Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

Recommended Posts

It doesn't matter at all who we play up front if we don't add pace and creativity in midfield/out wide imo, the money has to go there surely 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't agree with what Gestede did / said. I half understand the logic of why he's asked for a 6 month extension should he get an injury - it's a protection policy. And I get why some of the other players elsewhere have refused to extend contracts, especially those who have their careers ahead of them and haven't had a stellar deal to date - a footballers career is short. But, end of the day, how much had the club already ploughed into Gestede's pocket - when he's either been unavailable or sh*te prior. He should have given something back to the club that has given him so much, even if that involved a 'risk'. I'd have more sympathy for his demands if he'd contributed ANYTHING previous.

Seriously, what an absolute c*nt.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

It doesn't matter at all who we play up front if we don't add pace and creativity in midfield/out wide imo, the money has to go there surely 

We need 2 wingers, a creative midfielder, an aerial striker, another CB and apparently a new GK but not a new LB that's the narrative you get from Vickers and co.

It's all speculation of course who knows what Warnock's targeting specifically but at LB unless he thinks he can turn Bola around I'm not convinced we even have a competent one between Friend and Coulson one gets rinsed by the slightest pace and trickery and the other gets bullied and climbed on.

We'll just have to wait and see but seeing us put in 2 million pound bids for Moore is a little strange when like you say we need width and pace. You look at Cardiff last year he cherry picked Whyte and Vaulks for nearly 4 million from League 1 the problem is there's only really 2 standout wingers in that league for me Ronan Curtis and Gooch so where he finds the pace we need without looking abroad I really don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

We need 2 wingers, a creative midfielder, an aerial striker, another CB and apparently a new GK but not a new LB that's the narrative you get from Vickers and co.

It's all speculation of course who knows what Warnock's targeting specifically but at LB unless he thinks he can turn Bola around I'm not convinced we even have a competent one between Friend and Coulson one gets rinsed by the slightest pace and trickery and the other gets bullied and climbed on.

We'll just have to wait and see but seeing us put in 2 million pound bids for Moore is a little strange when like you say we need width and pace. You look at Cardiff last year he cherry picked Whyte and Vaulks for nearly 4 million from League 1 the problem is there's only really 2 standout wingers in that league for me Ronan Curtis and Gooch so where he finds the pace we need without looking abroad I really don't know.

The gazette mentioned Coulson moving further forward, maybe they'll try and push that narrative if we fail to sign wingers, that Coulson is the next Ryan Giggs going forward or something

From League 1 I like Ronan Curtis and Kieran Sadlier, Sadlier's a free agent as well but realistically can't keep signing League One players and expect to challenge for play offs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Pears? Isn't he out of contract? Friend and Johnson offered new deals, others acknowledged as released. Yet no mention of Pears it seems. Odd.

Joe Hart anyone?

I have a feeling this is one of the PL standard signings Warnock would be keen to improve. Definitely worth a punt on a free imo. And if there were goings-on behind the scenes, would make a little sense as to why Pears (fall-back?) isn't mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2plus2 said:

What about Pears? Isn't he out of contract? Friend and Johnson offered new deals, others acknowledged as released. Yet no mention of Pears it seems. Odd.

Joe Hart anyone?

I have a feeling this is one of the PL standard signings Warnock would be keen to improve. Definitely worth a punt on a free imo.

Pears is entering the final year of his contract I think I read on the Gazette.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Pears is entering the final year of his contract I think I read on the Gazette.

You could be right. Though just found this from a few months back.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbrough-boss-jonathan-woodgate-provides-aynsley-pears-contract-update-after-impressive-leeds-united-display-2004029

So, unless already activated, Boro have the option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

The gazette mentioned Coulson moving further forward, maybe they'll try and push that narrative if we fail to sign wingers, that Coulson is the next Ryan Giggs going forward or something

From League 1 I like Ronan Curtis and Kieran Sadlier, Sadlier's a free agent as well but realistically can't keep signing League One players and expect to challenge for play offs

I think we can do with plucking 1 or 2 of the 'best in position' players from League 1 and Curtis would fit that bill but he has a 2 million pricetag if we were iffy paying similar last summer for Lowe I imagine we'll be reluctant again.

