oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, BoroAbroad said:

Guys. The club is a hobby to SG. Not the best run. But not the worst as we are still here.
Expect nothing more than mid table and the frustration disappears.
Meditate on that. 😌

Oh I have a long accepted that mid table will be the best we can hope for, but that still doesn't take away the frustration of just how badly run we are. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

Guys. The club is a hobby to SG. Not the best run. But not the worst as we are still here.
Expect nothing more than mid table and the frustration disappears.
Meditate on that. 😌

The key to happiness = low expectations.

• Haha 1

We have become a club where mediocrity is the staple diet. This from a club that once demonstrated ambition to be ranked with the most ambitious. 

It appears we now should be grateful to merely exist. There appears no ambition, no vision, no leadership, no cohesive plans, no ability to attract players to the club, no scouting system worthy of the name.

Yes, how we dare question the club with such a change sheet attached to it.....?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Snowblind said:

Jesus Christ... There's some on here who make me genuinely embarrassed to be a Boro fan.

There Birmingham fans down here who've read Boro forums, including this one, and regard some of the posts as absolute laughing stock. There's an inherent negativity in some who act like entitled, spoilt brats. Transfers are not the be-all-and-end-all of football. It's laughable. Genuinely laughable. Because I've been laughing at it with Blues fans.

Okay Steve.

Given Birmingham came even closer to relegation than us in the end, I'm sure they'd also be quite negative if they sat there a week before the new season having lost 8 players from an already small and iffy squad and replaced 1 of them.

They're happier because they've brought new faces in to strengthen.

They were losing their heads last season as they sank closer and closer to the relegation zone, so they're far from the best choice of fans to contrast us with.

• Like 1

It makes me smile reading this thread.

We’re a small town club and unfortunately it’s increasingly difficult for small town clubs to go toe-to-toe with the big boys. 
We took some chances after we got relegated, if they’d have worked we wouldn’t be talking about Gibson’s failures. They didn’t work and I’m sure Gibbo is a disappointed as most of us here. Let’s not forget that we wouldn’t have a football club if it wasn’t for him. We wouldn’t have had our only silverware and we wouldn’t have had our fun in Europe.

I’ve got used to the idea that Middlesbrough will never win the Premier League but that’s Ok, imagine being a Man Utd or Arsenal fan - they were used to dominating the league and suddenly they’re struggling despite their huge budgets.

We need Warnock to stabilise the situation and anything more is a bonus. 
I think he’ll get us playing like a team instead of 11 individuals - that’s what we’ve been missing. Whether he brings in 5 more players or not the team has to rise to the occasion and all this talk of young players being too young - someone once said if you’re good enough, you’re old enough and I think that says it all but obviously you need the right manager and maybe Warnock is the one!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, BelgianBoro said:

We’re a small town club and unfortunately it’s increasingly difficult for small town clubs to go toe-to-toe with the big boys. 
We took some chances after we got relegated, if they’d have worked we wouldn’t be talking about Gibson’s failures. They didn’t work and I’m sure Gibbo is a disappointed as most of us here. Let’s not forget that we wouldn’t have a football club if it wasn’t for him. We wouldn’t have had our only silverware and we wouldn’t have had our fun in Europe.

I’ve got used to the idea that Middlesbrough will never win the Premier League but that’s Ok, imagine being a Man Utd or Arsenal fan - they were used to dominating the league and suddenly they’re struggling despite their huge budgets.

I think he’ll get us playing like a team instead of 11 individuals - that’s what we’ve been missing. Whether he brings in 5 more players or not the team has to rise to the occasion and all this talk of young players being too young - someone once said if you’re good enough, you’re old enough and I think that says it all but obviously you need the right manager and maybe Warnock is the one!

Great post 👍

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I see it differently because it’s a forum where people can post and have discussions. I think it would be fairly useless having one if all where happy content chaps and all agreed with each other. It’s good to see realists and pessimists posting because it gives depth and prospective and allows people to get things off there chest. 

