oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

15 minutes ago, Foogle said:

And 2 of them are the dregs we let go of 🤠

We did try to keep at least 1 of them though, presumably using the same negotiation tactics we're using on new signings. So the fact still remains he rejected us for another club, whatever the reasons behind it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tmcc said:

seen alot of post of people saying "dont worry most clubs arnt signing people", here the problem with that.  we have the joint smallest squad in the championship, only level with wycombe, and heres why our situation is worse, of the  20 players in the squad, 9  are 22 years old or younger. in fact were the 3rd youngest squad in the championship.

So were not only the smallest squad in the league, but also one of the youngest, add to this the fact we barely survived relegation last season and were one of the lowest scoring teams. we've lost 9 players who were in an around the first team and brought in one. From my prospective the outlook is pretty worrying.

finally, all though i agree all clubs are in the same situation and struggling in the market currently,, the situation and set up differs from club to club, and i dont think theres a club in the league in worse situation than Middlesbrough right now, couple this with our poor track record of signings over the last few seasons and i see no cause for optimism. 

You never win anything with kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

its easy to be miffed off at hearing players are turning us down over wage negotiations after wanting to come here. but screw them, players have far to much power now. even average and shiite players are holding clubs to ransom. they are all greedy selfish tossers. if we bow down to them we'd end up in a bigger mess financially than we already are. i'm glad we fob them off for being to greedy. let some other mug club pay over the odds for average run of the mill dross.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Don't buy that at all.  I don't see Warnock being enticed back to management with a nice 14th placed finish in mind.

He wasn’t, he was enticed back into management to save us from the drop. 
He probably decided to stay on because he loved the way Britt smiled at him. It’s no coincidence that Britt’s been given the armband. 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Call me crazy but I'd rather see Nathan Wood given a chance than 45 year old Sol Bamba ambling around

• Like 10

Currently if no one is sold and season started tomorrow I assume squad would look like this with following positions that need filling.

**Please note i am not saying first 11 will or should be starting 11 or that said player will play ahead of said other player or that certain players hav no future under Warnock etc etc. Its just how squad currently looks so to give us a rough idea of where we are.

Stojanovic
Dijksteel Hall Fry Coulson
Paddy Howson Sav
Tav Britt Fletch

Pears
Spence NEW, NEW, Bola
Wing NEW Browne
NEW, NEW, Johnson

Therefore we need a total of 5 players which fits in what Warnock has said all along. 5 or 6 new players.
That being 2 centre backs, 1 central midfielder, 1 wide man and 1 striker.

Based on who we been linked with, following are leading candidates for each position imo

CB 1: Gibson
CB2: Unknown
CM: Stewart
WIDE MAN: Roberts
STRIKER: Sanogo

Of that lot I am confident only one of them will come in- Ben! The others? I don’t think they want to come- even unknown CB!!

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Says who? I haven't seen a single article that says we were after so & so the only names I've seen have been on here within minutes, We don't know if anyone else is coming in 

Come on there isn’t going to be ‘articles’ on every single player we try to sign you should know that by now. I trust the itk people enough on here to be pretty sure that’s what’s happened.

Whilst I agree we definitely need strengthening I think we’re quite fortunate in that we have a decent selection of versatile players. Howson and McNair can comfortably cover multiple positions, Coulson and Johnson can both play as a winger, in a wing back role, or fill in as a left back if required. Tavernier and Browne are able to operate from either a wide or centrally attacking role. I’m slightly disappointed we haven’t done more business as we’ve lost a few players but I’m far more confident in Warnock managing what we have now than I was Woodgate managing last seasons arguably stronger squad. 

Whilst I agree we definitely need strengthening I think we’re quite fortunate in that we have a decent selection of versatile players. Howson and McNair can comfortably cover multiple positions, Coulson and Johnson can both play as a winger, in a wing back role, or fill in as a left back if required. Tavernier and Browne are able to operate from either a wide or centrally attacking role. I’m slightly disappointed we haven’t done more business as we’ve lost a few players but I’m far more confident in Warnock managing what we have now than I was Woodgate managing last seasons arguably stronger squad. 

50 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Leko is the only one I'm a bit bummed by, at 1m he seems like great value. 

Isn't he kinda like a slightly younger version of Fletcher though?

Well, the week is just about coming to a close, and Mr S Gibson has been asking Mr N Warnock "Hey, Neilly Baby, how was your week??"   

I'd be fascinated to know what sort of a reply he gets...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

You never win anything with kids.

What about Young Goat of the Year?

• Haha 2

Just now, Changing Times said:

What about Young Goat of the Year?

and child support

• Like 2