oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 hours ago, Uwe said:

The thing about McNair for me anyway I never thought “yes” (fist pump) he’s starting. The same could be said about all our midfield. So for me everyone is up for sale not saying sell everyone as we need to build a team around a core but no one stands out as a ‘must stay’ person

Competely agree with you there and as far as Wing is concerned we have seen his deteration showing game by game.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I never said there couldn't be improvement, but I think we have massive problems that require dealing with 1st as a priority over midfield.

I think playing Howson RB, Johnson LB, Friend CB (playing players out of position) is what has left us exposed.

We lose games as a team and you cant just pinpoint the midfield. Some of the goals we have conceded this season has nothing to do with our midfield and it's the team as a whole.

Take Cardiff game as example 

1st goal - free header - not midfield problem

2nd goal - Was the biggest embarrassment you could conceded from your own attacking free kick. Basics and not midfield problem.

This has been the case all season so to blame it just on the midfield is incredibly naive as its more or less the whole team who has underperformed.

Keeper - We need a commanding keeper and good shot stopper

X2 full backs

X2 Centre backs

X2 Widemen

X1 Striker

Saville, Howson, McNair, Wing

Digger I don't just blame the midfield as the whole squad are dysfunctional. To my eyes if you add a completely new forward line with these 3 behind we will still be dysfunctional. If you add a completely new defence with these in front the defence will still get exposed. As I said in a previous reply I do not see this 3 as part of any solution going forward. 

Personally I think we need to build a squad around a core of Pears, Stojanovic, Djiksteel, Spence, Fry, Coulson, Saville, Wing, Tavernier and Fletcher.

Plus we have Browne to come back into the fold, who obviously has potential.

And we also have Bola, who shouldn't be written off just yet, but there are definitely questions marks over him. The fact that he went back to Blackpool and couldn't force his way back into the team is worrying.

6 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Personally I think we need to build a squad around a core of Pears, Stojanovic, Djiksteel, Spence, Fry, Coulson, Saville, Wing, Tavernier and Fletcher.

Plus we have Browne to come back into the fold, who obviously has potential.

And we also have Bola, who shouldn't be written off just yet, but there are definitely questions marks over him. The fact that he went back to Blackpool and couldn't force his way back into the team is worrying.

Don’t think adding one more player constitutes ‘building a team around’ 😉

3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

In 2020 before Warnock, please tell me any Boro players other than possibly Howson that could come out with any sort of plaudits? The whole team has been shocking and results show that.

Howson, McNair and Fletcher are the only players that have had a good season in my eyes, we should be using them as foundations and building round those sort of players and not selling them.

Spence, yes people get a little bit excited because he has a bit of pace and is direct, but he's a RB that can't defend. We have moved him forward and tell me what he's offered in a more advanced role? £10million, I'd snap anyone's hand off for that sort of money.

Not many. Saville is one of them though, he's one of few that actually looked capable against Premier League opposition too, which is saying something considering how useless he was for the previous ~18 months.

Spence, yes. Especially considering what we were expecting from a young lad thrown into the fray from nowhere because of injuries. He's made himself a first team squad player. It isn't consistent but the lad has beat a few men going forward on the right flank too, the reason we don't tend to remember it is his final ball and decision making isn't really there yet. For his level of experience, he's given a good output on that front. Yeah I'd prefer him in defence or wing back, as with the next lad, but he's done okay further forward.

Coulson has probably been one of the standout players of the season too. Full blooded, committed, also got a trick or two in him. The lad has rarely struggled to get a cross in when faced with defenders in front of him, again considering his experience, he's been terrific since pre-season.

Fletcher, I think he's been hit and miss at times but generally speaking I at least can see him in the team in an attacking sense and understand what he's going to bring. He's started scoring goals most importantly, a decent return from him this season.

I like Howson but he's not been as good in defence in 2020. Since he's been moved to midfield however, really good at mopping things up.

As for McNair, I think he's been wholly inconsistent since moving back into midfield after being forced to play sweeper. He's got a decent set piece and a shot on him but we've not seen the best of that often enough given how often he's had the chance to do that. I'm not desperate to sell him but I wouldn't miss him either.

It would be nice if we could get somebody who could take a corner. Mind you we need a full team that know how to attack and defend a set piece.

For all the limitations Dimi had I wasn't nervous whenever we had to defend a set piece as on a lot of occasions he would claim it or his defence dealt with it. Right now I have little faith we are capable of defending them. 

Perhaps its the lack of faith in our attacking set pieces we do those pointless short corners in games.

I really thought there would be very little cash floating about at championship level this summer, but the Yorkshire post are reporting a championship club has bid £15m for Karlan Grant from Huddersfield. Wonder which team that is?

