oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

16 minutes ago, Raf smog said:

Roberts still at target but want to wait until after champions league. 

Sounds like I was right with that being my suggestion for who our top target is, Warnock said we have to wait til the 24th and the final for it is the 23rd. So the sooner City get knocked out, the better, I guess.

• Like 1

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-transfer-morgan-fox-4405233

Cross Morgan Fox off the list if he was ever on it.

Here's the thing with Amos all signs point to it being obvious he goes to QPR he got plenty of gametime there last season, he lives in London so wouldn't have to move and Warburton believes in him. So I'm a little surprised Warnock's even trying to get him maybe he just thinks for the price it can't harm to try but it just seems like he'd obviously choose QPR to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Sounds like I was right with that being my suggestion for who our top target is, Warnock said we have to wait til the 24th and the final for it is the 23rd. So the sooner City get knocked out, the better, I guess.

Is Roberts part of their squad for the Champions League?  I assumed he wasn't so it would therefore be irrelevant to him?

10 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-transfer-morgan-fox-4405233

Cross Morgan Fox off the list if he was ever on it.

Here's the thing with Amos all signs point to it being obvious he goes to QPR he got plenty of gametime there last season, he lives in London so wouldn't have to move and Warburton believes in him. So I'm a little surprised Warnock's even trying to get him maybe he just thinks for the price it can't harm to try but it just seems like he'd obviously choose QPR to me.

i agree, cant see him coming to boro, would be some coup if we could get a london lad to leave and move to Middlesbrough. The only way its possible is if hes motivated  by money and we offer more, but i dont think were in position to do that as looks like QPR will have some funds after their sale Eze which it seems will be around 20 mil.

Yeah I'm not sure what the relevance of the champions league final would be on Roberts- theres no chance he will be involved in city's squad next season and they have been doing plenty of other business so its not like they're hanging around.

• Like 2

Maybe there's a chance Guardiola will be on his way if they don't win the CL?

I can't imagine any incoming manager at Man City would want Roberts, but anyone coming in may want to assess their squad. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Maybe there's a chance Guardiola will be on his way if they don't win the CL?

I can't imagine any incoming manager at Man City would want Roberts, but anyone coming in may want to assess their squad. 

I mean its possible. But the same logic would apply to new signings if that was the case - spending 40/50mil on players that might not fit into a new managers system?

• Like 2

It could be Roberts wanting to discuss his future at the club before he makes any decisions I suppose.  At some point he's probably going to want to leave permanently rather than just going out on loan all of the time.

10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It could be Roberts wanting to discuss his future at the club before he makes any decisions I suppose.  At some point he's probably going to want to leave permanently rather than just going out on loan all of the time.

I feel if we get Roberts back and it probably will be a big if then we will have a farbetter player on our books than last season.

We know that he is far too selfish at times but Warnock could be very good for him in terms of his overall game and contibutions

32 minutes ago, Adamjr9 said:

Hes not...

I guess they just want to focus on the champions league before deal with out goings?

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027131--man-city-vs-real-madrid/lineups/

It doesn't make any sense to me that they want to concentrate on the Champions League before releasing people, as they have just signed 2 players [Ake and Torres] for about £60m.  They will almost certainly be part of the 25-man squad next season, further pushing Roberts out of the picture.  Why can they concentrate on incomings but not outgoings of peripheral figures?

Could it be another team and another reason to wait until the 25th?

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That's pretty much what I was getting at, yes. I didn't mean to say he was going to be involved with their squad as I'm pretty sure he couldn't be even if they could register more players for it, given he's played for Norwich and us already this season.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest City might want to discuss his future with him or perhaps vice versa after the season has completely finished so all relevant people can be involved.

1 minute ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

It doesn't make any sense to me that they want to concentrate on the Champions League before releasing people, as they have just signed 2 players [Ake and Torres] for about £60m.  They will almost certainly be part of the 25-man squad next season, further pushing Roberts out of the picture.  Why can they concentrate on incomings but not outgoings of peripheral figures?

Could it be another team and another reason to wait until the 25th?

It's not like this is unheard of in football, a team waiting until the end of a season to discuss a situation with a player. Just because City have this big group of people who deal with recruitment and sales doesn't deny Roberts the time to sit down with his manager. After all, they have only sold Sane so far this summer and that was after 2 years of contract talks that came down to Guardiola publicly saying he wanted to leave back in June, before Bayern got him.

I suspect that when the decision is made regarding Roberts, the move will be finalised pretty quickly, regardless of where he ends up. But that they're probably only focused on first-team matters right now.

I'm guessing Gibson, Roberts, a GK and a left back would be top of list for us would they not?

It's going to be a long window with lots of near misses and surprises I would guess.

Perfect scenario window for me would be 

In

Hart

Gibbo

Friend renews

Blackett

Hall

CDM enforcer (Mokotjo from Brentford?)

Roberts

Gnanduillet or Chris Martin

LW who's comfortable as #10 Fabio Borini's contracts expiring 😄 

Out

Saville or McNair 

Britt if someone willing to pay instead of losing on a free, if he goes funds Kieffer Moore or someone

• Confused 1

I wouldn't mind us going for;

- Jacob Brown from Barnsley

- Cedric Kipre and Joe Williams from Wigan

- MaCauley Bonne from Charlton

All fairly young too. I can't see them being worth that much although I imagine Brown at Barnsley will have interest from Championship clubs and Kipre I think West Ham were linked with.