Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

Recommended Posts

Karanka had him playing the best football of his career so far.

Hid his weaknesses better than anyone has since. 

A similar year could get him another big move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson will have a good idea of whether or not he would get anything out of working with Warnock and he'll be fully aware of the fragility of the Brum role for Karanka

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Karanka had him playing the best football of his career so far.

Hid his weaknesses better than anyone has since. 

A similar year could get him another big move.

To be fair, it's been Gibson's only really consistent run of football. I wouldn't necessarily say Karanka hid his weaknesses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BoroYorkie said:

I think that is unfair on Howson. Tomlin is a player who’s main attribute is seeing and playing passes that others don’t. Howson didn’t have the best game that day, but the last 2 seasons he has been our most consistent if not best player in my opinion. He’s been played out of position most that time. 

Howson could see everything in front of him as he was the last man.  He was just ball watching and we got done because of it.  Then people on this forum criticised our *** defence for the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BoroAbroad said:

I find this interesting. And I am wondering why it seems to have been somewhat overlooked?
This coupled with the Midfield stats show Howson to be our worst Midfield player. Yet a lot of folk seem to rave on about him?

I admit I have not had the opportunity to watch games this season so it is difficult to judge for myself. But looking at the stats I am wondering what the fixation with Howson is?

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself.  All I can think is that people are making allowances for him not being a defender and as such are then convincing themselves that his displays at the back have been better than they are and therefore that he is better than he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Anyone know if Browne is expected to come back and be part of the squad? I'm guessing Warnock won't have seen much of him. 

im sure he will be looked as hes pretty much our only winger atm, also he performed great again back at oxford. Also in Warnocks interview he talked about one of the main things he enjoys is making improving players, so i recon browne will fit in that description.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself.  All I can think is that people are making allowances for him not being a defender and as such are then convincing themselves that his displays at the back have been better than they are and therefore that he is better than he is.

I certainly categorise him as a huge disappointment. When we signed him he was coming with the reputation of being one of the best midfielders in the league - he had 3 full seasons in the Premier league as a regular starter, had a good goalscoring record at this level and was very well regarded by both Leeds and Norwich fans. 

But he's been bang average for us. Decent at times, certainly not our worst player but also never excelled like he did in previous teams. There are caveats - the quality of players around him, the managerial instability and quality etc. But it still doesn't distract from the fact that he's played below his ability for pretty much the entire time he's been here. 

However, he has shown that ability before on a long term, consistent basis which is why I'm happier to give him another chance under Warnock next season ahead of the likes of saville, mcnair and wing - despite the fact that he is 32 now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I certainly categorise him as a huge disappointment. When we signed him he was coming with the reputation of being one of the best midfielders in the league - he had 3 full seasons in the Premier league as a regular starter, had a good goalscoring record at this level and was very well regarded by both Leeds and Norwich fans. 

But he's been bang average for us. Decent at times, certainly not our worst player but also never excelled like he did in previous teams. There are caveats - the quality of players around him, the managerial instability and quality etc. But it still doesn't distract from the fact that he's played below his ability for pretty much the entire time he's been here. 

However, he has shown that ability before on a long term, consistent basis which is why I'm happier to give him another chance under Warnock next season ahead of the likes of saville, mcnair and wing - despite the fact that he is 32 now. 

We were supposed to be paying 6 million for Norwich's captain and player of the season who was in his last 12 months...

He sat down the whole Man city team with a weaving run and buried the finish! We have not seen him replicate anywhere near that form at any point since he joined he's had steady runs in midfield where he pings a few passes and presses around but Ritchie Smallwood could have done that for us he's one of the biggest disappointments of the past 3 years the conversion to RB bought him sympathy and appreciation for doing a job but we signed an attack minded central midfielder who could whip a set piece and we have ended up with an aged Adam Forshaw 'doing a job'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I certainly categorise him as a huge disappointment. When we signed him he was coming with the reputation of being one of the best midfielders in the league - he had 3 full seasons in the Premier league as a regular starter, had a good goalscoring record at this level and was very well regarded by both Leeds and Norwich fans. 

But he's been bang average for us. Decent at times, certainly not our worst player but also never excelled like he did in previous teams. There are caveats - the quality of players around him, the managerial instability and quality etc. But it still doesn't distract from the fact that he's played below his ability for pretty much the entire time he's been here. 

However, he has shown that ability before on a long term, consistent basis which is why I'm happier to give him another chance under Warnock next season ahead of the likes of saville, mcnair and wing - despite the fact that he is 32 now. 

Can't disagree with any of that, I certainly expected a lot more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

We were supposed to be paying 6 million for Norwich's captain and player of the season who was in his last 12 months...

He sat down the whole Man city team with a weaving run and buried the finish! We have not seen him replicate anywhere near that form at any point since he joined he's had steady runs in midfield where he pings a few passes and presses around but Ritchie Smallwood could have done that for us he's one of the biggest disappointments of the past 3 years the conversion to RB bought him sympathy and appreciation for doing a job but we signed an attack minded central midfielder who could whip a set piece and we have ended up with an aged Adam Forshaw 'doing a job'.

I totally agree I though he was a attacking goal scoring midfielder as at Norwich he scored goals like lewis wing but simply has never done this at boro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to Howson, managers have rarely played him in a position where he is going to get goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit concerned that Vickers has said on that Q&A that between Coulson, Friend and Johnson he thinks we’re covered at left back. I know they can all ‘do a job’ but surely we need someone?  

Hopefully just his own opinion 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tarmo said:

Bit concerned that Vickers has said on that Q&A that between Coulson, Friend and Johnson he thinks we’re covered at left back. I know they can all ‘do a job’ but surely we need someone?  

Hopefully just his own opinion 

Only one of them is a left back, and his legs have gone. The other two are more wing backs and too attacking to be effective as a fullback. 

Weren't we linked with Tyler Blackett? Isn't he a left back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He didn’t mention Bola. Reminds me of the match report in the Gazette after we were thrashed at Leeds. It said we were forced to play Bola (our actual signed LB) because none of our left sided players were available - Friend, Coulson or Johnson!! 

Edited by Skinemrippers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been many years now since players that we have signed have lived up to their billing. Before Howson arrived he averaged a goal every eight games, now its more than double that at something like a goal every seventeen games. Britt previously was rated as a great goalscorer but I doubt many of us would rate his stay as extraordinary.

Through the years and right through the team we have signed Players that have been disappointing, Downing as an example is being lauded as Blackburn's player of the season by their fans but we never saw anything that would have received that acclaim when he returned here. Aden Flint was a powerhouse CB, scoring goals as well yet bombed badly. Ryan Shotton with his long throws were supposed to lead to goals. Clayts was a goal scoring midfielder and thats before we delve into the obvious names who have really disappointed and who I won't repeat for fear of inducing extreme nausea.

There has been a systemic problem at Middlesbrough now for many years where prolific players at this level like Rhodes have seen their careers stall and  never recover. There are far too many now for it to be entirely the Players fault. That we have become the perennial worst scorers in this Championship is down to far more than just a few unlucky or bad signings. The performances out on the pitch are merely the tip of the iceberg, they are symptoms but not the causation. For every Adomah or Adama there have been far too many Boyd's, Gestede's and Guedioura's. That it is a recurring theme even with "proven" Championship Players has to be more than mere coincidence surely?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...