The problem we have is even if we sell a player or two I don't want us spending 5 million + on a player especially from the league we're in so you get to a point where you struggle to see where we can sign all these players for a reasonable price once the free agents run out and Warnock wont be loaning any Prem kids you suspect so it's tough to picture where we find these players especially if we end up really far down Warnock's list.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/18626948.middlesbrough-boss-neil-warnock-hoping-make-signing-week/

The Echo say Warnocks put an offer on the table for Charlie Goode and is in talks with 2-3 attacking targets but as of now we don't know who they are they are apparently 'key targets' but if these mystery deals fall off where's the next tier that's what I worry about.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-qpr-close-to-beating-middlesbrough-to-1m-signing-of-25-yr-old/

Goode's apparently fell off and if not him or Gibson then where's the next CB coming from that's my worry.

Edited by Jamie-H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone hear Warnocks interview on bbc tees earlier. Said he expects decisipn by George and Marv within a week. Added he would love George to stay but what George needs to weigh up is whether he happy to be a squad player at a club he been at a long time at or he want to go somewhere new where he might be guaranteed more game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to be looking at European leagues for the bargains. Its about time we had some foreign flair back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheJew said:

We need to be looking at European leagues for the bargains. Its about time we had some foreign flair back.

Not gunna happen.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

The gazette mentioned Coulson moving further forward, maybe they'll try and push that narrative if we fail to sign wingers, that Coulson is the next Ryan Giggs going forward or something

From League 1 I like Ronan Curtis and Kieran Sadlier, Sadlier's a free agent as well but realistically can't keep signing League One players and expect to challenge for play offs

Well Gareth Bale was a left-back at the start of his Tottenham career - maybe Coulson could play LW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo The problem Coulson has is that he is poor defensively and always seems to get caught out..  And I don't think he is good enough attacking to be am out an out winger. He looks great going forward from deep. I reckon his best position would be LWB but that's only if we play with 5 at the back which I can't see us doing on a regular basis. Hopefully he is working on his defending because if he sorts that out he could be a top player. But if he sees himself as a winger I can't see him lasting very long at this level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

Well Gareth Bale was a left-back at the start of his Tottenham career - maybe Coulson could play LW.

We've seen him play Left wing vs Hull - one of our worst performances this season going forward I'd say 

We need out and out wingers that get defenders running back to their own goal, we've been a delight to defend against since Traore left, one paced, predictable and no cutting edge 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Still depends on what you're looking for. I'd say some of the bigger ones include: World of Warcraft Guild Wars 2 The Elder Scrolls Online Final Fantasy XIV EVE Online Runescape Black Desert Online. There's a new one coming in early 2021 that looks quite interesting called New World.  
    • i said it last season, the kids will keep improving and be even better as time goes on. thats what we see now. some of the football today was nice and need fast football. players involved were the young lads and bola. they know eachothers game they are pretty familiar and now the confidence is coming for them we are seeing them express themselves. the shackles are coming off and the young lads are starting to show us what they can do. give it a few months if this form keeps up these kids will be flyin and the goals will be flowing. lot more to come from us yet. well done NW you can see they all love him he's like a grandad figure to them never mind a father figure. he'll give them the love and build their confidence and we'll keep seeing the results of that in their performances, UTB.
    • NW says he has been training at Rockcliffe for the last couple of weeks so his knee must be ok now. NW wants to get him so who would argue with his judgement? Not me.
    • I can't believe it was 5 years ago when I posted this.  Are there any good new ones out that people know about?
    • Yeah I thought he had a bit of promise a few years back.  Terrible luck with the injuries, like a few of our lot a while back - McMahon and Bates in particular.
×
×
  • Create New...