oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

And yet since Karanka has gone, we have nosedived beyond all recognition.

There were clashes behind the scenes, but to put the blame at one person wouldn't be accurate. Especially as most of the problems have remained.

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, PsychFur said:

In my opinion Aitor was 'working his ticket' during that January transfer window. It was if he was actually begging to be sacked. If you recall he had a go at the fans after the West Ham home game, he publicly criticised the physiotherapy team, he lashed out at the recruitment team and the club for not getting the signings he'd been asking for 'since one and a half months ago' (his words).

In a tv interview after his departure Steve Gibson remarked it was a relief to Aitor and he'd been put out of his misery (or words to that effect).

The prospect of him seeing out the season with relegation then bouncing us back at the first time of asking is for the birds.

I think lashing out at the recruitment team is completely understandable. They let him down, and subsequently have royally messed up every window since.

Ref the physio team, there have been issues here between the players and team for a while. Ayala being the prime example.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TheJew said:

There were clashes behind the scenes, but to put the blame at one person wouldn't be accurate. Especially as most of the problems have remained.

You do realise that we were nosediving before the left?  It started while he was here, I think that's the relevant point.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

You do realise that we were nosediving before the left?  It started while he was here, I think that's the relevant point.

No. When he left we were above the relegation zone.

Had we strengthened in January we might have stayed up.

The relevant point is it is once again the internal gubbins of the club that cocked up.

Not backing a manager in January When outside of the relegation zone. Check.

Firing a manager who had taken us to the Premiership with a proven Championship record after not backing in January. Check.

Believing a word Gibbo says? Check.

Karanka didn't start the nosedive. Nor was he responsible for it. Karanka is a scapegoat, as the years since his departure have proven.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, PsychFur said:

In my opinion Aitor was 'working his ticket' during that January transfer window. It was if he was actually begging to be sacked. If you recall he had a go at the fans after the West Ham home game, he publicly criticised the physiotherapy team, he lashed out at the recruitment team and the club for not getting the signings he'd been asking for 'since one and a half months ago' (his words).

In a tv interview after his departure Steve Gibson remarked it was a relief to Aitor and he'd been put out of his misery (or words to that effect).

The prospect of him seeing out the season with relegation then bouncing us back at the first time of asking is for the birds.

Yep. We were much better off with Monk, Pulis and Woodgate at the helm.

1 hour ago, scotty189 said:

Can anyone give me an update please, what's latest with Kevin Stewart, and didn't someone mention the club were trying to get another over the line before the trip to Cornwall? 

He was close to signing; got another offer and has gone to speak to them. Club appear to be bungling another one.

8 minutes ago, TheJew said:

No. When he left we were above the relegation zone.

Had we strengthened in January we might have stayed up.

The relevant point is it is once again the internal gubbins of the club that cocked up.

Not backing a manager in January When outside of the relegation zone. Check.

Firing a manager who had taken us to the Premiership with a proven Championship record after not backing in January. Check.

Believing a word Gibbo says? Check.

Karanka didn't start the nosedive. Nor was he responsible for it. Karanka is a scapegoat, as the years since his departure have proven.

We were 3 points adrift and hadn't won a game in 3 months

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Yep. We were much better off with Monk, Pulis and Woodgate at the helm.

His position was simply untenable. His criticism of the fans, the staff and the club were all carried in public which was unprofessional and unacceptable. Nobody knew who would go on to manage the team after he left so I'm not exactly sure why you are referencing his successors in an attempt to determine who we would have been better off with. Some of my best times following the team in recent years were when Aitor was at the helm and we've had nobody better since. That doesn't mean to say that it wasn't right to let him go at that time.

• Like 2
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

We were 3 points adrift and hadn't won a game in 3 months

Apologies. But it doesn't change the main point...

Recruitment in January, not backing the manager. 

Replacing with Agnew (or anyone) post Jan when we had a manager with a quite exceptional record in the Championship.

Just now, PsychFur said:

His position was simply untenable. His criticism of the fans, the staff and the club were all carried in public which was unprofessional and unacceptable. Nobody knew who would go on to manage the team after he left so I'm not exactly sure why you are referencing his successors in an attempt to determine who we would have been better off with. Some of my best times following the team in recent years were when Aitor was at the helm and we've had nobody better since. That doesn't mean to say that it wasn't right to let him go at that time.

but surely our post Karanka era shows it wasnt the right decision.

• Like 1

In the Premiership Karanka was more concerned with not losing than winning and consequently gaining points in the Premiership. The draws were looking ominous in our fight for survival and the fans were growing restless. The West Ham Home game at the Riverside was the tipping point for the fans, myself included. 

The break down pre Charlton seems to be have been as a result of internal cliques who believed they were more important than the Manager and had the Chairman's ear. That was an unhealthy backdrop for any business and totally unprofessional. The January Transfer was a cluster#### of the highest order not to mention an amateurish total waste of money. Come February I wanted a change in management as things were clearly not working. Like as not they weren't working because of a combination of Charltongate, the influx of Iberian washed up mercenaries in the Summer and of course Teesside nepotism. Never in a million years did I consider or want Agnew, that he was the go to choice of the Chairman maybe tells us more tales of what was going on behind the scenes. 

With the benefit of hindsight Karanka should have been backed 100% and given the opportunity to go again in the Championship without any "gifts" and interference from people in the Club whose Football knowledge was less than something Aitor would scrape from the sole of his shoes. Subsequent decisions and outcomes would seem to indicate that in the myriad of all our problems Karanka was seemingly the least of them and those who still remain in Office or who have since departed have been consistent in our decline.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, TheJew said:

but surely our post Karanka era shows it wasnt the right decision.

Its all part of the one decision. We could have sacked karanka and put someone better in charge, making it the correct decision. As it happened we sacked karanka and put worse in charge with no plan on how to get back to the  same level. So it's the wrong decision no matter how you look at it.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, TheJew said:

The problems of people clashing behind the scenes have remained? That's rubbish, isn't it?

Just because every big decision we've made since Karanka left have been mistakes does not mean the club sacking him was a mistake. With all the hindsight we have of the situation now, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can possibly think a man who had broken down pretty much every relationship within and outside the club that he could have could possibly have gone into that summer and rejuvenated the squad and turned the ship around.

Karanka had to go. Agnew, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate, they have absolutely sod all to do with why it was the right decision to sack him.

• Like 5
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)