oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We have full backs.

The system is rubbish.

When I talk about how our problems were absolutely in wide areas in the last game, I don't know how anyone can sit there and think we shouldn't buy wingers and support the fact he refused to change his wing-backs when you've got 2 options sitting on the bench for those exact positions. It's utter rubbish.

To me, that means he thinks our wing-backs performed fine in the Watford game and I just don't understand how he's come to that conclusion. It's worrying because I also think this opinion of his has existed since he took over after Woodgate left and, as a result of performances in post-lockdown games, we thought it was reasonable to give Johnson the #3 shirt. I've no idea what he sees in Johnson as a full-back/wing-back right now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just thinking about forwards in the Prem that could come on here. One name jumps out and has a proven Championship record, but would be expensive and/or on big wages. Doesn’t fit the idea of a big striker though. ... Dwight Gayle from the Geordies.

2 minutes ago, AstoriaBoro said:

Just thinking about forwards in the Prem that could come on here. One name jumps out and has a proven Championship record, but would be expensive and/or on big wages. Doesn’t fit the idea of a big striker though. ... Dwight Gayle from the Geordies.

I think he's out for 3 month injured. 

3 minutes ago, AstoriaBoro said:

out months through injury.

7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

To me, that means he thinks our wing-backs performed fine in the Watford game and I just don't understand how he's come to that conclusion. It's worrying because I also think this opinion of his has existed since he took over after Woodgate left and, as a result of performances in post-lockdown games, we thought it was reasonable to give Johnson the #3 shirt. I've no idea what he sees in Johnson as a full-back/wing-back right now.

Listen I founded the Marvin 'worldie' Johnson, as christened by Sheffield United fans when they signed him, hate club and him having the number 3 shirt pains me but he was so much better than Spence in that game especially defensively at least he has the stamina to get up and down.

There was a time where our attack broke down they got down our right and I timed how long before Spence got back to help Howson it was 30 seconds, he didn't just bust a lung running forward he jogged forward and walked back he is a liability for me who's very lucky that Dijksteel's needed in the middle. How 2 years on Spence has the same stamina issues I noticed in a U23 game is beyond me he needs to figure it out or he's not long for this level.

Warnock openly saying yesterday he wants new fullbacks but the budget's not there for it is telling in itself.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, AstoriaBoro said:

He is injured for quite a while I think.

14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

When I talk about how our problems were absolutely in wide areas in the last game, I don't know how anyone can sit there and think we shouldn't buy wingers and support the fact he refused to change his wing-backs when you've got 2 options sitting on the bench for those exact positions. It's utter rubbish.

Johnson had a 37% pass completion in the Watford game.  That's garbage.  Warnock couldn't see any possible way to improve on that though.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I don't think so, If the likes of Sheff Wed and Derby can take on expensive wages no reason we can't. We probably have the smallest wage bill of any of the so called "big championship clubs". Ofc this assuming Gibson wants to show ambition, which is what I doubt more than us being unable to pay some decent wages. 

Pick literally any other 2 championship clubs for who’s financial model we should be following 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't Watford have 1 up front occupying our 3 Centre Backs so he theoretically shouldn't get a sniff but bullied Hall and co at the age of 18, some of the gaps in our midfield and defence were scary considering it's Watford's 2nd/3rd team and of course toothless up front cos we only have 1 player who likes getting on the ball in Tav 

This argument makes no sense that we don't have the budget, if we prioritise a solid left back so we can buy/loan wingers we don't need to sign 2 more strikers if we're only playing 1 up front 

11 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Didn't Watford have 1 up front occupying our 3 Centre Backs so he theoretically shouldn't get a sniff but bullied Hall and co at the age of 18, some of the gaps in our midfield and defence were scary considering it's Watford's 2nd/3rd team and of course toothless up front cos we only have 1 player who likes getting on the ball in Tav 

This argument makes no sense that we don't have the budget, if we prioritise a solid left back so we can buy/loan wingers we don't need to sign 2 more strikers if we're only playing 1 up front 

They had 2 shots on target all game 

9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Listen I founded the Marvin 'worldie' Johnson, as christened by Sheffield United fans when they signed him, hate club and him having the number 3 shirt pains me but he was so much better than Spence in that game especially defensively at least he has the stamina to get up and down.

There was a time where our attack broke down they got down our right and I timed how long before Spence got back to help Howson it was 30 seconds, he didn't just bust a lung running forward he jogged forward and walked back he is a liability for me who's very lucky that Dijksteel's needed in the middle. How 2 years on Spence has the same stamina issues I noticed in a U23 game is beyond me he needs to figure it out or he's not long for this level.

Warnock openly saying yesterday he wants new fullbacks but the budget's not there for it is telling in itself.

No he wasn't better.  He was bloody awful.  I thought Spence was poor on Friday night, I don't think he knows what is expected of him quite honestly, but he was better than Johnson.  The amount of times that Johnson gave the ball away alone decided that, but let's not pretend he's actually a decent defender either.

The example you give there though seems unfair to me.  Spence and Johnson shouldn't have to sprint back all of the time, that's the entire point of having an extra central defender and two midfielders who tend not to get ahead of the ball.  The wingbacks are your attacking outlet out wide so they will be caught up field sometimes.  I don't have a problem with that at all and it's up to other players to see that and respond to it.  If Howson can't manage it then that's down to him not having the legs to do the job, which is something we saw again on Friday.  Same goes for Saville on the other side and the two central defenders on either side as well.  You're not playing Dijksteel there because he's a great big lump, you're playing him there because he is essentially a full back and will/should act like that when Spence goes forward.  Part of our problem at the moment is we ping the ball forward from the back, the wing backs then have to get forward to get involved, and when they do we've lost the ball half the time and the wing backs are out of position defensively, but not necessarily close enough to get pressure either.  They get caught betwixt and between.  I said it other night, I can't think of many examples of sides using wingbacks and playing really direct.  It was only when Watford sat back and let us play in front of them that we really stopped doing that quite as much, but even then, if we won it deep it would usually go long again.

I wrote on an earlier post that Johnson's passing accuracy the other night was 37%.  I don't actually blame him for that because he's quite clearly doing what he's told and getting the ball forward.  I don't think Warnock cares whether those passes reach a Boro player or not, the ball gets played into forward areas, and we try and win it back further up field than we had it in the first place and play from there.  The sad thing is, even with better players, the way of playing would still be the same.

@Changing Times Oh yeah they were both bad I'm just saying out of the 2 of them who defended our box better and stood Watford players up well enough in wide areas Johnson did that side of things better than Spence. On the ball they were both dreadful no debate on that but we did seem to go down the right 70% of the time on Friday so Johnson didn't really have as many chances offensively to do much besides a couple of awful free kicks he whipped in.

Dijksteel had Pedro in his pocket all night he covered the right side well but I didn't like Howson sitting in there to cover Spence they can bypass him too easily and him shifting so far over left a gaping hole in the middle. I agree that the 50 yard pings leave the wingbacks caught inbetween but the solution can't be to leave Jonny Howson there to cover the counter attack he's not winning any 30 yard foot chases.

I think if we had experienced wingbacks in the team they'd understand when to go, when to stay in between and hopefully they could whip a consistent delivery in. But yeah without new wingbacks or fullbacks and Johnson as our no.3 we're probably in for a long season, Coulson actually gets up and down well he's the 1 out of the 3 of them I could see convincing in that role.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)