6 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

Listen there's definitely sales we can and need to push like McNair I'm fully on board with selling players to increase the budget but Warnock got promoted on a total spend of 11 million and 6 of that was on Gary Madine!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

Cardiff's squad is the perfect example that for all the talk every year about how much harder the Championship is and how you need 7/8/9/10 million pound players to get out of it with the right mix of Championship/League 1/SPL signings you can easily build a competitive *ithouse team. I'd venture a guess Warnock will get full backing especially if we sell on McNair and Britt he needs numbers like he needed at Cardiff so he knows he can't throw more than a couple million on 1 player which I've always advocated for.

We'll see but I'm optimistic, Warnock's already talking about needing new players in by the start of PRE SEASON yet alone start of next season I don't get the sense he'll be waiting around till deadline day like Pulis so there's a glimmer in this horrible season for me that we might be set for an actually good summer window under him but I'll shut up because I don't want to jinx it.

The player wage bill there increased from £20m to £31m in the season they got promoted.  The total transfer spend is low because they were signing expensive players in terms of their wages.  The none player related wages went up by £12m as well, which seems like a lot to me, so I'd have to assume that Warnock and his team are part of that figure.  In total they were paying £43m in wages and salaries and another £5m in social security costs for a total of £48m.  By comparison, last season, our total wage spending was £35.5m and social security costs of £4.4m for a total of £40m.  Our accounts don't give a separate figure for player related wages like Cardiff's do but that entire £35m includes all of our players, coaches and other members of staff throughout the entire business.

All of that is a roundabout way of showing that Warnock didn't do things on any kind of budget at Cardiff.  He almost certainly had a larger budget than we did last season, when we were having to make lots of cuts, and couldn't really afford the wage bill that we had then.  This has now been cut even further as well.

22 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I really thought there would be very little cash floating about at championship level this summer, but the Yorkshire post are reporting a championship club has bid £15m for Karlan Grant from Huddersfield. Wonder which team that is?

Derby 🙃

Cos they've already sold their ground, they got the money by selling the Riverside on the basis that it looks a bit like theirs does 🤭 

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Derby 🙃

Cos they've already sold their ground, they got the money by selling the Riverside on the basis that it looks a bit like theirs does 🤭 

Gordon Bennett, Barnsley will have a hissy fit if that were true 😳

dont understand the praise for mcnair, IMO he hasnt done anything of note at the club and his attitude it terrible. He's just like Britt in that you can tell form their body language they dont care and they dont want to be here. the red card the game before Christmas sealed my opinion of him as it was clear he got sent of intentionally to get a nice break over Christmas.  If we can get our money back i think the club should take it.
Also if hes the top target of stoke as claimed its likley we go do a reverse saville and charge them 8-10 mil for the privilege.   

5 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

In 2020 before Warnock, please tell me any Boro players other than possibly Howson that could come out with any sort of plaudits? The whole team has been shocking and results show that.

Howson, McNair and Fletcher are the only players that have had a good season in my eyes, we should be using them as foundations and building round those sort of players and not selling them.

Spence, yes people get a little bit excited because he has a bit of pace and is direct, but he's a RB that can't defend. We have moved him forward and tell me what he's offered in a more advanced role? £10million, I'd snap anyone's hand off for that sort of money.

Tavernier maybe?

Howson can't defend either but you're talking him up for some reason 🙂 

Spence can defend.  Every time he gets caught out (cos he is young) people highlight it, but those same people are strangely silent when Howson is giving goals away through poor defending.  I'm struggling to think of a goal that we've conceded that Spence was directly responsible for but I can think of a few from Howson.  What happens is that people 'know' that young players make mistakes and can't be relied upon whilst experienced players can be relied upon, well, cos they are experienced and older and all that.  So that's what people see whether it's really happening or not.  

Yesterday is a great case in point of something similar.  Our defenders are all rubbish and don't care apparently.  We concede the second goal and the match day thread is full of people having a go at the defenders.  Who was the last man back?  It was Howson.  Where were our defenders?  They were up for the freekick (barring Dijksteel).  Whose fault is it?  Our defenders 😀

As for McNair, he was decent over the first few months but no more than that.  Defensively he didn't give enough but he looked like one of the few who could make something happen going forwards.  He's a strange one though, despite the fact that he has played at the back, when he plays in midfield he seems to forget some of the defensive responsibilities, but it may be that he was being asked to be more attack minded of course. 

£17m spent on Howson, McNair and Saville is an awful lot of money on players who only play well in patches.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

£17m spent on Howson, McNair and Saville is an awful lot of money on players who only play well in patches.

Christ don't say that! Depressed at the state of our recruitment team as it is 

Wolves got Ruben Neves for £16m he alone would run rings round the 3 of them 

4 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Christ don't say that! Depressed at the state of our recruitment team as it is 

Wolves got Ruben Neves for £16m he alone would run rings round the 3 of them 

cant really compare ourselves with wolves who are part owned by an agent who was able to influence quality players to move there. 

(EDIT) not part owned by has shared business interests with the owner, is good friend with espirito santo and is acting as a transfer adviser to the club. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)