Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Thought Johnson played quite well.

His goal was almost entirely down to poor goalkeeping, but he still found him self in space and his assist was spot on.

Don't think he was at fault for any of their goals either, would be harsh to criticise him for playing on their player for the third, not sure why he's getting stick.

Basically because he doesnt have any idea how to defend and makes silly mistakes that often lead to goals. He isnt too bad at the opposite end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Yet if DJed Spence scored and got an assist people would be talking him up. I’ve said from the start that Marvin Johnson really hasn’t had a fair crack at it the Boro fans haven’t liked him since his displays under Monk when let’s face it most of the players were ****. Now every time he puts a foot wrong the fans kick off but when he does something good the fans still don’t want to compliment him. 

I dont mind Johnson as an wing back, but he is better at attacking than defending. The only issue I have with it is that Fry isn't great at LCB so it makes us a bit weak defensively down that side. If we had a left footed CB to play alongside him I don't think there would be any complaints about him as his defensive limitations wouldn't be exposed so often. 

Would anyone else try Bola over Fry in that LCB role? I mean, he can't do much worse and if that's the system we are playing we would still have Coulson to cover the LWB option.

I still think there's a defender in Fry by the way, this isn't knocking the lads abilities, but he's not very assured at all on that side. If you're gonna play him in a three has to be as the centre or right sided positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

I dont mind Johnson as an wing back, but he is better at attacking than defending. The only issue I have with it is that Fry isn't great at LCB so it makes us a bit weak defensively down that side. If we had a left footed CB to play alongside him I don't think there would be any complaints about him as his defensive limitations wouldn't be exposed so often. 

Would anyone else try Bola over Fry in that LCB role? I mean, he can't do much worse and if that's the system we are playing we would still have Coulson to cover the LWB option.

I still think there's a defender in Fry by the way, this isn't knocking the lads abilities, but he's not very assured at all on that side. If you're gonna play him in a three has to be as the centre or right sided positions.

Not a hope Bola hasnt yet shown he can even play LB/LWB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Not a hope Bola hasnt yet shown he can even play LB/LWB.

Imagine that LCB spot is a more limited role where he literally has to tackle and pass, with instructions not to push forward.

No getting caught out of position or attempting to make runs and not delivering well. Just tackle the player, cover a bit wider when Marv is going forward, and then pass the ball as soon as he gets it.

A much more limited role may be the making of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t it be better to just give the LCB spot to Wood and then shift Fry to RCB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Wouldn’t it be better to just give the LCB spot to Wood and then shift Fry to RCB. 

I didn't know what footed Wood was. Is that where he played last night? By all accounts Dijksteel was good last night so I'd be tempted to let him carry on at RCB and put Fry in the centre in place of Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Basically because he doesnt have any idea how to defend and makes silly mistakes that often lead to goals.

Didn't happen last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Wouldn’t it be better to just give the LCB spot to Wood and then shift Fry to RCB. 

Hall looked a bit suspect, dijsteel motm for me looked so comfortable, wood and stubbs must fancy there chances 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

I didn't know what footed Wood was. Is that where he played last night? By all accounts Dijksteel was good last night so I'd be tempted to let him carry on at RCB and put Fry in the centre in place of Hall

And have three relatively inexperienced players in defence, I'm not sure that would be good imo. People seem to have made their mind up that hall is no good, but his experience could help organise them a bit. Time will tell. Fry is very quiet and doesn't seem to direct ppl much, from what I've seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Imagine that LCB spot is a more limited role where he literally has to tackle and pass, with instructions not to push forward.

No getting caught out of position or attempting to make runs and not delivering well. Just tackle the player, cover a bit wider when Marv is going forward, and then pass the ball as soon as he gets it.

A much more limited role may be the making of him.

Well he hasnt ever played centre back in his career and isnt tall enough. Get someone in who can play that role and get rid of Bola unless he can play the LB/LWB role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really cant believe people are suggesting Grant Hall should be dropped after his 1st game in 6 months. The level of impatience in todays world is bonkers at times.

  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Not a hope Bola hasnt yet shown he can even play LB/LWB.

But he also only made 7 appearances for us last year for a team that was an absolute mess. He’s 22, had a top season for Blackpool in 18/19. He could come good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

But he also only made 7 appearances for us last year for a team that was an absolute mess. He’s 22, had a top season for Blackpool in 18/19. He could come good. 

I wasnt saying that he couldnt. Just that he hadnt so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, "KM" said:

Yet if DJed Spence scored and got an assist people would be talking him up. I’ve said from the start that Marvin Johnson really hasn’t had a fair crack at it the Boro fans haven’t liked him since his displays under Monk when let’s face it most of the players were ****. Now every time he puts a foot wrong the fans kick off but when he does something good the fans still don’t want to compliment him. 

It was maybe a bit harsh but lets be honest he has been exceptionally poor for us since he was signed, baring the odd decent game towards the end of last season. He deserves a fair crack this season though and I'll happily eat my words if he comes good but a goal and an assist against a League 1 side does not really change my opinion on him whatsoever as that is basically his level as far as I'm concerned. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I wasnt saying that he couldnt. Just that he hadnt so far.

Yep and I’m spinning it in a more positive light:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...