oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

There’s still a lot of players out there without a club. I wonder if we will pick up a few squad fillers once the window closes on the cheap, we are very low on numbers. Even players like Kevin Stewart who seemed to be in demand and turned us down is still without a club. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

There’s still a lot of players out there without a club. I wonder if we will pick up a few squad fillers once the window closes on the cheap, we are very low on numbers. Even players like Kevin Stewart who seemed to be in demand and turned us down is still without a club. 

The season he got Cardiff promoted he signed 11 free agents/bosman transfers!

Just for RWB alone you have Kieron Freeman and Gunter out there who would improve us, there's a couple of creative mids/CBs out there as well maybe Warnock's waiting it out until free agents drop their wage demands...

6 minutes ago, Liquid said:

It's been said on here many times, but I'd love for us to have a go for Marcus Maddison. Surely his wage expectations are within our reasonable budget. I think he'd be a good fit for us.

The fact that he is still a free agent says a lot about his perceived attitude IMO.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The fact that he is still a free agent says a lot about his perceived attitude IMO.

Possibly - or maybe he’s just like Kevin Stewart, Gunter etc. mentioned earlier? You have to assume that they are still asking more than clubs are willing to pay. It really seems that this window is going to be “who blinks first” for many clubs and players.

i know Maddison did tweet to ask why no one seemed interested in him - but if his agent is putting out silly wage demands that would also explain the lack of interest in him.

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I think the Boro boat has sailed as far as Kevin Stewart is concerned!

8 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Possibly - or maybe he’s just like Kevin Stewart, Gunter etc. mentioned earlier? You have to assume that they are still asking more than clubs are willing to pay. It really seems that this window is going to be “who blinks first” for many clubs and players.

i know Maddison did tweet to ask why no one seemed interested in him - but if his agent is putting out silly wage demands that would also explain the lack of interest in him.

An agent was on the radio saying a lot of players are still owed bonuses from their contracts (something to do with how they are paid). He seemed to think that a number of players deferred this payment which was due in June due to Covid, the problem is that if they sign a new contract they loose the bonus. This is apparently why some free agents haven't gone anywhere.

All sounded very confusing to me.

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

An agent was on the radio saying a lot of players are still owed bonuses from their contracts (something to do with how they are paid). He seemed to think that a number of players deferred this payment which was due in June due to Covid, the problem is that of they signed new contract they loose the bonus. This is apparently why some free agents gave gobe anywhere 

All sounded very confusing to me.

So is likely there will be more free agents after 16th of October than is usual.

Personally I’m hoping we drop the 352 and go 343, bringing Roberts back if possible would allow us to do this. With the players we have at wing back 352 just doesn’t get us stretching teams enough imo.

7 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Personally I’m hoping we drop the 352 and go 343, bringing Roberts back if possible would allow us to do this. With the players we have at wing back 352 just doesn’t get us stretching teams enough imo.

I think we would be conceding 5 every game if we did that

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

So is likely there will be more free agents after 16th of October than is usual.

I think from so what he was saying.

The illustration he gave was one of his clients is on 10k a week. 3k is a weekly wage and 7k is  bonus and other things.

The player gets his 3k as a wage and the other rolls on and is paid every three months as a lumper. He had a special word for it but I forget.

That means this player is currently owed something like 100,000. So not peanuts.

The agent seemed to think players will either have to sacrifice their bonuses, loose them if clubs go bust or wait until the money is paid. 

It will effect everyone differently. Those starting the game and those near the end if their careers will be the biggest effected.

I will see if I can dig up a link it was a good interview 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

From everything I've heard/seen he does seem to have a massively over inflated opinion of himself. I'm sure in January, there was talk in the press that he'd priced himself out of a move to the championship.

I found this YouTube video (I'll post the link below) of the Peterborough chairman talking about their January window, of which Maddison is discussed at length. Very much backs up that Maddison has priced himself out of moves and has a high opinion of himself. His agents also seem like tools too.

In the video he also mentions that 7 clubs had interest in Toney and another 7 had interest, but couldn't do a deal until the summer due to FFP. Wonder if we were one of those. He also mentions 1 club making 4 bids in January, and he mentions he "loves their model", which in my opinion is Brentford.

I'm not usually in favour of going for players who have reputations for attitude problems, leopards and spots and all that. But I do think with a team as functional and as rigid as ours, Marcus Maddison wouldn't be the worst signing in the world, assuming the wages were at the lower end of the scale. As an option off the bench, even having an impact a handful of times over the season could make a difference.

However, I'd imagine that if we're still in for Roberts, he's probably going to fill that same spot in the squad.