oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

7 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

@Tom   Selling Bamford wasn't the ridiculous idea, buying Britt was when we already had Bamford.

Perhaps the second part of your statement is true, but that doesn't change the fact that selling Bamford when we did was a huge misstep, both at the time and in hindsight.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, FamilyBoro said:

Regarding Bamford, a lot of our fans were happy with ~£10 million that was suggested at the time and even the majority of Leeds fans last season were saying how good that deal was for us with them overpaying. Ok now with the benefit of hindsight he has started in PL very well so it’s easy for everyone to do a 360. Still a long time left and I’m sure it won’t be long before Leeds are demanding a more high profile striker ... again 

I don't remember a lot of people being happy with it to be honest. Bamford was a player we courted after he left after his first loan spell because we knew what he was capable of and still expected he could make it at the top level. I know that, despite the fact he didn't solve our issues in the Prem, having him in the squad going into the Championship and having him as part of our own long-term future was huge for some people, myself included. I thought Bamford and Middlesbrough were going to be synonymous for the rest of his career, we had finally got him where he needed to be to succeed after those 3 failed loan spells where he didn't get much of a chance.

Leeds of all places, bloody Leeds, to sell him for £10m, we didn't even make that much profit on him and we were left with undoubtedly the worse of our 2 main strikers going into that season. Pulis had to stumble on him as a striking option the season before, after playing him left-wing for a few games and expecting him to come good... then he showed the best of what he's capable of in a short spell up front, went on a run of scoring goals. Next season comes and we couldn't get rid of him quick enough. Pulis claims it was him that wanted to go and hell, if it was, who can bloody blame him? The man didn't appreciate what he brought to us and a team that had just hired a world renowned manager wanted him on board. Bielsa had his critics at the time, there were plenty who thought he wouldn't last 5 minutes as he seemed to jump around from one job to another if not everything went his way. But I suspect Bamford would rather 5 minutes with Bielsa than another second with Pulis.

• Like 8

@Tom not disagreeing with you, just saying why spend £15m + wages when we already had a striker who could get us promoted, the money could have been used on bringing in a decent manager in the first place to evolve AK's squad not start again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:

Bamford demanded assurances that he would be first choice when fit. he never got them. He then, through his representatives, engineered a move away. This is how it went from start to finish of his exit process.

No it isn’t. We accepted an offer for him and he was basically forced out by Pulis and Bausor.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Changing Times said:

On the basis of?

Free transfer.

Pace to burn,  very tricky,  can play anywhere across the front but is primarily a winger.

Young.

I dont think we have anyone like this.

For me, its a no brainer if the wages are within budget.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Free transfer.

Pace to burn,  very tricky,  can play anywhere across the front but is primarily a winger.

Young.

Doesn't have the best of stats, but I suppose he wouldn't be without a club if he had. Only just turned 22 so plenty of time to improve, and as you say will add some of the stuff that we are really missing. Clearly we don't have the finances to buy someone with higher quality, but we could probably do a lot worse than Green. With the leagues up and running I'm sure his demands will have dropped to a more acceptable level.

26 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Free transfer.

Young.

Are you talking about Marcus Browne? Lol only joking. I’d like Greene here.

1 minute ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Are you talking about Marcus Browne? Lol only joking. I’d like Greene here.

Browne looks best in the middle though if you ask me. Even in centre mid. He isnt really a tricky winger imo.

Green, Roberts, and a left back on loan from a Prem team would mean we can play 4-3-3... and look a much better side I reckon.

Something like the below would feel so much better than what we have now. Spence and Johnson aren't good enough to play wing-back and it's killing us every game IMO. 

---------------Bettinelli---------------

---Howson-Dijksteel-Hall--(loan LB)

--------McNair---Morsy---Tav-------

--Roberts---Akpom/Britt---Greene

4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Green, Roberts, and a left back on loan from a Prem team would mean we can play 4-3-3... and look a much better side I reckon.

Something like the below would feel so much better than what we have now. Spence and Johnson aren't good enough to play wing-back and it's killing us every game IMO. 

---------------Bettinelli---------------

---Howson-Dijksteel-Hall--(loan LB)

--------McNair---Morsy---Tav-------

--Roberts---Akpom/Britt---Greene

Why are you playing Howson at RB when Dijksteel was bought to play RB?  You've left Fry out to accommodate that arrangement too.

• Like 3