oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

8 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I don't understand what you mean

The strategy doesn't take 7 seasons, Brentford have been in the championship for 7 seasons 

1) Brentford have had six seasons in the championship and are going into their seventh.

2) Their basic strategy has been in place the entire time. 

3) Brentford's ultimate goal with said strategy is promotion to the premier league.

Therefore, it will have taken them at least seven seasons for their model to bear fruit.

That's what I mean. Although there are obvious flaws with my question. I guess it assumes us and Brentford would have the same starting position which is obviously impossible. But I'll maintain my basic point that their overarching strategy of incremental progress would test boro fans.

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

What do you mean it doesn't take seven seasons?

1) Brentford have had six seasons in the championship and are going into their seventh.

3) Brentford's ultimate goal with said strategy is promotion to the premier league.

Therefore, it will have taken them at least seven seasons for their model to bear fruit.

It's like saying if a club signs Kris Boyd then 6 years later they will get promoted

Your rule is correct if you ignore every single other factor and every other club that operates in a similar way yes

• Like 1
Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

That's what I mean. Although there are obvious flaws with my question. I guess it assumes us and Brentford would have the same starting position which is obviously impossible. But I'll maintain my basic point that their overarching strategy of incremental progress would test boro fans.

I agree there would be fans that wouldn't like it but they tend to be the success now and nothing else matters types and they will exist regardless of strategy. I feel most fans would accept a slow progression, especially one that offers financial stability which has been a problem that has plagued our club for years. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Morsy may have to wait little longer as he left on Sunday after talks with the club to weigh up his options - club are confident though. 

Expect to see him in a Barnsley shirt next week then.

1 minute ago, tmcc said:

I agree there would be fans that wouldn't like it but they tend to be the success now and nothing else matters types and they will exist regardless of strategy. I feel most fans would accept a slow progression, especially one that offers financial stability which has been a problem that has plagued our club for years. 

I would hope you're right. FWIW I think Brentford are a really interesting club and I think there's a lot to love about how they're run. I just also think that a desire to transplant Benham's strategy directly onto boro is too simplistic.

• Like 1
Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I would hope you're right. FWIW I think Brentford are a really interesting club and I think there's a lot to love about how they're run. I just also think that a desire to transplant Benham's strategy directly onto boro is too simplistic.

i agree, it would require an overhaul that i doubt the club would ever be willing to implement. id also so the risk would be higher for higher at boro than it is was at Brentford. 

36 minutes ago, tmcc said:

not caring about making a profit is narrow minded in my opinion and worrying. the worst periods in our history revolve around poor financial mismanagement  including our current situation, id go as far as suggest that just caring about promotion and nothing else has been a view held by many at the club and has been one of our biggest problems.
And yes they've sunk 60 mil in but they've been able to do that due to good sales, they made a profit, last season they sold 45 mil worth of players and spent 38 mil, 7 mil profit. season before that 31 million profit on transfers, season before that 9 million and it goes on like that.  And im sure again you'll say it dosent matter cause there not in prem, but like i said, for me its only a matter of time before they get promoted, they growing year on year as a club and getting closer and closer, they've made enough to build a new stadium and are investing in new and exciting players every season, all while working well within their budget. For me i could never call that a failure.

It doesn't matter because they aren't in the Premier League 🙂  I don't care about Boro making a profit.  Every football club should break even in my opinion but that's about it.  If you're making a profit and that money isn't being spent on the club then what does it matter?  It's just making money for someone else.

The owner has sunk £60m in.  The club owes him over £60m in loans that he's made to the club.  Their player sales have nothing to do with that.  They haven't made enough to build a new stadium, I'm not sure they are even paying for it exactly.  Residential properties are being built around the new stadium and the developer selling these will fund the new ground as will the properties being built where Griffin Park is now.  I think that all Brentford has contributed is the land although I dare some of it will be underwritten by their owner in some way.

We had a terrible season last season and we finished 17th.  Brentford had a great season last season and they finished 3rd.  By comparison it's easy to see why people would be so enamoured with them.  However, in the previous three seasons they finished 11th, 9th and 10th.  In the same seasons we were finishing 7th, 5th and 19th in the Premier League.  There is no way on Earth that anyone on here would have been happy with us finishing 11th, 9th and 10th over that same period.  None of you would be and you know it.  You can talk Brentford up all you like, but before last season their seasons wouldn't have even been close to good enough for us.

As soon as they get promoted then we can all congratulate them on a job well done.  But they have to get over the line first before we should be praising them as the model of how to run a club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

and is their model feasible for a Premiership club....every player they look at will have millions added to their transfer fees...wages will skyrocket and they will be stuck with the thought ..if we sell to them, we will be strengthening direct rivals

Just now, Changing Times said:

It doesn't matter because they aren't in the Premier League 🙂  I don't care about Boro making a profit.  Every football club should break even in my opinion but that's about it.  If you're making a profit and that money isn't being spent on the club then what does it matter?  It's just making money for someone else.

The owner has sunk £60m in.  The club owes him over £60m in loans that he's made to the club.  Their player sales have nothing to do with that.  They haven't made enough to build a new stadium, I'm not sure they are even paying for it exactly.  Residential properties are being built around the new stadium and the developer selling these will fund the new ground as will the properties being built where Griffin Park is now.  I think that all Brentford has contributed is the land although I dare some of it will be underwritten by their owner in some way.

We had a terrible season last season and we finished 17th.  Brentford had a great season last season and they finished 3rd.  By comparison it's easy to see why people would be so enamoured with them.  However, in the previous three seasons they finished 11th, 9th and 10th.  In the same seasons we were finishing 7th, 5th and 19th in the Premier League.  There is no way on Earth that anyone on here would have been happy with us finishing 11th, 9th and 10th over that same period.  None of you would be and you know it.  You can talk Brentford up all you like, but before last season their seasons wouldn't have even been close to good enough for us.

As soon as they get promoted then we can all congratulate them on a job well done.  But they have to get over the line first before we should be praising them as the model of how to run a club.

there 11th 9th and 10th relatively speaking is much better than our 7th 5th and 19th, they are tiny club that were playing league 2 10 years ago and league 1 just over 5 years ago, the comparison isnt fair, it would be like comparing united to norwich and saying Norwich haven't done well cause united have done better. 
they are small club that has made positive progression season after season and are currently moving in much better direction that Middlesbrough. 
also just cause one man said the aim the premier league dosent make them not being their a failure, for example, if the owner of hartlepool said his plan was to get hartlepool to prem, but they only made it to the championship would that be failure? i dont think so. the same with brentford, when was the last time a club the size of brentford made it to the playoff finals or even consitantly finished top half in the championship,  sure they havnt made it to the prem yet which is there ultimate aim but i dont think that means what they have achieved so far is failure. again a very narrow minded, all or nothing attitude. 

also on the money side of the owner sinking in 60 mil, the player sales have everything to do with that as without the profit from sales they would fail FFP, so dismiss its importance is nonsensical. 

Edited by tmcc
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)