oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I wonder if part of the reason we’re struggling to sign players is because Warnock is only here for a season. It doesn’t scream stability. Add in the fact we were just in a relegation scrap, it seems more like steadying the ship than ambition. 

No doubt we’ll get players in but hopefully it’s not bottom of the barrel. 

The thing I’m looking forward to seeing this season is us playing with a bit of fight in us, we’ve lacked that and hopefully Warnock can bring it back. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

We tried that method last year...

Arguably we did that in an environment which isn’t going to get the best out of the players. Senior pros looked clueless with Woodgates tactics and that’s down to Woodgate and his team. 
Arguably though Coulson, Spence and Pears did well when given a chance. Not world beaters at all. But enough promise to give them more exposure this season. Was Coulson really that much worse off than Johnson or Friend? Spence that bad instead of Shotton or Howson? 
Pears in goal had his moments but again all three had days that they would want to forget. But that’s part of them gaining experience. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I might have taken this the wrong way of course but do you think he should have stayed on?

Absolutely, at the time I didn’t want Karanka to go because I believed in his footballing philosophy and thought that even if we were to be relegated, he would be the man to take us back up. I wanted consistency and a long term plan, I liked a lot of the players that we had at the club, I really couldn’t name one that I like in the current squad. This isn’t hindsight, I was vocal at the time but in the minority. 

• Like 2
Just now, TheJew said:

Consistently back in the PL.

No, I meant he was on loan from Everton to Milan then returned and Barca bought him.  Then they sold him to Watford.  I think he's on about going back to Milan now as it happens.  I doubt he would have selected us over Milan but fair play to him if he would have 👍

12 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Absolutely, at the time I didn’t want Karanka to go because I believed in his footballing philosophy and thought that even if we were to be relegated, he would be the man to take us back up. I wanted consistency and a long term plan, I liked a lot of the players that we had at the club, I really couldn’t name one that I like in the current squad. This isn’t hindsight, I was vocal at the time but in the minority. 

I remember this as I was on your side. I wanted to get rid of the players causing the problems and keep the management team in place, regardless of if we stayed up or not. We're seeing now that it's much more difficult to replace a manager and a philosophy than a few players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, BegSteeleOrBoro said:

Mainly because getting deals over the line is his specific job. No one has suggested it is easy, but his record is dire. We have consistently overpaid and lost out to other teams of a similar level. I don’t think Gibson’s previous railing against agents is helping us either. This summer is highlighting that the problems in the club run far deeper than the manager!

Also - Why are we not going for players from Europe? We have 3 non-U.K. players in the squad at the moment. Got to be the lowest since pre-robson era. Another Gibson policy it seems

Should we blame Neil B or Gibson for that though? When we overpaid for players especially after we got relegated I blame Gibson for that! Why? He came out on public radio and said we have the money and wanted to smash the league.

So when we went bidding for Britt etc I am sure clubs like Forrest pulled our pants down. 

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I remember this as I was on your side. I wanted to get rid of the players causing the problems and keep the management team in place, regardless of if we stayed up or not. We're seeing now that it's much more difficult to replace a manager and a philosophy than a few players.

We did replace the players.  Karanka fell out with Leo, had a go at the fans, the club and just about every bugger else though.  Not sure we could have replaced all of them as well or there would just have been Aitor left on his own.

1 minute ago, xathras said:

Should we blame Neil B or Gibson for that though? When we overpaid for players especially after we got relegated I blame Gibson for that! Why? He came out on public radio and said we have the money and wanted to smash the league.

So when we went bidding for Britt etc I am sure clubs like Forrest pulled our pants down. 

It was the stupid managerial appointment that did us though. We signed 3 strikers with Bamford and Gestede already on the books.

Karanka would have taken us back up. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TheJew said:

It was the stupid managerial appointment that did us though. We signed 3 strikers with Bamford and Gestede already on the books.

@TheJew - at end of day Gibbo appointed the manager too. I am not bashing Gibbo as I love the fella i am just poiting out I think we are blaming the wrong reasons. 

2 minutes ago, TheJew said:

I doubt it.  He'd run his course here.  I would have thought your contacts in the game would have told you some of the stuff going on at the time.  You can't *** everyone off and then expect them to keep busting a gut for you.  I doubt Gibson wanted to let him go at all but it had reached the point of no return I think.  Handing it over to Agnew was a strange one though, I'll give you that.  Gibson does seem to get some odd ideas at times.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I doubt it.  He'd run his course here.  I would have thought your contacts in the game would have told you some of the stuff going on at the time.  You can't *** everyone off and then expect them to keep busting a gut for you.  I doubt Gibson wanted to let him go at all but it had reached the point of no return I think.  Handing it over to Agnew was a strange one though, I'll give you that.  Gibson does seem to get some odd ideas at times.

100% on this.

For me the Agnew decision was weird and not what we wanted. We needed some experience and leadership and I think had we appointed someone like Big Sam, Neil W etc. we may have stayed up. 

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

In my opinion Aitor was 'working his ticket' during that January transfer window. It was if he was actually begging to be sacked. If you recall he had a go at the fans after the West Ham home game, he publicly criticised the physiotherapy team, he lashed out at the recruitment team and the club for not getting the signings he'd been asking for 'since one and a half months ago' (his words).

In a tv interview after his departure Steve Gibson remarked it was a relief to Aitor and he'd been put out of his misery (or words to that effect).

The prospect of him seeing out the season with relegation then bouncing us back at the first time of asking is for the birds.

• Like 4
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)