oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Warnocks free agent bargain bin extravaganza

More on Bettinelli

Warnock says they are hoping to get clearance for Bettinelli (who he keeps referring to as 'the goalkeeper') to play at Watford tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Sam Morsy

Asked about Morsy, says he's been optimistic about many players and they've not been able to get any over the line, so until he signs on the dotted line he won't say much.

On Bettinelli

Says he's optimistic of signing a GK today. That is of course Bettinelli arriving on loan from Fulham

Excellent, I was beginning to think that picture was photoshopped. 

More on Bettinelli

I've always liked Marcus. He was high on my list when I was at Cardiff but he got in the Fulham team.

He's been brilliant and when the opportunity came to get him I couldn't turn it down.

I always another top clas keeper this summer.

He's talking like a man who wants 6-7 bodies, we're basically closing in on 3 signings and he sounds like he wants more than another striker+CB after that...

Just now, Jamie-H said:

He's talking like a man who wants 6-7 bodies, we're basically closing in on 3 signings and he sounds oike he wants more than another striker+CB after that...

maybe Bailey wasn't so inaccurate after all!

The written press will ask him about Sanogo you'd think I can't believe Sky, I guess Downie?, didn't ask about him.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

maybe Bailey wasn't so inaccurate after all!

Tbf anyone can look at our squad and say we have 6 or 7 gaps- it's not insiders knowledge to say that the manager wants these gaps filled, its another question as to whether we can or not.

• Like 1

So it sounds like the ITKs have been right when they’ve expected someone to sign - we are getting close but can’t quite push them through. I’m guessing/hoping that there will be some reflection on what’s gone wrong and any lessons we can learn. 

Warnock's preferred formation is 4-3-3 so signing a very high quality Championship winger like Roberts will bring us closer to being able to play that way. If we signed Roberts, however, we would either have to buy at least another winger or play a current player in an unorthodox role on the other wing like Fletcher, Tavernier, Spence or Coulson. I think Fletcher's physicality and ability to drift infield from the left - which he done well at times under Pulis - would be the best option to adapt without signing another winger. Roberts is capable of some great crosses into the box so him having Assombalonga in the box and Fletcher drifting in at either the back post or in more central areas, gives me hope despite it not being a completely natural balance. That plan B of Fletcher at LW in a 4-3-3 could give Warnock the confidence to take the plunge on signing Roberts and then try to sign another winger.

• Like 1

I've never know a summer like this where so many players have come to Rockliffe but then get sudden cold feet and drift away

How come no mention of Sanogo he is having a medical today according to that footballinsider?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I've never know a summer like this where so many players have come to Rockliffe but then get sudden cold feet and drift away

Clearly we need to invest in socks..

• Haha 1