oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Don't forget Nathan Wood. Very young for a CB, but as the 4th option he could save us another wage for sure. Would work well in a 3 man back-line as it'd take some of the strain from him. 

Stubbs looks a solid option too. Bring in 2 CBs, one a seasoned leader, and I reckon we'll have enough options there. Especially in Gorgeous George is still around as a squad player.

Stephen Walker had a good loan spell at Crewe too. Could play on the right side of a front 3, but maybe not as suited in a 3 behind the lone striker. 

All this points to us having different systems according to opposition/availability, if Warnock is boss at least.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Don't forget Nathan Wood. Very young for a CB, but as the 4th option he could save us another wage for sure. Would work well in a 3 man back-line as it'd take some of the strain from him. 

Stubbs looks a solid option too. Bring in 2 CBs, one a seasoned leader, and I reckon we'll have enough options there. Especially in Gorgeous George is still around as a squad player.

Stephen Walker had a good loan spell at Crewe too. Could play on the right side of a front 3, but maybe not as suited in a 3 behind the lone striker. 

All this points to us having different systems according to opposition/availability, if Warnock is boss at least.

In an ideal world all 3 of the above mentioned should be out on loan next season and not forming part of our squad if we are serious about a promotion push.

I would rather friend was the 4th choice CB and Wood went out on loan for a season given he now 18 years of age and now needs to get experience. Same applies to Stubbs and Walker. They need to go make an impression at league 1 clubs ideally imo.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Grant Hall for Fry, Kiefer Moore for Assombalonga, and Chris Gunter for Spence  

This has to be one of the most depressing things I think I’ve ever read on here. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I want to see us invest some money into creativity this time round. Tomlin or Ramirez were our last out and out creative links in the team and I think that’s when we had some real successes. Tav I think can get there in the future, but we need ready made quality now. 

For all the possession we had last season, the link between Midfield and the attack was one which was missing the most. If we give Britt and Fletcher some reliable service, we will be better off for sure. 

My top 3 list would be...

Luke Freeman. 
Bradley Dack. 
Lee Tomlin.

Probably have to spend to get them, but I feel this is an area we should be looking at. Saville, Howson and McNair are similar midfielders. Wing doesn’t really fit a CDM or CAM for me, kind of both but not effective in either. 

Id like to see Tav used more in that CAM role, but not on his own.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

In an ideal world all 3 of the above mentioned should be out on loan next season and not forming part of our squad if we are serious about a promotion push.

I would rather friend was the 4th choice CB and Wood went out on loan for a season given he now 18 years of age and now needs to get experience. Same applies to Stubbs and Walker. They need to go make an impression at league 1 clubs ideally imo.

Honestly? I do agree. But "ideally" is the key phrase in your post, I think. If the ideal is compromising quality for quantity, I think I'd rather utilise the likes of Wood, Stubbs, Walker, etc than go for lesser quality in the initial selection. 

As Lurker pointed out, we have a low wage bill now, but there's so many positions which needs covering that, in reality, it doesn't amount to much in terms of deal:cost ratio.

Essentially, were going to have to utilise youth in some part of the squad. CM seems the most likely - Hackney, Liddle, Wearne - but we already have tons of options there. Aside from CM, the likes of Wood, Stubbs, and Walker seem the most likely given how short we are in those positions.

Also - at this stage of last year, who would've been happy with Pears, Spence, and Coulson playing the sort of roles they have this season...? Prior to any of the Pre-Season games?

4 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Promotion push? I'de be happy staying well away from the bottom third 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lurker said:

The last 2 sets of accounts we were at a total of -£4m. The latter of those was a £2m profit. 

We’ll have made a big loss this season but, if Gibson wants or can, he’d be able to have losses of around £20m next season and be within FFP. 

Like some have said, our wage bill couldn’t be much lower. We’ve got money to spend and plenty to spend on wages. Main issue is, we need a lot in so across what we need it won’t be that much. 

How do you think the empty stadiums will affect our ability to spend? 

I’ll be interested to see how Britt does if he stays. Our highest goal scorer since Viduka, at least 10 goals a season yet I don’t think he’s ever really been played to his strengths/been full of confidence. I feel for him a bit really. 

Bought by Monk and did well under him, then Pulis came in and clearly wanted rid. It was no secret he wanted to sell him and he criticised him most weeks - even when he scored there was a dig in there. Woodgate tried to boost his confidence with “he’s my number 9” support but that didn’t work too well either - and we know how poor that team was. 

How will he get on with a manager that likes him and a team and system that works to his strengths? Might be another false dawn but I’m excited to see what he does under a full season of Warnock. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’ll be interested to see how Britt does if he stays. Our highest goal scorer since Viduka, at least 10 goals a season yet I don’t think he’s ever really been played to his strengths/been full of confidence. I feel for him a bit really. 

Bought by Monk and did well under him, then Pulis came in and clearly wanted rid. It was no secret he wanted to sell him and he criticised him most weeks - even when he scored there was a dig in there. Woodgate tried to boost his confidence with “he’s my number 9” support but that didn’t work too well either - and we know how poor that team was. 

How will he get on with a manager that likes him and a team and system that works to his strengths? Might be another false dawn but I’m excited to see what he does under a full season of Warnock. 

Ultimately, what will determine Britt's performance is the supply he gets. Three decent attacking midfielders behind him would turn him into a 20-goal a season player, but lumping the ball sixty yards up the pitch while he's playing as a lone striker is pretty much guaranteed to waste his potential.

Despite the incredibly annoying grins and the terrible penalty taking, I think most Championship teams would love to have Britt. And most would enjoy double-figure goal returns every season if they had teammates in the same postcode as him.

• Like 1

While they'll have parachute payments, I imagine Watford getting relegated makes Gibbo coming home more likely, it's now not a discussion of "Premier league or championship football" but "championship, or possibly slightly worse championship football".

• Like 1

@ManBearPig. Luke Freeman a great shout. Dont think he got a look in at Sheff Utd and dont think he will next season as they targer bettee players.

Jota at Villa another we could possibly look at. Also not got much game time there this season.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Lurker said:

Like some have said, our wage bill couldn’t be much lower. We’ve got money to spend and plenty to spend on wages. Main issue is, we need a lot in so across what we need it won’t be that much. 

Earlier in the season the Gazette had our wage bill at about the £25 Million mark. We are one of the clubs that are really pressing to have an £18 million salary cap for the coming season. So we have to free up £7 Million. If it comes to fruition.

We've let Gestede, Ayala and Clayton go. Howson agreed a year extension (but unsure if that is on reduced terms), and if you read between the lines we are likely negotiating with Friend and Johnson over new deals (you'd expect on lower wages). I doubt that all of those get us close to £7 Million we need to shave off and that is before we bring in players. 

10 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Earlier in the season the Gazette had our wage bill at about the £25 Million mark. We are one of the clubs that are really pressing to have an £18 million salary cap for the coming season. So we have to free up £7 Million. If it comes to fruition.

We've let Gestede, Ayala and Clayton go. Howson agreed a year extension (but unsure if that is on reduced terms), and if you read between the lines we are likely negotiating with Friend and Johnson over new deals (you'd expect on lower wages). I doubt that all of those get us close to £7 Million we need to shave off and that is before we bring in players. 

The players that have left were possibly around 5m a year in total 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)