oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Jamie-H said:

I'm guessing there's no press conference today from Warnock?

Bit strange usually the away teams do their media 2 days before the game to allow for travel and the Watford bloke did his this morning. He hasn't called in to TalkSport in a couple of weeks either probably due to give them a ring tomorrow morning...

Maybe he's sticking to the traditional thrusday timing? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think you’re concentrating too much on the ‘profit’ part. The idea people like of following a Brentford model is finding the Jota, benrhama, watkins, Andre grey type players. They do that while we go out and throw money around and end up in trouble.

I feel like you’re also underestimating their willingness to hold on to players, they only sell once a offer that is too good to turn down comes in. I’m pretty sure they were rejecting bids for watkins of around £10m last summer.

Also you talk about Brentford as if us and them are both in the same situation and we have been successful since we beat them in the play offs. The reality is you could call it the textbook tortoise and hare scenario, we threw money around while they plodded on doing what they do. We squandered what we had while Brentford are now sitting comfortably and in all honesty are a more attractive prospect for potential signings.

The idea of ‘Brentford’ people want is the plan, the lengths they go to to find the players. Since that play off game they still play the same way, sign the same type of players and often manage to be entertaining to watch. In the meantime we go through transition after transition and £200m to end up scraping survival after yet another root and branch analysis of how badly ran we are.

Brentford knew they couldn’t compete with the bigger teams so they got clever and looked in places the rest weren’t willing to look. It felt like our strategy if we needed a striker was to look at the top scorers list and buy the guy closest to the top we could afford. 

With respect, I wasn't concentrating on profit, tmcc was, and I was responding to him.  I was talking about league position and their failure to finish ahead of us with the exception of last season.  The argument can't be that it's a great model but you finish 9th/10th most of the time as I was pointing out. He then switched the argument to them making a big profit on transfers, as if that matters to fans, which I don't think it does.

Regarding the tortoise and hare scenario, that makes no sense whatsoever.  They still haven't achieved anything, they haven't been promoted and if they don't get promoted again this season then what are you going to say?  It's still the tortoise and hare but they are taking a bit more time?  What if they don't get promoted at all?  They are a tortoise but they are hibernating for a very long time?

We got promoted and then we blew it.  That is still better than anything Brentford has done to date.  Once they get promoted then we can all marvel at what they've done and congratulate them on their way of operating.  Until then though, I don't want Boro to copy a club who have so far failed to achieve the things we are aiming to achieve.  That doesn't mean that I don't want to see Boro playing good football because as you know I really do.  And it doesn't mean that I'd like to see a bit more thought going into what we do, because I really would like to see that as well.  We need to do it our own way though, not copy someone else.

I'd be fairly happy with Mendez-Laing if he came to us.

Looked decent every time I saw him last season.

It sounds like something bad has gone on to cause the termination though. He's deleted his social media too.

Cardiff City have terminated the contract of winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing effective immediately over an alleged breach of contract.

The Bluebirds have released a statement, just three days out from the start of the Championship campaign, to say that Mendez-Laing is no longer in the Cardiff City playing squad.

It comes after Neil Harris said Mendez-Laing had not been involved in pre-season plans owing to personal reasons. The 28-year-old had also deleted all forms of social media.

However, it is understood the player's contract termination is not mutual and it is an action which has been taken by the club upon learning of a breach of contract.

The full details as to what this actually means are as yet unknown.

The Bluebirds begin their league season at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

If we had their scouting set up with our infrastructure and finances maybe we could have bought the players they bought, but held onto to them rather than be forced to sell to bigger clubs. 

Maybe a better scouting set up might have done better than Gestede for 7m, Saville for 8m and Assombalonga for 16m. 

No we couldn't hold on to them.  Our finances are no better than Brentford's, that's the point.  What part of this don't people understand?  Some of you talk like we are a big club as compared to them. We probably generate a couple of million more in revenue per year and that's about it (not including transfer fees). We've done what we've done over the years by doing the opposite of them and by Gibson being prepared to chuck his money away.  What you're talking about is changing this completely so we can't then just do the same things as well. 

I'm sure a better scouting set up would have done better than signing those players but the only reason we could sign them in the first place is because we got to the Premier League and we did that by not doing what Brentford do.  If we'd done what they do then we wouldn't have gotten there and we wouldn't have had the money to waste in the first place, that must be obvious, surely?  Until they achieve promotion, then why would they be a model to follow for us?  If our aim is promotion, which it has been over the previous few years, then a model that has so far failed to earn promotion clearly isn't the way to go.  The idea that we'd have just done it better than Brentford is pretty stupid quite frankly.  It's fantasy.

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

Dom Shaw on Morsy

If the Gazette are willing to talk about it that's got to be positive surely. The PR arm of the club usually wouldn't mention it I don't think otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)