oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

9 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Is Sanogo worse value for money than Gestede or Nmecha?

Neither of the latter two proved to be of value contributing very little. I have no idea how much of Nmecha's salary we were paying but it didn't bear much fruit. I won't even pass comment on the other "Striker". Its one injury prone French Striker out and another injury prone French Striker in but at a hugely reduced cost which in the current climate makes a lot of sense.

At 27 he may have a resale value at some future point with the potential that like Britt and Fletcher Warnock might be able to restore his mojo. If he arrives at least we know it won't be because of grossly overpaying for him.

I feel like, even given how poor we were last season, we shouldn't be judging players on whether they are worse value for money than Gestede and Nmecha.  That seems like a fairly low bar to set in my opinion.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You literally said:

If that's not blaming Fletcher for us not scoring goals, I honestly don't know what is.

Are you bored? Picking out a sentence out of the 3 or 4 replies I have made to base your argument  on. I have replied to you a couple of times and mentioned Britt and the midfield. Denial again? Or maybe just forgetful.

17 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Tbf playing 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 with 4/5 Centre Midfielders in the same starting 11 is a close as you can get to putting 11 men on the line 

he got us to 5th and 7th in the league with those tactics, the man is a genius

Looking at Sanogo's time in the french league for Toulouse: 12 goals in 3664 minutes, Fletcher last season was 11 goals in 3224 minutes (with 7 assists) then Braithwaite at Toulouse in his last season there 11 goals in 2948 minutes. We paid what 7m for Fletcher and 9m for Braithwaite? I think his record is decent enough not to write him off, even if he comes in as third choice on a manageable contract I think it'd be good business given our circumstances, we really need senior players in for the squad.

Who knows if he's given an extended run in a team he might surprise a few and he's different to the weapons we've currently got available.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Are you bored? Picking out a sentence out of the 3 or 4 replies I have made to base your argument  on. I have replied to you a couple of times and mentioned Britt and the midfield. Denial again? Or maybe just forgetful.

No, I've just pointed out you've blamed Fletcher for our attacking problems for the entire season. I responded to everything else you put point-by-point then I've responded to your next point essentially saying Fletcher is responsible for our lack of goals. What you've said before that is completely irrelevant to the line I've responded to.

And to think you're sat here thinking I'm in denial, crikey. 

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

he got us to 5th and 7th in the league with those tactics, the man is a genius

Jesus christ man, is this the footballing version of Stockholm syndrome?!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I feel like, even given how poor we were last season, we shouldn't be judging players on whether they are worse value for money than Gestede and Nmecha.  That seems like a fairly low bar to set in my opinion.

My companies health and safety record has been examplary since we started using Chernobyl as our barometer

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

No, I've just pointed out you've blamed Fletcher for our attacking problems for the entire season. I responded to everything else you put point-by-point then I've responded to your next point essentially saying Fletcher is responsible for our lack of goals. What you've said before that is completely irrelevant to the line I've responded to.

And to think you're sat here thinking I'm in denial, crikey. 

So I havent mentioned the midfield or Britt? Dear me.

The Sanogo link is a funny one.  He's big, which is the only thing that Warnock is concerned about quite clearly, so the reasoning for signing him is obvious.  But he's never really done it anywhere, other than when he was a kid basically, and he's played fewer than 100 games at the age of 27.  Looks like one of those prospects who was good when he was younger, didn't develop much further than that but his career continues on because there are always people out there willing to sign a big bloke or who look at him and think there's a player in there somewhere, even if that player rarely seems to surface.  I doubt he's coming cheap in terms of his wages.  If we get him on a long enough contract he could be a direct replacement for Gestede, in just about every possible way 😓

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

The Sanogo link is a funny one.  He's big, which is the only thing that Warnock is concerned about quite clearly, so the reasoning for signing him is obvious.  But he's never really done it anywhere, other than when he was a kid basically, and he's played fewer than 100 games at the age of 27.  Looks like one of those prospects who was good when he was younger, didn't develop much further than that but his career continues on because there are always people out there willing to sign a big bloke or who look at him and think there's a player in there somewhere, even if that player rarely seems to surface.  I doubt he's coming cheap in terms of his wages.  If we get him on a long enough contract he could be a direct replacement for Gestede, in just about every possible way 😓

The way the market is I don’t think players out of contracts can demand big wages. I’ve seen quite a lot of players out of contract saying it’s not easy especially when you are just another run of the mill footballer who doesn’t stand out. I certainly don’t think he’s going to get an increase on his last contract and I doubt that was a big one. If we offer more than 10k I’d be surprised. And with his injury record we need to make it performance based. 

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

The way the market is I don’t think players out of contracts can demand big wages. I’ve seen quite a lot of players out of contract saying it’s not easy especially when you are just another run of the mill footballer who doesn’t stand out. I certainly don’t think he’s going to get an increase on his last contract and I doubt that was a big one. If we offer more than 10k I’d be surprised. And with his injury record we need to make it performance based. 

I bet he was on upwards of 20k per week.  He won't have been cheap.

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sounds like a cross between Gestede and Aliadiere.

• Like 1

Given the Gazette's insistence all along that Moore, Dykes etc. weren't our main targets, and the apparent large amount of interest in Sanogo, do we think he was our number 1 target all along?