the Reading side, well, it's not like they've got anything to play for.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly didn't think he had a great game though, I don't know one thing he did really well? I've seen people say he had a good game since then and I'm not sure why, maybe someone can tell me what I've missed.

For me, he made less mistakes generally but that's not really indicative of aĀ goodĀ performance, just not a bad one. For what it's worth, WhoScored also had him statistically our worst player in the first 11 and when you go through his actual stats it's easy to see why... because he just didn't seem to do that much.

Not to mention that he wasĀ very lucky in my eyes not to get sent off after his studs went over Puskas' ankle before any goals had even been scored. The ref didn't see it but I'm a little shocked so few people seem to have mentioned it in the aftermath. Guess it's just because on our side we're only concerned with our win and on the Reading side, well, it's not like they've got anything to play for.

Didn't he make a goal saving challenge?

I thought he was solid, didn't see much I could pick fault with and especially after 8 months out. I thought he was improving pre injury too and let's be fair he only made 15 appearances

3 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Could Mike Van Der Hoorn of Swansea be type of CBĀ leader Warnock wants? Dont think he staying at Swansea unless they go up as they cant afford to offer him a new deal in championship.

Surely we couldn't afford to offer him a new deal in the championship in that case?

12 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Looking at warnocks dealings last summer I wouldn't be so sure.

Vaulks and Pack have been good signings and the signings can't be that bad over his time there as they look set to be in the playoffs and with a chance at promotion again with Warnock's squad

I think Warnock will give you a limited squad, similarly to Tony Pulis. They would ā€œdo a jobā€ but is it really what we want for the next 3 years? When Warnock goes then we are left with his signings. Just like Pulis they either fit or they donā€™t. That means you are risking more wages being wasted by being sat on the bench. We canā€™t afford to do this when embarking on a squad build.Ā 
Ā 

This is what letā€™s us down as a club. What is our long term strategy? No one knows. We havenā€™t got a director of football here to make those kinds of decisions. Now is the perfect time to replace one which fits with our new club model of ā€œthe golden threadā€. I would be more forgiving of boro if they had an identity and stuck to it.Ā 
There are so many different options that we could go for! It really is a blank canvass and I guess what gets at me a bit is that we are going back to Pulis and building a limited squad with no resale valueĀ for a manager who wonā€™t be here for ever.Ā 
Ā 

You either buy for the manager or bring in players to suit a style and the manager works with what heā€™s given. Either approach for us is a lose lose. Warnock with limited players or our recruitment team picking *** players to work with.Ā 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

When Warnock goes then we are left with his signings. Just like Pulis they either fit or they donā€™t. That means you are risking more wages being wasted by being sat on the bench. We canā€™t afford to do this when embarking on a squad build.Ā 
Ā 

But that's the case for any managerial change. Sack Pep and hire Mourinho and the same would happen.

The issue we have is reinventing the club, the philosophy andĀ the identity every time the wind changes. Pulis to Warnock would have been a fine transition as it's just tweaking what's gone before.Ā 

I think Warnock gives us a chance to build a solid foundation but that will all go out the window if after he leaves we go for revolution again.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, macapes said:

Exactly the reason to sell at an inflated price.Ā  Gives us cash to fill those gaps.Ā Ā 

Djed's looked decent at times, but I wouldn't drop Ā£10M on him.Ā  Better to take the cash now, with a sell on, for an easy profit for a kid with no ties to the area, than watch him plateau at ours and the price drop.

The problem with that is that we wont get anywhere ner 10 million at this stage in his career. We will be lucky to get 2-3 million max if we are lucky.

People keep saying Warnock is basically Pulis 2.0, but I don't see that. He took a pretty ineffectual Cardiff side and got them promoted. He likes pace on the wings and getting balls into the box. Yes, he can set up a team to stifle the opposition, but so can Hughton and he's pretty well regarded as a manager.

And saying we'd be stuck with Warnock's players when he leavesĀ makes sense if you're talking about Aiden Flint and Gary Madine, but this is also the guy who signed Sol Bamba and Junior Hoilett. Plus, he signed raw talents likeĀ Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Callum Paterson while he was at Cardiff and got the best out of them. Isn't that exactly what we want a Boro manager to do in these straitened circumstances - find lower-league talent and improve them to high-end Championship standard?

• Like 6

Here's something no one would have foreseen 12 months ago, both have 1 year left on their contracts but given his age and goal return I don't even think it's controversial to say we could get more for Fletch than Britt this summer.

Big decision for us on Fletcher because you can see the upper table Championship contenders looking at him he has alot of attributes and has started putting them together this season if we get an offer what we paid for him or more I think it would be very hard to keep him. Not mentioned alot when people mention sales but to me we need to shift on McNair he's had a decent season we could easily recoup 5/6 million for him and he's a bit of a luxury player don't see him being here come October. I know Browne's been written off but if Warnock takes a look at him pre season he could do wonders for his game like he did with Hoilett/Mendez-Laing and Bola I do think could come good as an actual LB another one where Warnock having a clue how to coach players might bring his best out.

4 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

People keep saying Warnock is basically Pulis 2.0, but I don't see that. He took a pretty ineffectual Cardiff side and got them promoted. He likes pace on the wings and getting balls into the box. Yes, he can set up a team to stifle the opposition, but so can Hughton and he's pretty well regarded as a manager.

And saying we'd be stuck with Warnock's players when he leavesĀ makes sense if you're talking about Aiden Flint and Gary Madine, but this is also the guy who signed Sol Bamba and Junior Hoilett. Plus, he signed raw talents likeĀ Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Callum Paterson while he was at Cardiff and got the best out of them. Isn't that exactly what we want a Boro manager to do in these straitened circumstances - find lower-league talent and improve them to high-end Championship standard?

You look through his transfers at Cardiff he got some absolute gems compare his transfer record to Pulis' record at West Brom/Stoke it's clear Warnock's got a better eye for value and talent in my opinion. He's perfect for what we need and I remember the season Cardiff went up yes they defended deep but they absolutely terrified people on the counter attack with their pace they ran Wolves the best team I've seen in the Championship pretty close over the season. The bloke has proven if you give him scope and means to build his squad he wont break the bank and in Cardiff's case made every player worth more than he got them for something only Karanka has managed to do for us in the past 30 years.

• Like 3
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)