oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Why is it bizarre? you targetted Gibson and questioned his man of the people tag (which is hardly self proclaimed) and showed nuance whatsoever.

I didnt see any balance of the MFC Foundation and they have done over however many years and particularly during the pandemic or comparisons with the amount of redundancies across the game and in other businesses in the hospitality industry. The net gain from Steve Gibson saving our club in 1986 at least deserves a little bit of consideration

Bizarre insofar as you implied I must have done more for the community than Steve Gibson to be able to make a moral judgement on one of his decisions. Surprisingly, as a 21 year old student, I’ve struggled to achieve quite as much as a 60 year old multimillionaire who’s owned the town’s football club for 30+ years. 

Here’s Steve Gibson’s endorsement of James Wharton in 2017:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/steve-gibson-publicly-declares-support-13029916.amp

If that’s not a self proclamation of his man of the people persona then I’m not quite sure what is. 

You’re right, my original post didn’t acknowledge Gibson’s work in the community. Nor was it designed to, as I said in my last post it was simply a tongue in cheek comment. However, I hope you now see that I do in fact appreciate that Gibson has made significant gains for the Teesside community (even if some of his actions frustrate me and I think he’s capable of more).

10 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Bizarre insofar as you implied I must have done more for the community than Steve Gibson to be able to make a moral judgement on one of his decisions. Surprisingly, as a 21 year old student, I’ve struggled to achieve quite as much as a 60 year old multimillionaire who’s owned the town’s football club for 30+ years. 

Here’s Steve Gibson’s endorsement of James Wharton in 2017:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/steve-gibson-publicly-declares-support-13029916.amp

If that’s not a self proclamation of his man of the people persona then I’m not quite sure what is. 

You’re right, my original post didn’t acknowledge Gibson’s work in the community. Nor was it designed to, as I said in my last post it was simply a tongue in cheek comment. However, I hope you now see that I do in fact appreciate that Gibson has made significant gains for the Teesside community (even if some of his actions frustrate me and I think he’s capable of more).

I think his actions at times frustrate us all, particularly his support of James Wharton but there is no doubt he deserves a certain amount of respect in the community and fair enough it was tongue in cheek but I know first hand how much MFC Foundation do for this area and we would be an awful lot worse off if we didnt have it.

Apologies for taking things a bit too literal but Gibson has got quite a lot of character assassinations in recent years, both wrongly and rightly.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I think his actions at times frustrate us all, particularly his support of James Wharton but there is no doubt he deserves a certain amount of respect in the community and fair enough it was tongue in cheek but I know first hand how much MFC Foundation do for this area and we would be an awful lot worse off if we didnt have it.

Apologies for being a bit too literal but Gibson has got quite a lot of character assassinations in recent years, both wrongly and rightly.

I completely agree. As I say, nuance is important - perhaps an internet forum isn't the best medium to always get that nuance across. The difficulty of nuance is especially apparent with a figure like Gibson who, in my opinion, has a complex relationship with the Teesside community (which is inevitable given how significant he has been here for well over three decades).

I think @ErimusFootball's recent article on Gibson is a really good example of capturing the nuance of Gibson from a footballing perspective. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

I completely agree. As I say, nuance is important - perhaps an internet forum isn't the best medium to always get that nuance across. The difficulty of nuance is especially apparent with a figure like Gibson who, in my opinion, has a complex relationship with the Teesside community (which is inevitable given how significant he has been here for well over three decades).

I think @ErimusFootball's recent article on Gibson is a really good example of capturing the nuance of Gibson from a footballing perspective. 

I will look it up 👍

1 hour ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Did you see what happened at Malaga? they cut 10 first team players and the rest asked to take 80% wage cuts

malaga

To be fair to Malaga, they have been in financial trouble for what feels like forever. The pandemic has probably just hugely exascerbated things.

• Like 2

Bit of a random one this but does anyone have access to the dundee united supporters Facebook group "arabs anonymous"?

APPARENTLY the itk on there reckons we've bidded/ are signing lawrence shankland but I can't get access.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I would love to know what you do in the community to feel you have a moral highground over Steve Gibson?

I can't speak for RealSlimShadey but I am a super nice person to one and all.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

As you say though, thats football. If we dont pay wages, we dont compete and the club shrinks further in terms of the jobs that can be offered to the community. I would love to see a big change in how football clubs are ran but it seems like its a long way off in this country, especially in the top two divisions. 

Arsenal made 55 members of staff reduantant whilst having 100 million pound player wage bill

To be fair, Arsenal are owned by a *** though.  

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)