oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

27 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Just hope the only advice Mido inevitably gives him is where to live, if Mido starts giving him parmo recommendations we're doomed!

I wonder how low the fee is there's speculation Wigans end we paid 450k with 45k going to Chesterfield as a sell on 😬

They were due 10% of profit after £200k so that would make it £650k if the figures are right. Still, a steal compared to what we have paid out for our midfielders. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Why does it always have to be one or the other? Are those the only two courses going at the football manager training camp?

Didn't say that though did he? But we haven't played decent football for decades and we couldn't win games last season, I'd rather just get back on track first

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Why does it always have to be one or the other? Are those the only two courses going at the football manager training camp?

It usually isnt separate though, as for some periods of the game we play "good" football, but mostly just "crap" football. 😂

Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I wasn’t over the moon with Warnock either but I’ve warmed to him. I don’t think I’ll ever be thrilled with that sort of appointment but it is what it is. 

Out of interest, who would you have chosen? 

I don't know mate, it's not so much the individual as his beliefs that I'm interested in I suppose.  I think the club should have certain core beliefs or philosophies and every manager we appoint should be of the same mind.  So for me, I want to see good football, I want to see our young players promoted, and given lots of opportunities to succeed (and fail) if necessary.  I would love to see coaching, proper developmental coaching, at the heart of everything we do.  Seems to be less and less of that these days around football in general, and that seems really short-sighted to me.  I want to base our signings on speed, technique and intelligence, rather than how big they are, and how strong they are, and how good they are at shouting at other players, as though that's the be all and end all.  I don't want to see central defenders punting balls upfield over and over again, I don't want to watch a team with a passing accuracy of just over 1 in 2, that should be seen as garbage at this level, but clearly some people are fine with it.  Warnock plays the way that he does because it doesn't require much thought.  It's basic, simple stuff, that can be implemented pretty quickly and doesn't require some of the things I would prefer to see in our players.  Any club at any level could do it, it's no different to what you'll see on weekends all over the place.  In fact, you'll probably see more football being played there, that shouldn't be how it is for a team spending millions of pounds on player salaries.  It was crazy watching our players trying to do that last Friday, with the team that had been selected, in the shape that it had been selected.  That isn't good management, it's just complete inflexibility.  I just found it disheartening I suppose and if it continues then I will continue to find it disheartening.

Apologies for being a downer on this issue as I appreciate that other people aren't really bothered but I can't help the way I see the game and feel about things.  I have tried not to talk about it so much on here cos I know people don't want to hear it 👍

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

When was the last time we played anything but crap football? 

Exactly, so maybe we are due for a change.  You know, while things are bottoming out, you see the opportunity to change things for the better.

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Apologies for being a downer on this issue as I appreciate that other people aren't really bothered but I can't help the way I see the game and feel about things.  I have tried not to talk about it so much on here cos I know people don't want to hear it 👍

That's not being a downer CT.  Plenty of us feel like this, very well-written piece.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't know mate, it's not so much the individual as his beliefs that I'm interested in I suppose.  I think the club should have certain core beliefs or philosophies and every manager we appoint should be of the same mind.  So for me, I want to see good football, I want to see our young players promoted, and given lots of opportunities to succeed (and fail) if necessary.  I would love to see coaching, proper developmental coaching, at the heart of everything we do.  Seems to be less and less of that these days around football in general, and that seems really short-sighted to me.  I want to base our signings on speed, technique and intelligence, rather than how big they are, and how strong they are, and how good they are at shouting at other players, as though that's the be all and end all.  I don't want to see central defenders punting balls upfield over and over again, I don't want to watch a team with a passing accuracy of just over 1 in 2, that should be seen as garbage at this level, but clearly some people are fine with it.  Warnock plays the way that he does because it doesn't require much thought.  It's basic, simple stuff, that can be implemented pretty quickly and doesn't require some of the things I would prefer to see in our players.  Any club at any level could do it, it's no different to what you'll see on weekends all over the place.  In fact, you'll probably see more football being played there, that shouldn't be how it is for a team spending millions of pounds on player salaries.  It was crazy watching our players trying to do that last Friday, with the team that had been selected, in the shape that it had been selected.  That isn't good management, it's just complete inflexibility.  I just found it disheartening I suppose and if it continues then I will continue to find it disheartening.

Exactly my thoughts, think the only time we will see anything of the above is whenever gibson decides hes had enough of playing football manager or not take his footballing advice from people because theyre from 'boro'. 

13 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

That's not being a downer CT.  Plenty of us feel like this, very well-written piece.

Yeah but I know a lot of people don't feel that way and it can get repetitive, which can then be annoying if you think differently about it.

31 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Definitely no need to apologise. I agree with a lot of what you're saying regarding what direction you want us to pursue.

My stance has been similar to what it was towards Woodgate last season (I think I replied to you about it last summer) which is: I didn't want him but he's here now so I'm doing my best to get behind it. Once Warnock saved us, although I had exactly zero faith that the club would do this, I really wanted us to take a chance and invest in a more adventurous manager. Warnock's here now and I'll admit that I've found it easier to warm to him than I did Woodgate but I still completely sympathise with your point of view. At the end of the day we've had Pulis and Warnock at the club within under one season of each other - that makes for pretty grim reading if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, RiversideRed said:

Who's next in the door after Morsy? With Sanogo's deal falling through are we likely to push harder for Woodrow? I'd like us to get a left-footed CB as soon as possible too.

Left footed CB who can also play LB would be brilliant especially for us to change to a back 4 if required.

• Like 3

Football has outpriced us, that's the problem. We can't buy intelligent quick players because they're more expensive. If we home grow them a bigger club will throw money at us and take them. It is depressing, honestly. Spence emerged last season and already other clubs are watching. We no longer hold that PL status that protected a small club like ours. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Exactly, so maybe we are due for a change.  You know, while things are bottoming out, you see the opportunity to change things for the better.

It's a shot in the dark though, there aren't many readily available attacking managers with an attractive style. Paul Cook is the only one I could see us attracting and he is likely still in legal wranglings

36 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'd rather win playing good football.  Maybe one day we'll give it a try.

Every single fan would agree, but unfortunately playing good football doesn't always end up in being successful. Arguments to both sides...  Would you say we were playing good football under our most successful Steve McClaren era? I remember a lot of fans complaining of Cattermole, Parlour and Boateng playing RM at times and it was horrible to watch but we won games. I'd take that every day of the week as I want to see Boro successful, couldn't care if we play attractive football or not. It's 3pts all that matters to me

• Like 5
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)