oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I am going to have a different attitude this season. I am going to support and get behind the squad that NW puts out on the pitch each and every game until that  player(s) shows that they should not be anywhere near the ground let alone the team.

We all saw a good improvement on Saturday last and there is still plenty of games to go for further improvement.

Heck I even believe that LW might kick a ball straight eventually😃

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, TheJew said:

We need wingers and creative players. Wing backs are ok with what we have.

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

• Like 1

The 352 should have a solid core and let the wingbacks just bomb on - which I think Coulson and Spence are made for. Woody wasnt the grestest mastermind but early doors we seemed to be pushing Coulson and Spence on and allowing them to press high up the wing and give them freedom to play. Thats what we should be giving them now. You cant have defense-first wing backs or it turns to a 532 with no width whatsoever. Both of those lads are probably used to having a winger in front of them and playing overlaps/waiting for the passes back so they can cross from deep or recycle infield. Our main problem IMO is set piece fragility, finding a balanced midfield 3, and creativity in the final 3rd. We are intent on playing 352 so lets unleash the WBs to start making inroads on the creativity in the final 3rd.

Oh...transfers....errrr....buy a LCB

25 minutes ago, Brunners said:

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

23 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

So what is everyone’s opinion on our two wingbacks?

Are they good enough or do we need to look at other options?

I'd prefer Coulson to Johnson, but as Johnson was given the #3 shirt and Coulson hasn't had a sniff, I can't see him getting a game on the left anytime soon.

I'm happy to persevere with Spence, hopefully he can push on.  

I'm more concerned about having the right defenders in the back three when it comes to defensive duties.  The wing-backs should be mainly concerned with providing an attacking outlet.

Johnson and Spence aren't good enough to play the system. Spence should be nowhere near the first team, was thrown in way too soon and too raw out of desperation because Woodgate's plan boiled down to throw darts at the board until it went well.

3-5-2 RELIES on the wing-backs. They are VITAL. The single most important position in the system. They provide the width, which ours don't, and hence why we never break teams down. How often do our players get to the by-line and pull the ball back into a dangerous area? Statistically, most goals are scored inside the 6 yard box. How often do we get the ball there in a match?

It's not rocket science. It has been the same for years. At the moment, we are a hit-and-hope side, and it is 90% because we have no effective wing play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
50 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

So what is everyone’s opinion on our two wingbacks?

Are they good enough or do we need to look at other options?

I'd go McNair and Coulson as the WBs personally. Bring in a left sided CB and play them alongside Dijksteel and Hall/Fry.

What would people think of signing that Stewart Downing who was recently released by Blackburn? I assume he would be the kind of player we could all agree on, and certainly not a divisive figure like many in our current squad.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
7 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Johnson and Spence aren't good enough to play the system. Spence should be nowhere near the first team, was thrown in way too soon and too raw out of desperation because Woodgate's plan boiled down to throw darts at the board until it went well.

3-5-2 RELIES on the wing-backs. They are VITAL. The single most important position in the system. They provide the width, which ours don't, and hence why we never break teams down. How often do our players get to the by-line and pull the ball back into a dangerous area? Statistically, most goals are scored inside the 6 yard box. How often do we get the ball there in a match?

It's not rocket science. It has been the same for years. At the moment, we are a hit-and-hope side, and it is 90% because we have no effective wing play.

Literally had a message typed about to send but you said it better, our attacking philosophy is so unimaginative, like you say we don't have the players to get at defenders, get to the byline and have a better chance of finding a dangerous cross/cut back our only game plan is to work it slowly to Marvin Johnson and hope 1 of his 30 crosses from a non dangerous area is perfect

Some of us are sick to death of how slow, toothless and uninspiring we are going forward, we're crying out for 2 wide players who can produce those few moments of genius in games to get a goal or set one up. 

We don't have a single player who get you off your seat in anticipation as soon as they get the ball, only player even sort of close is Spence really

• Like 3