You are also one of the self proclaimed "realists" some see as a pessimist - No offence 😉

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, BelgianBoro said:

We're not a small town club. We have access to a conurbation of over half a million people on Teesside. Whilst i agree that we're never going to compete with the top 6 in the Premier League, there's no reason why a club of our size with our resources can't compete with the top 10 of the Premier League, if we're well run. 

We haven't been well run for a long time on or off the field. Gibson's made a good decision bringing in Warnock but the recruitment, commercial and ticketing element of this club is an absolute shambles.

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, BelgianBoro said:

We didn't take chances. We made poor decisions. End of. It was very clear to a lot of fans at the time and it's become inherently clear since then. Just like we didn't take chances in january 2017 but instead made bafflingly poor decisions. Even after the first transferwindow after relegation we continued to make poor decisions the following summer. Everyone and his dog could see the problems we had and how the club hierachy refused to adress them.

Just because Gibson saved the club 34 years ago doesn't exempt him from critique of the amateurish decision making over the last 3,5 years.  We are struggling now because of one mans inability to make the right footballing decisions and acknowledge that he might not be the right man to make those decisions.

Fair enough that he thinks he should make those decisions  as he picks up the bills. I can sort of understand that. But then he should also accept all the blame and not hide behind his newspaper spewing transparent propaganda nonsens.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BelgianBoro said:

I've got to say I can never get on board with this train of thought. Now i'm not saying you are wrong as it's your opinion which is realtive to your mindset, something people regularly forget..... however

The size of the town shouldn't set your position within the football pyramid. ignoring the fact that Teesside as a metropolitan area (include North Yorks, Darlo, Hartlepool where we pull support from) is equivalent to a small city it simply means it may make it a little harder to achieve success. Everton are limited by Goodison so pull in less than 40k but have never been outside the top flight, Leicester winning the league, Brighton coming from literally nowhere to become established, Bournemouth playing in a big shed in the prem, Hull coming from non-league and even Wigan who I don't belive existed early days but won the FA cup. Being a big city makes it easier but doesn't give you the right to be top dogs, that has to be earned with thoughtful, strategic planning which is then delivered upon. Likewise because you are a smaller town doesn't mean you should accept ineptness and failure as the norm.

Now the notion that Gibson saved the club. Was he instrumental? Yes. Was he alone in this or the largest contributor? No. He helped save the club in it's current form but he has also massively benefitted from it also. From becoming a shareholder for a relatively modest sum (Moszkowicz put more in before being bullied out I believe) he managed to gain control for a lot less than what it is worth today. Also an area the size of Middlesbrough will always have a professional sports team, look at WImbledon for example. Yes it will take time to build up and reach similar levels but the notion that 30 years later we wouldn't have a club is absurd. Would we have won a trophy and went to Europe? Who knows, probably unlikely by 2004/2006 but given how poorly we've performed since then we may well have done by now?

We don't choose to support Middlesbrough, we are fortunate to be born here and it's just what you do. If you like football you have a team on your doorstep to watch live and are taken down by the old man, locked in for a life full of misery it seems! However, some of us work in roles/industries that reward hard work, strategic thinking, shun nepotism and reward competent people that deserve the opportunties given and achieve regardless of background or social standing. So please forgive us for not sitting and accepting 'we are where we are' because the town is small, or because once we were almost wound up, whilst being treat with total disregard by 'one of our own'.

The problem with aiming for mediocrity is if you put in 100% effort and everything goes to plan, you might just make it......

Edited by Osvaldojnr
  • Like 10

I don’t pretend to be correct in my view of the club, it’s just how I see it and looking at the comments and likes it seems that some share this opinion and others don’t. 
it’d be boring if we all agreed!

so what about them signings? 
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

This is starting to look a bit like last summers transferwindow. Plenty of talk but we won't spent any money so will end up with some crap League 1 signings and miss out on the decent Prem loans. The season is going to be a slog. That's fine if Gibson would actually communicate with the fans. He's got a newspaper after all. But the big leader has gone into hiding. Probably because he's got nightmares about the myriad of bad decisions he's made in the last couple of years.

Don't be surprised if we're back in the pub at 5pm on deadline day when our attempts to wait out the high prices blows up in our face.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)